2015 President's State of the University Address

Christopher Walker

I don't understand our insistence on "expanding" out with these satellite campuses, especially with UNTD being the biggest joke in the metroplex.

We have plenty to work on at the flagship campus.

Probably to give more options for commuters and may alleviate some traffic.  Plus I'm sure the revenue possibilities are nice with doing that.  Seems like most schools are starting to do that in the big cities.

And that's it. No substantial acknowledgement of the Athletics situation

VTtM2mm.jpg

I get that it was primarily about closing the gaps, but they cared enough to have the AD there and in the video, and the pres mentioned baseball in passing... wish he had talked about it for a minute or two.

Edited by Cerebus

And that's it. No substantial acknowledgement of the Athletics situation, though this is of course primarily academic and institutionally focused.

That's disappointing...I am placing 100% of my hope in him to get the blessing of the BOR to fix the mess over in the athletic department. If he can't, won't, or isn't allowed to, that should tell us all we need to know to go in another direction with our time and money...

• Upvote 1

1. Find an image you like on the internet.
  2. Save it to your computer
  3. Go to www.imgur.com
  4. Drag and drop that image onto that website, hit the "Start Upload" button.
  5. Copy the link in the "Direct Link" slot.
  6. Start writing a new post on here.
  7. Click on the "Insert New Media" link
  8. Click on "Insert Media From URL"
  9. Paste the text you copied from the direct link in step 6.
  10. Bask in your own hilarity. 
  • Upvote 4

1. Find an image you like on the internet.
  2. Save it to your computer
  3. Go to www.imgur.com
  4. Drag and drop that image onto that website, hit the "Start Upload" button.
  5. Copy the link in the "Direct Link" slot.
  6. Start writing a new post on here.
  7. Click on the "Insert New Media" link
  8. Click on "Insert Media From URL"
  9. Paste the text you copied from the direct link in step 6.
  10. Bask in your own hilarity. 

If the image is somewhere on a random website, click and drag the image into your address bar and it pops out the original image address.

Or, if it's in google images, click on "view image" and it takes you to the original image address.

If you're on a phone, throw your hands up in frustration.

If the image is somewhere on a random website, click and drag the image into your address bar and it pops out the original image address.

Or, if it's in google images, click on "view image" and it takes you to the original image address.

If you're on a phone, throw your hands up in frustration.

I always like to put it on Imgur because

1) Some places really hate hotlinking and will either block the image or replace it with something really terrible.

2) You have no idea if someone will delete it.

Imgur is a big image hosting site, it's what they do.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand our insistence on "expanding" out with these satellite campuses, especially with UNTD being the biggest joke in the metroplex.

We have plenty to work on at the flagship campus.

I'm excited about setting up a small campus in Frisco.  I'll even see if I can sign up for some classes (if they are Technology based) to further my education.  Not everything has to be in Denton!

I'm no student and haven't been in near a decade but I've read several comments that even ones that leave early and try to find alternative ways to get to school they still make the overall time of commute super long.  

1. BS. I drove the 5 mile from my house to school every M, W and F. I was always able to find at least a decent spot. 

2. They can move closer and actually become a member of MGN rather thab a stick in the mud, life sucking future alum. Their choice. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not only was the State of the University talk excellent and enlightening regarding where we're are great and where we have work to do, but the Corridor of Years event was also excellent.  Several students were dressed in period dress and stationed near photos and memorabilia from that UNT era.  Looking at the memorabilia and remembering my time as a UNT undergrad was really fun.

And, it was sort of like the Oprah or Elken Show...everyone in attendance got a great UNT gift...men got a tie made from the new UNT Tartan pattern and the ladies received a UNT Tartan scarf.  Way cool.  I will wear my tie with pride, Thank you Dr. Smatresk, and my wife will proudly wear her tartan scarf.

It was a great way to celebrate our University's 125th birthday.

will someone please stop by on saturday morning and teach me how to do 2 things, after all, I am 48.  Explain to me what a GIF is and how to post one, and second, how the f do you upload a g.d. picture on this site.  

Please, I have free alcohol

and who took my danny meager avatar away from me?

no idea how to post a pic, but I'll gladly drink your alcohol...

• Upvote 1

1. BS. I drove the 5 mile from my house to school every M, W and F. I was always able to find at least a decent spot. 

2. They can move closer and actually become a member of MGN rather thab a stick in the mud, life sucking future alum. Their choice. 

I have to agree a little with Ben here.  I am on campus quite often at all different times of the day.  I can park where many students can and do park, and I can always find a place to park...always!  Sure, sometimes I have to walk a block or two...Boo Hoo!  

Now, it is definitely a fact that parking IS a challenge on the UNT campus, and it must and IS being reviewed with a look at easing some of the challenges.  But, every large campus has parking challenges.  Students who live off campus cannot expect to roll up ten min. Or even 30 before a class and expect to find a "front door" parking space.  Plan better folks, get to campus earlier, check out alternatives, as Ben says, move closer to campus if you can, find a friend and car pool, etc., etc. I started as an undergrad in the fall of 1966 and parking was a challenge THEN.  I had to get my rear to the campus much earlier than I expected, and guess what?  I arranged my class schedule to help with my parking challenges.  Adjust people adjust...it isn't that hard.  Be creative...take responsibility....do something.

But, let's be clear...parking is a challenge on and around the UNT campus and it is being researched for relief at the highest levels.  How long will it take?  What will the solution be?  New on campus housing?  Multi-level garages?  More surface parking? Who knows?  We will see when we see I guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Not only was the State of the University talk excellent and enlightening regarding where we're are great and where we have work to do, but the Corridor of Years event was also excellent.  Several students were dressed in period dress and stationed near photos and memorabilia from that UNT era.  Looking at the memorabilia and remembering my time as a UNT undergrad was really fun.

And, it was sort of like the Oprah or Elken Show...everyone in attendance got a great UNT gift...men got a tie made from the new UNT Tartan pattern and the ladies received a UNT Tartan scarf.  Way cool.  I will wear my tie with pride, Thank you Dr. Smatresk, and my wife will proudly wear her tartan scarf.

It was a great way to celebrate our University's 125th birthday.

So mad I got an ear infection and missed this. Thanks for all the updates @Christopher Walker. You as well Kram. @Ben Gooding I can always find a good spot. People just want it to be even easier. Big ol babies. Although, I am all for another parking garage.

Edited by North Texas Shep
  • Upvote 1