JUCO Target Bryson Smith

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe we are down to one scholarship left, and this could be a good get. The tweet is a little misleading, though. The 20.6 PPG number is for the three national tournament games (10, 28, 24). His season average was 14.8, but he put up 25+ in five regular season games. He had some bad games but still shot 49% for the season from 3-point land. His FT percentage could be better for a guard (74.6).

Local product from Mesquite and Dallas College. Don't think it takes green Kool-Aid to say we'd be the best option, unless he wants to get away from Texas for a bit. Three of his interested programs are from the Dakotas.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SUMG said:

Since that's a Dallas area juco......it's possible that we've offered him a walk on spot. I say that because.....the last time we got a juco player from the Dallas area.....he was a walk on....who eventually earned a scholarhip: The great JJ Murray. (arguably one of the best defenders....we've ever had). 

I thought that was where JJ came from.  I agree that he was one of our best defenders ever and hit some clutch threes, but it took him about a year to adjust to the D1 game.  I hope it is a PWO and we wait to see who is still out there to add.

Is there a time frame as to when players in the portal have to sign by or is it just a free for all?  I know they aren't technically signed until they enroll for classes, but was curious if there was a set signing period or not.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought that was where JJ came from.  I agree that he was one of our best defenders ever and hit some clutch threes, but it took him about a year to adjust to the D1 game.  I hope it is a PWO and we wait to see who is still out there to add.

Is there a time frame as to when players in the portal have to sign by or is it just a free for all?  I know they aren't technically signed until they enroll for classes, but was curious if there was a set signing period or not.

JJ was a walk-on but earned a scholarship after his first or second year. No time frame on when portal players sign. The only deadline is for when they must have entered the portal. 

• Upvote 4

Looked at JJ's Eastfield stats for comparison and he averaged 18.9 ppg in 32 games, hit 20 points or more in 15 games, and scored a game-high of 45 against (Dallas) Richland College.

Nothing against this guy as I've never seen him play but I hope this is a PWO. Would be great for him to come in and earn a scholarship like JJ did.

• Upvote 3

Is there a limit to the number of rostered players or just a limit on the number of scholarship players.  I'm not sure how the scholarship thing/limit really works in the age of NIL.  At scholarship limit?  Get a big enough NIL deal to cover the cost of attendance (tuition, R&B, books, fees, etc.) and then some.  Maybe not something UNT is in the position to do, but what's keeping Deep Pockets U from having more "scholarship" players on the roster than the limit allows?

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, keith said:

Is there a limit to the number of rostered players or just a limit on the number of scholarship players.  I'm not sure how the scholarship thing/limit really works in the age of NIL.  At scholarship limit?  Get a big enough NIL deal to cover the cost of attendance (tuition, R&B, books, fees, etc.) and then some.  Maybe not something UNT is in the position to do, but what's keeping Deep Pockets U from having more "scholarship" players on the roster than the limit allows?

In Dl basketball the men's limit is 13 scholarships and 15 total players on a team.  Women can offer 15 scholarships.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, NT80 said:

In Dl basketball the men's limit is 13 scholarships and 15 total players on a team.  Women can offer 15 scholarships.

I think the 15 refers to the number of players that can be on the bench in a game and play, not the total number of players allowed.  

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

23 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I think the 15 refers to the number of players that can be on the bench in a game and play, not the total number of players allowed.  

"According to NCAA rules, college basketball teams can have up to 15 players on their roster, but not all teams carry the maximum number of players. For example, D-I programs are limited to 15 roster spots and 13 scholarships. They will often bring in 17 to 20 players at the beginning of offseason training to compete for those 15 spots. The 13 scholarship players are guaranteed a spot, and it's up to the 3-6 walk ons to compete for the final 2."

• Upvote 2

On 5/14/2024 at 8:57 AM, Shark84 said:

I think we should hold on to that last spot and see if some higher rated guys in the portal don't find a home this summer. 

I count 2 spots left

Newll, Wright, Jossell, Floyd, Lorient, Mason, Massie, Vice, Walker, Sissoko, Stone

Who am I missing?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I count 2 spots left

Newll, Wright, Jossell, Floyd, Lorient, Mason, Massie, Vice, Walker, Sissoko, Stone

Who am I missing?

Alex Cotton

• Upvote 3