NT Daily Article: Attendance on the decline in 3 major sports

MGNation92

The message I got from RV and Smatresk was they are dropping the gauntlet, smirking at the fan base, and loudly saying "Bring it! You want a piece of me?". Disgusting, particularly from Smatresk. Looks like I misjudged him.

April. I'm making my decision to continue support or not in April

I think you're misreading Smatresk.  

Scott Sidway is doing a banner job reporting for the NT Daily.  He has a future in this profession and he could start by replacing Vito when he graduates.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I remember when I looked forward to football games.  Kinda looking at this weekend as a chore.  Glad I'll have an enclosed environment, because I highly doubt I'd go sit in the rain to watch us lose to the rodents with feathers.

Rain should be gone by then. 

I also view going into the game as a chore. I've had to force myself to get ready to tailgate all year. It used to be something I looked forward to doing. 

On the bright side, there are 3 straight road games after this week. 

RV sure knows how to schedule for a winless season...

Scott Sidway stated that he will post a transcript of the entire 2 hour interview with RV by the end of the weekend. It should be an interesting read.

the lies in that thing are going to be plentiful and humorous, for sure. 

• Upvote 1

So we actually have an actual attendance number? Why can't teams provide the true attendance number for each game then? Just to make themselves look better?

Basically. If you look at smoo's numbers they have like "28,000" per game, with 10k butts in seats. They are pretty notorious for that, looks like we are following in their footsteps

"When asked about the declining basketball numbers, Villarreal pointed to a sinking national average in basketball attendance. But an NCAA report shows last season’s national totals were actually higher than the previous season and was also the eighth highest attendance total in NCAA history."

I like how Sidway flat out said Rick was wrong.

RV wasn't wrong. He was lying.

There is a huge difference. 

• Upvote 6

"When asked about the declining basketball numbers, Villarreal pointed to a sinking national average in basketball attendance. But an NCAA report shows last season’s national totals were actually higher than the previous season and was also the eighth highest attendance total in NCAA history."

ballsy. VERY ballsy

May very well interfere with Scott being able to get Rick on record in the future but it had to be done.

Edited by Eagle-96

I think you're misreading Smatresk.  

Scott Sidway is doing a banner job reporting for the NT Daily.  He has a future in this profession and he could start by replacing Vito when he graduates.  

... You really think the kid gets as good of access once he working for the DRC instead of the SCHOOL paper...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Mr. Villarreal, I would honestly like to know how your conscience allows you to flat out lie.  How do you sleep at night, knowing that people who once stood behind you are now calling for your removal.  How do you hold food down knowing that your coaching hires routinely fail, and you have gone back on your promises of scheduling.  How do you look yourself in the mirror knowing that you are taunting the most die hard fans this school has ever had?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Is it just me or is RV going Fickey on the fan base? He's stopped just short of calling the fanbase MFers...

^ This is exactly whats happening. He is literally wrong about almost everything he says. Or like 90 points out, could be flat out lying. 

I am sorry, but people need to quit giving this fool money. He is blowing it and will continue to do so. 

• Upvote 2

Mr. Villarreal, I would honestly like to know how your conscience allows you to flat out lie.  How do you sleep at night, knowing that people who once stood behind you are now calling for your removal.  How do you hold food down knowing that your coaching hires routinely fail, and you have gone back on your promises of scheduling.  How do you look yourself in the mirror knowing that you are taunting the most die hard fans this school has ever had?

He has 375,000 things that help him sleep at night and will continue to have them until February 2018.

RV constantly lies. And I say that because, just like Sidway showed here, RV's lies are very easy to prove as factually innacurate. 

He may be young, but he's not a kid. According to his bio on his website he's about 28 and has a Master in Music. Oh wait, now it makes sense. It's the musicians trying to destroy our university again.

Yup. He's a professional. He's the beat writer for FC Dallas.

• Upvote 1

Just looking at the quotes and determining the hidden message -

“When seats start emptying out, I get worried,” UNT President Neal Smatresk said. “So I do want to see people engaged and in the seats.”
Prez noticed people are leaving and acknowledges that is bad. - Truth

“I don’t blame people for leaving after that kind of performance,” Smatresk said. “Would I like to see better and more? Yes. Do I hope good fans will find reason to be hopeful now? Yes I do. But those things will come in time, and there’s a timing for all the things that are happening here.”
Prez can't do what he wants to do right now because there is a "timing" for it. - Truth

“Do I worry about the decline? I think the decline happens at every institution when you don’t win as many games,” Villarreal said. “But I think there is a lot of positive talk about basketball right now.”
RV didn't answer the ? he asked of himself, but kind of acknowledged that if you stink attendance goes down. Followed that up with fiction - False

“You could count the 22 people in the stands. We’re not in that place anymore, not anywhere close,” Villarreal said. “Are we where we need to be? No. But that’s a culture that was built right around here for a long time. It doesn’t change overnight.”
I found this quote to be weird since the picture in the article allows you to count the number of people in the stands. Although he is right it's more than 22. Admitted we could do better. Then blamed it on a culture he has a responsibility to change. - False

“The reality is, it’s a minute few who are very loud,” Villarreal said. “If there was a concern of what was going on in the program right now, I don’t think people would be writing million dollar checks. I don’t think people would be buying club level seats and doing those things in season.”
I guess the first part is true, only a minute few are loud but only because only a minute few care. Not sure what a big check or someone buying a seat has to do with concern in the program. - False

Just because there’s a human cry, doesn’t mean that’s a truly representative view,” Smatresk said
Prez was doing so good until this quote - False

“Clearly we want more home games and more wins and big crowds because that’s just good business. It’s common sense,” Smatresk said. “But there’s another piece that is as important, or even more important. And that’s the engagement of our alumni and engagement of fans and people who are from the community who love to support this institution. It’s best when our athletic programs are being very successful, particularly with football and basketball.”
Prez recognizing that if the alums give up that is bad for business. - Truth

Overall Prez did pretty well and could be read that something is happening and he is concerned.

And RV is allergic to admitting things could be better.

• Upvote 2