NT Daily Article: Attendance on the decline in 3 major sports

MGNation92

I didn't read Smatresk's comments the same way. It feels like he is saying what he has to. He didn't seem to have the same tone as RV, who seemed to write off the issues. I feel like he is not throwing RV under the bus, but hasn't openly supported him either. He is playing a political game here and I hope that we don't force his hand this weekend.

No offense forevereagle but I think you are living in a dream world.  As a Denton native and UNT alum even I have come to the conclusion that UNT does not care about revenue athletics.  I would be surprised if there is a secret mandate coming out of Austin to keep FBS programs at public universities down because UT Austin and Texas A&M rely on the DFW area too much for athletes.  It is part of the reason UT Arlington killed their program years ago.  It is also why TCU and SMU can do better because they are beholden to the state.  It is very sad that is the case but all the evidence over the course of years and hideous statements by the president attest to that in my mind.  UNT is dropping down to FCS in couple of years, mark it down.  I think the move up to FBS was just a con to get better facilities to drop back down to FCS with better resources to compete.  It all wild speculation on my part, I know but I don't think it is illogical.  My last game will be the UTEP and I doubt I will ever step foot on campus again.  Once leadership tells me  "Bleep You" in a slightly round about way, I listen and believe you.  I feel so ripped off it isn't even funny.  I love my university but it doesn't love me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

No offense forevereagle but I think you are living in a dream world.  As a Denton native and UNT alum even I have come to the conclusion that UNT does not care about revenue athletics.  I would be surprised if there is a secret mandate coming out of Austin to keep FBS programs at public universities down because UT Austin and Texas A&M rely on the DFW area too much for athletes.  It is part of the reason UT Arlington killed their program years ago.  It is also why TCU and SMU can do better because they are beholden to the state.  It is very sad that is the case but all the evidence over the course of years and hideous statements by the president attest to that in my mind.  UNT is dropping down to FCS in couple of years, mark it down.  I think the move up to FBS was just a con to get better facilities to drop back down to FCS with better resources to compete.  It all wild speculation on my part, I know but I don't think it is illogical.  My last game will be the UTEP and I doubt I will ever step foot on campus again.  Once leadership tells me  "Bleep You" in a slightly round about way, I listen and believe you.  I feel so ripped off it isn't even funny.  I love my university but it doesn't love me.

Yes, NT spend $80m on a 30,000 seat stadium for their eventual move back to the FCS.  Don't confuse NT's athletic ineptness with a lack of desire to do well.  Not sure if you think there is a conspiracy or not by your comments, but that is one of the more amusing theories presented.  

• Upvote 2

After reading your entire comment, it may not be me living in a dream world. I don't believe that there is any mandate from Austin to keep NT athletics from competing. I think that our past leadership didn't put any emphasis on athletic success and it has been something that set us back a long time and history is tough to overcome with our current AD leadership. 

• Upvote 1

I think that our past leadership didn't put any emphasis on athletic success 

Past leadership didn't want alumni involved in university business AT ALL.  That is why athletics was ignored for such a long time, and why our development efforts are decades behind other schools, and why our endowment is ridiculously low.  

• Upvote 3

I wonder if he actually said a "hue and cry" instead of "human cry?" That would make more sense. 

"When asked about the declining basketball numbers, Villarreal pointed to a sinking national average in basketball attendance. But an NCAA report shows last season’s national totals were actually higher than the previous season and was also the eighth highest attendance total in NCAA history."

I like how Sidway flat out said Rick was wrong.

That's just good journalism. "If your mother says she loves you, check it out"

... You really think the kid gets as good of access once he working for the DRC instead of the SCHOOL paper...

You don't *need* great access to do good reporting. The interviews with RV help but reporting on the happenings of the athletic  department can be done without having a seat in the press box. It can be done without having 2-hour interviews. 

You don't *need* great access to do good reporting. The interviews with RV help but reporting on the happenings of the athletic  department can be done without having a seat in the press box. It can be done without having 2-hour interviews. 

The interesting part to me is not who is doing a better job vs. the two reporters, but that the AD decided to give this guy such a long audience and continues to shut out the external press (regardless of your thoughts on Vito.) It gives an insight into who he is trying to make sure reads what he says and his goals are.

• Upvote 4

The interesting part to me is not who is doing a better job vs. the two reporters, but that the AD decided to give this guy such a long audience and continues to shut out the external press (regardless of your thoughts on Vito.) It gives an insight into who he is trying to make sure reads what he says and his goals are.

This. 

Exactly this.

He also believes he can BS the young school newspaper reporters and thinks he can control the spin of the article. 

Hattiesburg Hustler always hustlin'.

• Upvote 3

CUSA Attendance 2014

1.       UTEP                     8,088

2.       Old Dominion    5,778

3.       Charlotte             5,111

4.       W. Kentucky      4,715

5.       Marshall               4,713

6.       MUTS                    4,465

7.       S. Miss                  4,408

8.       UAB                       4,304

9.       La. Tech                4,186

10.   N. Texas               2,453

11.   Rice                        1,624

12.   Fl. Intl                    1,474

13.   Fl. Atlantic           1,346

14.   UTSA                        937

Conference Average with UNT not included: 3,988

Throw out Outliers of UTEP & UTSA : 3,829

UNT Attendance before Benford: 4,006

Attendance Drop: 38.77%

At least we beat UTSA in something...

#UNTADforlife

I enjoyed watching that TCU win last night over WVU. I grew up in FW and my dearly departed pal, Richard Durrett, loved his Frogs. Seeing his family yesterday reminded me of how much he must be enjoying this program still, since they still follow them very closely.

Its just weird being an alum of a school who just doesn't give one rip about winning--to the point of making excuses and lies to keep an AD around because he has good friends on the BOR and with BMDs. My friends cannot believe that it has finally gotten to the point that I'm leaving the program behind. My UNT friends laugh that it only took me 20-25 years longer than it took them. My non-UNT friends know that it has been embarrassing forever, but they have always felt sorry for anyone who has tried to be a UNT fan. But I tell them that the last decade of absolute horseshit form football and basketball has finally brought me to this point, and they all say the same thing--"How in the $#^% does that AD keep his job?" And, finally, after 25 years, all I can say back to them is "Exactly"...

I have resigned myself to the reality that the last game at Apogee with Western Kentucky will be my last, since we have games on Halloween and on Thanksgiving weekend. Its been a ride, but in the end, I--along with others--just have to step off the roller coaster. The director of the ride doesn't even care if it isn't a satisfactory experience, as he knows that his bosses don't care, either. Just keep getting riders...even if the car only has a miniscule amount of people compared to those who come into the park. He knows that the park operators aren't paying to change the ride or rebuild it--just gonna keep offering it up as an possible attraction to consider trying.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Oh 

to Q: That's a great point. 

For everyone else:  don't know how much of the choice of outlet tells us about RV's intentional audience vs the access he has. Isn't there a whole beef thing between him and Vito? I don't see this as RV giving 2-hours to the Daily so much as the Daily being the only outlet willing to give so much time to RV. 

I'm not saying I know, I'm speculating. 

And for the record -- I have my criticisms with the way BV does his job, while fully acknowledging that he's just a guy doing his gig, and the level of effort is putting food on the table. I'd rather see a nice collection of professional media looking at this program than just storming the castle (DRC) to replace one beat writer with another. 

• Upvote 2

to Q: That's a great point. 

For everyone else:  don't know how much of the choice of outlet tells us about RV's intentional audience vs the access he has. Isn't there a whole beef thing between him and Vito? I don't see this as RV giving 2-hours to the Daily so much as the Daily being the only outlet willing to give so much time to RV. 

I'm not saying I know, I'm speculating. 

And for the record -- I have my criticisms with the way BV does his job, while fully acknowledging that he's just a guy doing his gig, and the level of effort is putting food on the table. I'd rather see a nice collection of professional media looking at this program than just storming the castle (DRC) to replace one beat writer with another. 

The fact that RV wasted 2 hours of time that could have been spent on anything better than justifying his paycheck with lies tells you just how bad of an AD there is at UNT. 

Keep your mouth shut and do your job. That's what should be happening after the coach you hired just suffered the worse loss in college football history. 

Shut up and put up.

He can't put up, hence he can't shut up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The fact that RV wasted 2 hours of time that could have been spent on anything better than justifying his paycheck with lies tells you just how bad of an AD there is at UNT. 

Keep your mouth shut and do your job. That's what should be happening after the coach you hired just suffered the worse loss in college football history. 

Shut up and put up.

He can't put up, hence he can't shut up.

If he would abide by this, then you'd say: "Why won't RV talk to the media?  He's scared of his lies being exposed!"   Catch-22 I guess.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If he would abide by this, then you'd say: "Why won't RV talk to the media?  He's scared of his lies being exposed!"   Catch-22 I guess.

No, I wouldn't.

But then again, if he was doing his job, none of this would be happening, so of course he is going to not do his job some more and talk to the media instead.

Did Patterson at UT give 2 hour interviews to the school newspaper trying to justify his job? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The lying by RV in this article is absurd. He is in full spin control mode. He operates under the motto "repeat it often and with feeling and they will believe it." 

UNT's basketball attendance is a reflection of general NCAA attendance decline? WTF!!! No, liar, it's because you hired a coach that destroyed the program. And you and everyone who was a fan in 2012 knows it. 

Lying, no, merely a sidestep......