***OFFICIAL Memphis State vs UNT Game Thread***

Coach Andy Mac

20 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

How is he inexperienced. He was a head coach at Incarnet Word. Football is football. 

I upvoted this and you are correct.  However,  for a job of this magnitude and what this program needs to do he doesn't have the FBS head coaching experience necessary for this difficult job.  If this was 7 years ago when Seth was hired that is a different story in a weaker conference.   At the end of 2022, nobody on this board was ready to take a step back to make a step forward as a program.   We also aren't that demanding; we would have been content with a 4-4 record today understanding the coach is new.  We would then be looking at losing our next 2 games versus UTSA and SMU.  That would set us up to have bowl eligibility on the line for the last 2 games.  And those games are winnable.  I and many others believe there were better Head Coaches and Defensive Coordinators available especially if you pull the trigger on Seth last season earlier.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, meangreenbob said:
1 hour ago, Venson said:

I was for a moral victory last week, but this is not a moral victory. This is an inexperienced HC getting out coached. This is a horrible DC. The players didn't lose this game, the coaches did. 

I’m far from upset with Morris. Caponi is trying to run a system that we do not have the players to run. We have a true NG, another NG playing DE and an undersized player at the other DE. We don’t have the DL players to fit this system. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry, I was playing for the win, not the tie. I would rather go up four and make the other team have to go all the way down the field for a TD and not just have to get into FG range. 

Me too.  Worst case you kick to tie.  But you had 3 plays to get a TD.  You run on first down.  Maybe you still score, but if not, they have to burn a timeout or you run clock.  Then you get two plays to get the TD.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

22 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry, I was playing for the win, not the tie. I would rather go up four and make the other team have to go all the way down the field for a TD and not just have to get into FG range. 

Yes, always play for the win until you're out of downs, then settle for the tie.  To do otherwise just to run 5 seconds off the clock is stupid. 

You foul then on defense if you need to, but NEVER let a receiver touch the ball near the endzone with only 12 seconds left.  This is not the NFL; it's not a spot foul, it's only a 15 yard penalty max.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

36 minutes ago, NT80 said:

Yes, always play for the win until you're out of downs, then settle for the tie.  To do otherwise just to run 5 seconds off the clock is stupid. 

You foul then on defense if you need to, but NEVER let a receiver touch the ball near the endzone with only 12 seconds left.  This is not the NFL; it's not a spot foul, it's only a 15 yard penalty max.

Normally I’d agree with you.  IF we had a defense that wasn’t the worst in the country.  But we do, so you freaking keep them OFF the field as much as possible and don’t let them beat you.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

8 minutes ago, NT93 said:

So you trust our defense to hold them out of the end zone from 35 yards out with unlimited time in overtime more than holding them from 75 yards out in 44 seconds?

First time in my life I’ve ever heard that a team would have been better off running more clock and kicking a tying field goal than scoring to take a 4 point lead.  

I’m with you, man. Scoring the touchdown there is a must. I’m not messing around.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

Me too.  Worst case you kick to tie.  But you had 3 plays to get a TD.  You run on first down.  Maybe you still score, but if not, they have to burn a timeout or you run clock.  Then you get two plays to get the TD.

If you are thinking like that win a defense that has 9 or more starters out of 11 available in that situation it screams that you don't have a DC you believe in.  The moment you think like that and you aren't facing a team that routinely scores 35+ on GOOD P5 teams your next thought is when should I announce the DC is fired or that we are bringing in a high profile defensive "consultant".  (Really just an excuse to hire the new DC in waiting letting him try out for the job)  So you go to OT in the bleed the clock scenario.   YOUR DEFENSE STILL HAS TO MAKE A STOP IN OT TO WIN!  🤦🏽‍♂️.  So if they can't keep a team out the endzone with 75 yards to go and 50 seconds what is the defense going to do on their own 25 without any clock to aid them? 

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BluffCity901 said:

You guys are are a good ball club. I think you will only improve with the right leadership. But, to expect to compete with a new coach in a better conference ( even though we are down) for championships in your staffs first year...issss a bit delusional

I don't think anyone on this board expected our team to be in the running for the AAC Championship game.  But we did expect to get to the last 2 games of the regular season with an opportunity to get to 0.500 and bowl eligibility.  With this loss we will be lucky to get to 5-7.

12 hours ago, aprice said:

The offense is very good

I'll judge the head coach after the season if we don't clean house on the defensive side. It's not just coming out flat literally every game or bad schemes or bad fundamentals, it's also shockingly bad situational awareness.

That said if they are able to find even a mediocre defensive staff, we'll be in the hunt for a championship. 

We scored 7 in the first half this game and 0 in the first half against Tulane. Zero in the first half against Cal. 10 in the first three quarters versus Navy. 
This is not a very good offense. It is an explosive offense that is wildly inconsistent. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

14 hours ago, NT93 said:

So you trust our defense to hold them out of the end zone from 25 yards out with unlimited time in overtime more than holding them from 75 yards out in 44 seconds?

First time in my life I’ve ever heard that a team would have been better off running more clock and kicking a tying field goal than scoring to take a 4 point lead.  

Good thing I said the field goal would be the worst case scenario as our offense still had two more attempts from a couple yards out to score and seal the game leaving Memphis l let zero time on the clock….

• Downvote 1

4 hours ago, meangreenbob said:

Wonder what’s he thinks when that Direct Deposit hits his account? “This is too good to be true?” 

He has to be, right? He's at the apex of his career earnings and he knows it. I couldn't imagine what he says in staff meetings trying to secure another year. I am certain he is 1000000000% pointing fingers at assistants and/or players. 

• Eye Roll 1