PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Did ASU and Utah cause themselves not to get a full share?

I think this translates into the Big 12 pondering which PAC-12 teams are the most attractive to grab now that the PAC-12 is all but dead.

Maybe the Big 12 would see Stanford as a more attractive team/school than Arizona State for example.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Houston, SMU, et al. technically never played in the Big East.  The Catholic schools left the conference and took the "Big East" name with them before the 2013 season began.

Yea, I was just talking about the power conference autobid they inherited for one year from the old Big East. Additionally, the American retained all football records from the former Big East.

As for raiding G5s…..Pete Thamel said on ESPN that any thoughts of the Pac 12 “just adding from the MWC” wouldn’t work because it would cost $30+ million per school to join. That’s not gonna happen. 

I don’t know what it would cost to leave the AAC (I’m assuming less than that) but why add a bunch of travel expenses and pay an exit fee to join a conference that used to have a good name and has no media deal. What’s the upside? Playing Stanford? That’s not worth it. The “Pac12” name doesn’t mean anything anymore. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2023 at 9:42 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

Honestly,  now that CU is migrating back East to the Big12, now might be the best time to reach out again to COSt & Air Force, so we can get another Service Academy in the fold.  And COSt just built a new on-campus stadium.  They'd pair nicely together. 
I don't know that Wazzu or ORSt, or any of the other remaining Pac12 teams (assuming AZ & AZSt go Big12) bring anything to the table that COSt & Air Force wouldn't... except for those awful, much-hated, late-night away gamez!!!!1!!!1!

I don't believe that it would be wise to pursue any of the remnants of the Pac 12.  The travel expense, the late night games, and the cost multiplies when it includes basketball x2, soccer, and softball.  Track and field and cross country as well as golf x2 would only require conference tournaments so that's doable.  And what about Temple or East Carolina having to travel to Corvalis, Oregon?  

I think that Colorado State and Air Force should be the only western schools considered.

Furthermore, I hope that the AAC is capped at sixteen teams.

51 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Yea, I was just talking about the power conference autobid they inherited for one year from the old Big East. Additionally, the American retained all football records from the former Big East.

So Jace Ruder might break records of Gino Torretta? Or Donovan McNabb? That’s wild. 

1 hour ago, ForneyGreen said:

I think this translates into the Big 12 pondering which PAC-12 teams are the most attractive to grab now that the PAC-12 is all but dead.

Maybe the Big 12 would see Stanford as a more attractive team/school than Arizona State for example.

Would Big12 propose merging all the remaining PAC into it?   Big22?  

Smut is crying by the minute!!  Lol

1 minute ago, NT80 said:

Would Big12 propose merging all the remaining PAC into it?   Big22?  

From what I've read, ESPN and Fox were willing to go to 14 with equal payouts to new members. Up to 16 was a question mark. Really doubt they'd turn around and give an equal share to all Pac refugees when they walked away from that conference in the first place.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I don't believe that it would be wise to pursue any of the remnants of the Pac 12.  The travel expense, the late night games, and the cost multiplies when it includes basketball x2, soccer, and softball.  Track and field and cross country as well as golf x2 would only require conference tournaments so that's doable.  And what about Temple or East Carolina having to travel to Corvalis, Oregon?  

No, you absolutely do not pursue OSU/WSU. Those are solid MWC schools.

Stanford/Cal is a different story. Aresco should be on the first flight out to SFO.

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen01 said:

I see Stanford and Cal going independent before they would ever join a non P5 conference (or now non P4 conf). Obviously would love to have both in AAC. 

Cal absolutely can't afford to go independent. Their options (assuming invites) from best to worst are 1) Join AAC, 2) Join MWC, 3) Drop to FCS, 4) Drop football.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, ForneyGreen said:

I would love to see them tell Utah don't call us; we'll call you and go with Stanford

2 hours ago, RBP79 said:

So how can the PAC maintain P5 status with the media rights going to Apple Streaming and all these Universities leaving? Yea...streaming maybe the future but it ain't right now and might be a while before that comes close to being true...

I really really REEAAAAALY wish that we could decouple sports from other services (Youtube TV, Fubo, etc...). I'd happily pay 20 a month for a couple streaming services and watch just college football over $70-100 a month packages that I will never watch anything else on. Now I just use trial accounts each weekend out of spite.

Stadium left a bad taste in our mouth, but the needle has to move that direction eventually. Apple is a much better play than Stadium/Facebook was, but I definitely see the same issue as Thursday night football on Prime (which I'm grateful for, because I already have prime)

• Upvote 1

Zach Ballard writing for SB Nation suggested that Mountain West would dissolve, with six stronger programs (AF, Boise, Colo State, Fresno, SDSU, and UNLV) joining the Pac 12 remnants. The problem would be getting nine votes to dissolve with six of the twelve left hanging. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

Slightly worried about the MWC getting stronger and trying to go big. Or splitting in two. Not worried about the PAC. Its a conference who is down to essentially 4 teams, 2 of which are still hoping to get into the B1G and, finally they also owe still about 50 to 70 million elsewhere (comcast etc). Why keep that albatross around if you don't need to? Much more likely teams will get absorbed by the MWC than the other way around.

Edited by outoftown

1 minute ago, rws69 said:

Zach Ballard writing for SB Nation suggested that Mountain West would dissolve, with six stronger programs (AF, Boise, Colo State, Fresno, SDSU, and UNLV) joining the Pac 12 remnants. The problem would be getting nine votes to dissolve with six of the twelve left hanging. 

I could see them do that. The answer is: You swallow the pill and take more than 6 with you.

1 hour ago, meanrob said:

So Jace Ruder might break records of Gino Torretta? Or Donovan McNabb? That’s wild. 

Well, I don’t know about that. The American in its media guide seems to only list records from 2013 on as if it was an entirely new conference. The American is the legal successor to the original Big East and the new Big East was a brand new spin-off conference.

Edited by Cr1028