Breaking: North Texas hires Coach O as Director of Recruiting

TheReal_jayD

OK, now with coach O getting in the door. Breaking the ice, pumping up NT, then setting up visits for guys like Gilbert & Svoboda…. the Jimmies & Joes will come.

I don’t think I’ve seen this many guys who are as well connected as what we’ve picked up so far… more to come!

Need to make sure the Xs & Os match.  Because it won’t matter if we can’t get the guys to win games.

• Upvote 7

7 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

This is a great listen.  At about the 18:50 mark he talks about Coach Gilbert ... I believe that's now our Coach Gilbert. 

• Upvote 5

18 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

This is a great listen.  At about the 18:50 mark he talks about Coach Gilbert ... I believe that's now our Coach Gilbert. 

There's another very interesting nugget at 30:52.  This interview is from July 2020 and he was asked about getting back into coaching.  He says he would eventually like to work at a D1 school but not as a position coach.  Instead, he wants to work recruiting.  Sounds like a very good match for what we need.  

Honestly, the entire interview is very interesting and well worth a listen. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

@TheReal_jayDThis is obviously a massive haul for us to get Coach O with some of the deepest connections in TXHSFB, so did we go to him and basically offer him the job on the spot or were there other candidates?

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

"O" how Christmas has come early. Merry Christmas and Go Mean Green!!!

I can't wait to see how our roster looks after the February signing day.

Not sure how much roster turnover we will have this year?   Didn't we only have limited ships available?  Can we also replace leaving portal player ships, but only up to a max of 25, correct?   

I'd rather have mostly college-experienced portal players added this year, just to fill needed gaps right away.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

I think it is important to remember that coach O also knows the high-profile recruits that went out of state and have since decided to jump into the portal. If those guys want to come back to Texas, he's probably going to be one of the first to know about it. 

This.  Experienced portal players!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Looks like a great hire, but the thread title just about gave me a heart attack.  I thought we were going to hire this Coach O as director of recruiting . . .

MTM2ODEuanBn

That was my first thought and was feeling like…..

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952i90ktzunomvq6u0s0v9

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NT80 said:

Not sure how much roster turnover we will have this year?   Didn't we only have limited ships available?  Can we also replace leaving portal player ships, but only up to a max of 25, correct?   

I'd rather have mostly college-experienced portal players added this year, just to fill needed gaps right away.

25-spot per class limit is gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, TheReal_jayD said:

nunmekpwvkohz1i1w82b

☝️This Coach O is >>> in the DFW/Texas recruiting world than than this Coach O👇

image.jpeg

Do you agree @GMG24?

I’m sorry man, I hope this guy (who I have never heard of) turns out to be great but Orgeron is known as one of the best college football recruiters of all time.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m sorry man, I hope this guy (who I have never heard of) turns out to be great but Orgeron is know as one of the best college football recruiters of all time.

And he would ask our Coach O where to send his guys when coming to DFW 🫣🫣

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2