G5s Finally Getting Together......Talking About Their Future

SUMG

1 minute ago, NT93 said:

My initial reaction is “Please let this happen.”  

I've been saying for a while now....that we need something different. We'll never compete for a natty in football....in the situation we're in now. And going to these mundane bowls....has gotten monotonous. (sp?)

There are so many bowls now....it's ridiculous.

So maybe a G5 tourney....competing for that level's national title....might be cool.

Anyway...this certainly intrigues me. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, SUMG said:

I've been saying for a while now....that we need something different. We'll never compete for a natty in football....in the situation we're in now. And going to these mundane bowls....has gotten monotonous. (sp?)

There are so many bowls now....it's ridiculous.

So maybe a G5 tourney....competing for that level's national title....might be cool.

Anyway...this certainly intrigues me. 

Will people care, though? Is there a market for this? Is Buffalo vs Coastal Carolina going to fill up At&t in Dallas for the G5 national championship? Will the game Crack even 3M viewers? On the surface it appears to be an ok idea. But reality might set in and a move like this might push people away more than it brings them together. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

43 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

So, why wouldn’t the G5 schools try to form their own system?  And, I would jack the price for a visit to a P4 stadium up to a $3M minimum that ALL G5 schools hold firm on.   If Texas wants to go 12-0 they either have to play the other “big boys” or pay the piper💰 

Bingo. But higher. 

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

I think this is inevitable but I would imagine the split is going to come with a ton of caveats.  

The best case (realistic) scenario for the G5 is to form their own division and play in the spring.  Allow players transferring from P4 to G5 division to be granted immediate eligibility.  Without having to fight the P4 for eyeballs in the fall the attention would be solely on the G5 division.  How many more people will watch a North Texas game in the early April when there is zero competition?  

I would also be very leery of the private equity angle but its at least worth exploring.

I also like the idea of regionalism in this new division.  A league consisting of UNT, UTSA, Rice, Tulane, Tulsa, LA Tech, UTEP, Texas State, and Arkansas State would be really fun and create easy/affordable travel.  It'll take a few years to work out the details but this is where things are headed.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7

The proposal in the article is not 1-A and 1-AA again with separate playoffs.  The proposed 8 regional G5 conferences and their champions would simply play a Tourney at the end of the regular season to determine the G5 representative into the larger, National CFP.   

I really don't know how they could do that many games.   The G5 playoff would add 3 games beyond the regular 12 game season plus conference championship game = 16.  Then the CFP could be another 3-4 games on top of all that =19-20 total games.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

It’s a no brainer.  

In the old days I knew Dickey’s Sun Belt champion teams weren’t realistically going to get a shot at a national title, but we were at least playing in the same league…a home run recruiting class and a friendly schedule and we had a chance to have a Boise State type string of seasons.  With this new system, there is ZERO chance of building a competitive squad…the second we show potential with all-conference type players, they’re gone.   A Brandon Kennedy would be a one year player in today’s landscape.  

So, why wouldn’t the G5 schools try to form their own system?  And, I would jack the price for a visit to a P4 stadium up to a $3M minimum that ALL G5 schools hold firm on.   If Texas wants to go 12-0 they either have to play the other “big boys” or pay the piper💰 

I've been screaming for a mutually inclusive deal among G5s to set a standard visit fee for the better part of 15 years. 

I think interest wans incessantly if this happens. I don't hate the idea of it, but I hate the idea of UNT basically being relegated to how the FCS is generally viewed. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Will people care, though? Is there a market for this? Is Buffalo vs Coastal Carolina going to fill up At&t in Dallas for the G5 national championship? Will the game Crack even 3M viewers? On the surface it appears to be an ok idea. But reality might set in and a move like this might push people away more than it brings them together. 

As it stands now, I think it’s a valid question.  What needs to happen is that the top 30 form their own league.  That leaves the G5 with a lot of really good teams that would draw lots of interest.  For example, if aTm and UT are the only “big boys” in Texas, there will be plenty of interest from Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc.  

Now, will my scenario ever happen?  I doubt it as it’s too good to be true.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NT93 said:

As it stands now, I think it’s a valid question.  What needs to happen is that the top 30 form their own league.  That leaves the G5 with a lot of really good teams that would draw lots of interest.  For example, if aTm and UT are the only “big boys” in Texas, there will be plenty of interest from Tech, Baylor, TCU, etc.  

Now, will my scenario ever happen?  I doubt it as it’s too good to be true.

The scenario/Q that always lingers for me is will the big money conferences ever consider dropping their dead weight? If they do, it clearly signifies a move to a legitimate semi-pro farm system setup for the NFL in a very clear and concise manner. If they don't, money will continue to bleed into incompetent hands and they'll continue playing the charade of "student"-athlete all the while dragging us all through their circus like marionettes. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

The proposal in the article is not 1-A and 1-AA again with separate playoffs.  The proposed 8 regional G5 conferences and their champions would simply play a Tourney at the end of the regular season to determine the G5 representative into the larger, National CFP.   

I really don't know how they could do that many games.   The G5 playoff would add 3 games beyond the regular 12 game season plus conference championship game = 16.  Then the CFP could be another 3-4 games on top of all that =19-20 total games.

I missed that....when I first read it. Yeah....no way. I only want a separate G5 championship. I don't want a play-in tourney for the CFP. To Hell with that. Now....if they still want to take a 12th G5 each year for the CFP (based on regular season and conference championship games, if those still exist)....that would be okay. Then the rest of the top G5s could have their own natty. 

• Upvote 2

I would mirror the existing 1AA football playoff system using the  minor bowls as sites simply because this would be the path of least resistance. There is no way the G6 programs are included in the P4 playoff plans when they spin off. Once that is accomplished then you approach geographical conference realignment with the understanding that it is going to be a hard sell. The P4 schools could be called D1, G6 schools D1A, with the existing 1AA classification remaining the same. It works in high school and would work in college as well. Schools could be classified either by NIL funds or total athletic budget. Based upon historical alumni giving North Texas will struggle to be competitive in NIL funding.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

12 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

It’s a no brainer.  

In the old days I knew Dickey’s Sun Belt champion teams weren’t realistically going to get a shot at a national title, but we were at least playing in the same league…a home run recruiting class and a friendly schedule and we had a chance to have a Boise State type string of seasons.  With this new system, there is ZERO chance of building a competitive squad…the second we show potential with all-conference type players, they’re gone.   A Brandon Kennedy would be a one year player in today’s landscape.  

This will still happen if the G5 forms its own league. The only thing that will stop it, or slow it down, is player contracts. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SUMG said:

I missed that....when I first read it. Yeah....no way. I only want a separate G5 championship. I don't want a play-in tourney for the CFP. To Hell with that. Now....if they still want to take a 12th G5 each year for the CFP (based on regular season and conference championship games, if those still exist)....that would be okay. Then the rest of the top G5s could have their own natty. 

This is what the G5s need to be doing. Using every legal option they have to keep their lone spot in the CFP, while having their own G5 postseason tournament. I imagine it would generate a lot more interest and money than random bowl games played in empty stadiums. 

The top ranked G5 team should go to the CFP, and the next 12 best teams should be in a tournament that's played on campuses. The only game that's off campus should be the championship. Maybe rotate it between Atlanta, NOLA, Dallas, and Houston. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jtm0097 said:

Include relegation in the model. 

Teams that play in the G5 championship get automatically moved to P4.

Lowest P4 teams, get moved to G5 to replace the two lost teams.

I like that model.  Still offers the G5s the opportunity to move up.  The problem, like now with portal and NIL, is the program that gets promoted still has roster-makeover each year.  It will not be the same quality anymore as the previous great season.

• Upvote 2