Breaking: North Texas hires Coach O as Director of Recruiting

TheReal_jayD

36 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m sorry man, I hope this guy (who I have never heard of) turns out to be great but Orgeron is know as one of the best college football recruiters of all time.

Kinda splitting hairs here, but I’m not feeling this comparison here. Orgeron is who he is because he’s a great salesman, right?. Coach O strikes more like the familial trust. Want a guy to make a pitch? Oregron. Want the guy who has the respect of the high schools, and a read on nearly any community we want to reach out to? Coach O.

a little overlap, I suppose, but I still feel like the difference is important.

• Upvote 5

17 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Kinda splitting hairs here, but I’m not feeling this comparison here. Orgeron is who he is because he’s a great salesman, right?. Coach O strikes more like the familial trust. Want a guy to make a pitch? Oregron. Want the guy who has the respect of the high schools, and a read on nearly any community we want to reach out to? Coach O.

a little overlap, I suppose, but I still feel like the difference is important.

I don’t know squat about Justin Owens. The thread title said we hired Coach O, not we “hired Justin Owens, aka Coach O”. I simply said I envisioned Orgeron based on the thread title and my mind was blown. Then I realized it was someone else. JayD said this guy is better at recruiting Dallas than Orgeron, I say that remains to be seen since Orgeron is a legend in recruiting who is well-known throughout the nation. If you walk into any sports bar in this country outside of possibly a 10 mile radius in south Dallas, EVERYONE in that bar will say Orgeron if you ask who Coach O is. Justin Owens may be great but right now it is all hype because Owens has never coached or worked above the high school level and he doesn’t have the recruiting reputation of the real coach O. All I ask is show me. Don’t tell me how great a recruiter you are, show me how great a recruiter you are.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

I promise you it's not just a 10 mile radius of South Dallas. He has helped so many kids around DFW including the Denton area get scholarships and has thousands of parents, coaches and athletes who think the world of him. On a national scale, sure, Orgeron would be better for this role, but for what we plan to achieve locally I would rather have him and I have zero doubt he will show you in short order.

Thank you. I hope he does.

• Upvote 2

I’m going to ask a very basic and dumb question here, but I feel it hasn’t fully been stated…

Yes, Coach O (the UNT Coach O) has ties to DFW and the state, he has helped many kids/families get kids off to college for sports but with that being said… Family/personal connections can get you so far on the recruiting trail, what else can he bring that will help us close on these potential hotbed or recruits?

yes it’s great to connect with ABC recruit, but will that personal connection help us best out a UH? SMU? MEM? Or random service academy, who have had successful seasons being ranked, beating ranked teams, bowl games, and NFL Success?

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

I’m going to ask a very basic and dumb question here, but I feel it hasn’t fully been stated…

Yes, Coach O (the UNT Coach O) has ties to DFW and the state, he has helped many kids/families get kids off to college for sports but with that being said… Family/personal connections can get you so far on the recruiting trail, what else can he bring that will help us close on these potential hotbed or recruits?

yes it’s great to connect with ABC recruit, but will that personal connection help us best out a UH? SMU? MEM? Or random service academy, who have had successful seasons being ranked, beating ranked teams, bowl games, and NFL Success?

I think it’s a valid question we won’t know the answer to until probably 2024 signing day.   If Morris can win this season & avoid blowout losses to anyone, recruiting will do well, because Coach O & staff won’t just have relationships, but actual results to cite.  If we struggle to .500 or less, Coach O is really going to have to lean on those relationships to pull talent to NT.

I’m really hoping Coach O’s previous relationships help us right now in navigating the portal to bring DFW talent home!  We’ll see on Feb 1st!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ExADofficeIntern said:

We won't know until signing day, but I can tell you this staff will be in on every guy out there in DFW that can play and we have a shot on.  SMU is paying players again, and they will be tough as UH and Memphis and now Tulane etc.  The reality is that these programs can only sign so many players themselves and have their own issues.  I see the biggest bump for us being in south dallas.  I think there is a dearth of talent on the southside that we have not really even been in the conversation with.  I also think the recruiting staff takes on the personality of the head coach.  Littrell is a good guy but he's not a people person.  I know some HS coaches that mistook that as arrogance.

• Upvote 1