• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Aldo

Call out your bold 2016 sleeper before everyone else.

Guys like Ivery and Goree don't count.

I will go with Thadd Thompson. He's big, strong, and aggressive at the LOS and I liked his JUCO tape. He's got one year under his belt at the FBS level, and hopefully with a good QB. He can function well as an outside receiver. 

O/U at 40 rec 600 yards 4 TDs. (which I think is an ambitious prediction of the passing attack)

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

O'Keeron Rutherford.

Tall, fast. If he can learn to use his body he will be the ideal outside receiver for this offense.

O/U 35 Rec 400 yds and 6 TD

It would be so crazy if Dillman, Chumley, and Rutherford all end up being outside receivers. They would tower over the corners.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

where would he play, based on formation? Is he strickly OLB or can he play nickel?

I guess it really depends on what Ekeler determines the defensive formation will be.
As long as it's not a 4-2-5, I'm betting he'll stay at Will.  If 4-2-5, he might have to play Mike.  I'm betting he'll play WILL in a 3-3-5 base.  I don't know that he'll be a nickel guy, but he did have some nice highlights in coverage from his time @ TVCC.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I agree with the Finney pick.  He seemed lost at times last year which was likely due to him not understanding the schemes.  I think he will fair much better this season.

I also think finney should shine.  Had a fumble recovery against iowa, almost had a pick 6 vs tennessee, and would have most likely been player of the game against UTEP, if the game wasn't just given away by the coaching staff.  He forced two fumbles and returned one for a TD.  He has shown glimpses that he can play.  Needs to come in 2016 in better shape too.

Finney was actually the sixth leading tackler last year and moves up to fourth returning behind McClain, Gray and Scott.  He really isn't what I'd call a sleeper.  But, I do agree that he'll be one of the better ones this year.

For someone who was a redshirt last season and has yet to play my pick is Taylor Robinson.  He's going to have it tough getting much playing time this year what with Buyers, Davis and Brooks having had good years at corner.  So, my hope is that he is made a safety and gets some playing time behind McClain and Gray.

As for those who played last year, I like Tuaalo who did very well in a non-starting role.

I'm gonna go with Tyler Wilson. Good hands and very elusive. I think he is one of our return men, and I think we see him at receiver as well.

I had Nate Brooks as my under-the-radar true freshman contributor last year, and Mcclain and Tillman Johnson the year before, so I'm looking to keep my streak going. Although my picks in 2013 and 2012 were Wylie Reinhardt and Jamarcus Jarvis, so I'm hoping to break over .500.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GrayEagle said:

He's going to have it tough getting much playing time this year what with Buyers, Davis and Brooks having had good years at corner.

Buyers is still playing?!

It seems like he's been here since the beginning of the Mac era.  10 more years to go and it'll be Case Keenum all over again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jonnyeagle
      Moments after the men charged into his apartment, Caperton Humphrey remembered the baseball bat in his bedroom.
      If they came at him — and Humphrey believed he saw the imprint of a pistol in one man’s jogging pants — he needed a plan to fight back.
      For months, four of these men had been his teammates on the Kansas Jayhawks football team. Now they and about a half-dozen others were in Humphrey’s living room, threatening him, his father Jamie, and even Caperton’s 15-year-old brother. Seconds later, Jamie Humphrey dialed 911, putting his phone on speaker before setting it on a countertop.

Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article252152528.html#storylink=cpy Read more here: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/article252152528.html#storylink=cpy
    • By meangreen11
      112. North Texas
      After winning 18 games from 2017-18, the Mean Green have slipped to an 8-14 record over the last two years. Scoring points won’t be a problem for coach Seth Littrell’s team in ’21. However, the defense has to show marked improvement to get back to a bowl.
      Offensive Strength: The Mean Green led Conference USA in scoring (34.4 ppg), yards per play (6.6), and most gains of 40-plus yards (19) last season. Littrell has to sort out an intriguing quarterback battle between Austin Aune and former North Carolina signal-caller Jace Ruder, but this unit should be explosive once again. DeAndre Torrey and Oscar Adaway III lead a strong backfield, and four starters return from one of the top lines in the league. A healthy Jyaire Shorter at receiver will help replace the production left behind by Jaelon Darden.
      Offensive Concern: Can Aune or Ruder claim the job and play with enough consistency to keep the offense on track all year? Shorter’s return is huge, but North Texas needs a couple of other playmakers to emerge at receiver. The offense has to do a better job at managing turnovers after losing 15 in 2020.
      Defensive Strength: Littrell’s hire of veteran coordinator Phil Bennett was a strong move to get a struggling defense pointed in the right direction. Tackle Dion Novil and linebackers Tyreke Davis and KD Davis are three key players among nine returning defensive starters for North Texas in 2021.
      Defensive Concern: This unit allowed a whopping 42.8 points a game and surrendered 6.94 yards per play last season. Even with a new play-caller and help through the transfer portal, major improvement might be a year away.
      read more:  https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-top-130-team-rankings-2021
    • By meangreen11
      HUNTINGTON — The good news is that North Texas’ offense was the best offense in Conference USA last season.
      The bad news that the North Texas defense was one of the worst defenses in FBS, if not THE worst.
      That porous defense led Seth Littell’s bunch to a losing record overall and even in Conference USA, which was not the expectation coming into a season in which they featured one of the nation’s best receivers in Jaelon Darden.
      Unfortunately for the Mean Green, Darden is gone to the NFL and the defensive problems still are present.
      Former SMU head coach Phil Bennett takes over the defense, which is a big step forward, but North Texas needs more than Bennett’s expertise to fix a defense that allowed an FBS-worst 43 points while also yielding 522 yards per game.
      The good news for Bennett is that, from a production standpoint, there are plenty of pieces returning who can help.
      Up front, All-Conference USA tackle Dion Novil returns and there is young talent at the end spots with Grayson and Gabriel Murphy, but defending the run and getting a more consistent pass rush are pivotal to improving the 2020 numbers.
      read more:  https://www.herald-dispatch.com/sports/2021-marshall-football-opponents-north-texas-has-to-improve-defense/article_88448e57-cd3f-5230-9726-58e5c1f6a1be.html
  • Images

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.