Favorite UNT Football moment

I'm about to take my last final as a UNT undergrad and I'm already starting to feel post-graduation depression. Wanted to start a thread to cheer me up. What was everyone's favorite football memory during their 4 years of undergrad at UNT? Thought this would be interesting considering the wide variety of graduation dates. For me after enduring my freshman year of watching Todd Dodge's final year at UNT and a 1 point loss to Rice that year, it had to be "The Stand" at Rice. It was an amazing to see such a great moment in UNT football during my senior year and on Halloween night. What about you guys?

• Upvote 2

My favorite moments at UNT involved two football games: When Brett Renfro returned a fumble for the game-clinching TD in the rain against McNeese State to put us in first place in the SLC. We also had a big crowd show up, which basically ensured that we would be able to move up to I-A in 1995. The other moment was when Troy Redwine caught a Jason Mills TD pass on the final play to beat Oregon State at home in 1995. It was our first win as a i-A program since 1981, meaning we had finally made it back out of purgatory (i-aa).

• Upvote 1

My favorite moments at UNT involved two football games: When Brett Renfro returned a fumble for the game-clinching TD in the rain against McNeese State to put us in first place in the SLC. We also had a big crowd show up, which basically ensured that we would be able to move up to I-A in 1995. The other moment was when Troy Redwine caught a Jason Mills TD pass on the final play to beat Oregon State at home in 1995. It was our first win as a i-A program since 1981, meaning we had finally made it back out of purgatory (i-aa).

These two would have to be in my top 5, for sure. I'll have to add the Ball State win in 2009--it ended up not being as big a deal as we thought, but at the time, it felt huge. The N.O. Bowl win against Cincy. And The Stand against Rice.

EDIT: Oops, as an undergrad student. Okay, those two. Plus the first time we beat Tech, under Matt Simon.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

My favorite moment has to be split. First, winning the conference championship in 1994 and it was the last time my dad saw me play. Second, beating Texas Tech in 1997 in Lubbock after several friends who went to TT talked a lot before the game.

My favorite UNT moment outside of football had to be during the Fry Street Fair one of those years but I can't really remember what it was.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

Fouts Field - 1990

UNT 14

SMU 7

It seems funny thinking about that game now that we officially average over 20k per home game, but that 1990 game drew a little over 20k into Fouts Field (which had a capacity of 20k at the time), so the game felt "big time". Drawing 20k into Fouts was a huge deal.

The Great Scott Davis lead the Eagles to a victory.

Really enjoyed walking out of Fouts that evening and seeing all of the "WTF just happened" looks on the poor SMU student faces :D

• Upvote 1

The win against ULL last year on national tv. Never seen an atmosphere like the one after that game while an undergrad.

Honorable mention goes to hosting and hanging tough with k-state for the last game at Fouts.

That Jimmerson screen and run probably is my favorite UNT football moment. I know that win wasn't quite as significant as the ones we've seen this year, but that play itself has to be my favorite moment.

The stand was awesome and it's hard to say that isn't my favorite, especially what was on the line. Houston game was electric, seeing them run out that game have me crazy chills.

Another honorable mention is the 80 yard touchdown run by Brandin Byrd last year against South Alabama. That was one of the most beautifully blocked plays I have ever seen.

We've had some great moments recently, and I like to think we're in for some more. Especially with the energy and passion that we play with at Fouts.

1. Miracle in the desert keeping MTSU at home and they had to cancel hotels... Booked for New Orleans at that time.

2. Idaho win and lots of free beers at ellingtons on the square for our first bowl appearance as UNT fan. They ran out of bottles of beer and just started sending out pitchers.

3. The Stand

GMG

NO Bowl win in '02 followed by blowout of Baylor at a packed Fouts in '03...made me a die hard. Hopefully current students will be affected by similar events this year and next!

Throw in the goal post game against NMST and that's the greatest 8 month stretch of my UNT under-grad fandom.

Watching Woody Wilson run 60+ yds for a TD vs SMU at Fouts. He turned on the jets and just burned their D. It was the loudest I'd ever heard the student section.

I made a drunken call to my ex after that game, explaining in detail that run and how important it was for UNT that we beat SMU.

Haven't heard from her since.

• Upvote 2

Going to my first NTSU game and asking: "Who is Steve Ramsey?" By the end of the 1st quarter I knew.

I called my son and asked him what was his favorite game when he was an undergrad.

1. The first goal post game.

2. The Baylor game. I was sitting near some Baylor fans and they were in shock.

3. We still laugh about a pudgy little kid (about 7 or 8) at one of the games who was standing by his dad when the crowd started a long and loud chant of bull s##t at the refs. He was looking around in disbelief. He finally joined in for one chant of bull s##t and then quickly looked around to see if he was going to get in trouble. When he didn't, he started laughing, jumping up and down, and clapping his hands like crazy. You had to see it.

• Upvote 2