When is press conference this week

ScreamingEaglesFan

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Notes:

Coach Morris

* Vito asked if we have the talent to run the 3-3-5.  Morris thinks we are probably a little smaller than he would like.  DL depth is hurting us some.  Marcus Moore has done some nice things at DT.

I feel like this is something we've experienced since... oh... i don't know... 2004?

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Coach, here is a suggestion on how to improve tackling.  Don't wait until the season starts to make it a priority.  And don't wait until the season starts to suddenly realize that you may be a little undersized to run your defensive scheme.  He should have been hammering the portal after the Spring if he did not think he had the personnel needed to be competitive, much less successful.

He does not get any points from me by showing up to his weekly press conference giving BS coach speak about taking accountability after your team looked completely unprepared in doing to play two weeks in a row.  The time to take accountability was the day he was hired, not after the season starts.  

Hard to imagine the type of dysfunction present on the defensive side of the ball just suddenly appeared in the first game without any warning.

P.S.  

Just looked up his total defense rankings while HC at UIW from 2018-2021.  #111, #115, #95, #95 out of 123 teams.  Looks like he has a history of not knowing how to teach his teams to tackle. Awesome.  

I realize that defense is not his forte.  He should have defensive coaches that know how to teach tackling and coach defense.  It seems that the runner and sometimes the receiver sticks close to a blocker forcing arm tackles instead of being able to wrap up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Notes:

Coach Morris

* I like his accountability.  Morris doesn't play the blame game.

* Will continue to work to establish the running game.  QB running game was much better.  Missed some reads, both QB & RB, that will be addressed.

* We will not look back at last year.  Last year is over and done.

* If you know how to improve tackling other than practicing tackling, please email Coach.

* Coaches have to find out if the players are unable to do what we want them to do, then we (coaches) have to figure that out.

*  Defensive issues are a combination of issues between scheme and execution.

* Vito asked if we have the talent to run the 3-3-5.  Morris thinks we are probably a little smaller than he would like.  DL depth is hurting us some.  Marcus Moore has done some nice things at DT.

* The coaching staff will continue to look for ways to make plays on defense understanding that we haven't recruited to this system yet.

* Earle was pulled due to cramping.  Rogers came in with little to no notice and played really well.  Exhibited a calmness that comes from his previous experience.

* Does not like going back and forth at QB.  Wants to find one and let them develop a rhythm.

* Praised Rogers for his preparedness.

* LA Tech is playing better defense.  We are 1-4 against them in our last five games.  Praised their defense and their RB #21.

* High praise for Wesloski.  Still making some freshman mistakes, but has a chance to be really good and excited for is future.

* Earle's footwork is a little quick at times, but he is slowing down as he gets more comfortable.

Damon Ward:

* Guys are getting back to work.  The loss doesn't define us.

*  This offense is explosive.  Need to build positive momentum.

*  LA Tech is a good team, but we worry more about us and not about the opponent.

* Need to execute our game plan and cut down on the mistakes.

Ridge Texada:

* Need to execute and read our keys.

* Little things that we are doing wrong are leading to big plays.

* We have the players to run this scheme.

* Need to force turnovers.

* Dad played at LA Tech but wants us to win.

* Ridge...separated at birth from Prince Rogers Nelson?

Ridge Texada 2023     Prince Rogers Nelson | Prince rogers nelson, Prince music, Roger nelson

Have the same speaking voice.

@UNTLifer thank you for the notes!  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Who is at the press conference from the media besides Vito and the NT Daily reporter? Because that is also an issue in that nobody from DFW cares enough to send anyone up to Denton to ask tough questions, too.

As far as I know Bret still functions as the UNT reporter for the Dallas Morning News.  It could be different now because the Record-Chronicle has a new owner.  If so, that needs to be negotiated with the Morning News.

6 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

As far as I know Bret still functions as the UNT reporter for the Dallas Morning News.  It could be different now because the Record-Chronicle has a new owner.  If so, that needs to be negotiated with the Morning News.

Just checked and the UNT section for DMN still links to Brett's DRC articles.

18 minutes ago, C Rod said:

This also caught my attention. Did anyone pay attention to his body language? He begins the press conference with his chest out and both hands behind his back. This is known as an open position with the front of the body exposed. It communicates confidence, authority, leadership, and security in one's environment. 

At the 5:00 minute mark, coach shifts his body posture to right hand on the podium signaling control of the situation however his left hand now in a fist, placed firmly at his waist. He's now taking up space to appear larger and demonstrate he's still in charge; much like a parent does to a child. Coach remains in this posture for most of rest of the presser. 

Brett asks the tough question about last year's running backs not producing at the 5:45 min mark and you can see Coach Morris bristle at the question and shoot it down with "Were not talking about last year around here anymore." His tone changes and it's evident this question strikes a nerve. He does well to maintain his composure but the tell is there. 

At the 10:55 mark, Coach Morris rhetorically asks a question aloud to tee up a point he wants to get across. "Have we recruited for this scheme the past 3 to 4 years? I would say not." Brett, seeing the opening to bring up last year again ask a follow up about Mazin Richards and his lack of production this year vs last year. Coach Morris almost instantly crosses his arms across his chest, now standing in a closed position. This stance communicates defensiveness, anger, anxiety, and tension. It's used to "block out" unwanted communication. If you look closely, his blink-rate also speeds up further signaling he is uncomfortable with this line of questioning. He doesn't relax and resume the hand on the podium posture until the next questions is asked about Chandler Rogers; a topic he's much more comfortable talking about. 

Morris needs to realize the strength of this team was the RB's he has abandoned this year, he may not want to think about last year, but guess what the suckfest of the first 2 games are going to bring it on. Appreciate him answering the tough questions but the bunker mentality is not going to attract fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Notes:

Coach Morris

Also said he thinks we are small for a 4 man front.

• Upvote 1
  • Pissed 1

22 minutes ago, C Rod said:

This also caught my attention. Did anyone pay attention to his body language? He begins the press conference with his chest out and both hands behind his back. This is known as an open position with the front of the body exposed. It communicates confidence, authority, leadership, and security in one's environment. 

At the 5:00 minute mark, coach shifts his body posture to right hand on the podium signaling control of the situation however his left hand now in a fist, placed firmly at his waist. He's now taking up space to appear larger and demonstrate he's still in charge; much like a parent does to a child. Coach remains in this posture for most of rest of the presser. 

Brett asks the tough question about last year's running backs not producing at the 5:45 min mark and you can see Coach Morris bristle at the question and shoot it down with "Were not talking about last year around here anymore." His tone changes and it's evident this question strikes a nerve. He does well to maintain his composure but the tell is there. 

At the 10:55 mark, Coach Morris rhetorically asks a question aloud to tee up a point he wants to get across. "Have we recruited for this scheme the past 3 to 4 years? I would say not." Brett, seeing the opening to bring up last year again ask a follow up about Mazin Richards and his lack of production this year vs last year. Coach Morris almost instantly crosses his arms across his chest, now standing in a closed position. This stance communicates defensiveness, anger, anxiety, and tension. It's used to "block out" unwanted communication. If you look closely, his blink-rate also speeds up further signaling he is uncomfortable with this line of questioning. He doesn't relax and resume the hand on the podium posture until the next questions is asked about Chandler Rogers; a topic he's much more comfortable talking about. 

Interesting and insightful.  Thanks for sharing your observations. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

It’s making more and more sense why we lost some quality players to the portal at the last moment just before the season started  

They saw what was coming with this coaching staff and got out at the last second. Can’t blame them one bit. 

Maybe.  

I don't know what value these press conferences bring anymore.  Coaches seem to abhor them and rarely does any new information come out of them.  There's always the chance a coach blows up or goes ape-sh!t on a reporter's question, but those are few and far between.  This one (and most) are filled with a bunch of platitudes, but no real insight...we got to do better, we're working hard, this is our job, need to put players in position to make plays, got to figure this out...I wonder what the word could is on "need to figure it out" during this one.  Also, as a self-professed history guy, it's odd that he doesn't want to talk about last year.  

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, C Rod said:

Good insight

What's the point of running this defensive scheme if you clearly don't have the guys to run it? Are you trying to win games or are you trying to weed out or piss guys off that will transfer out like a Mazin Richards. Then after the season the coach makes an excuse "well now I can go get my guys to run my defensive system now" 

• Upvote 2

Robertson leaving definitely makes more sense. We didn’t need another undersized DE and maybe he didn’t want to or couldn’t play LB.
 I honestly don’t understand how we don’t have DL depth. We had enough linemen to play a four man front so now we have too many DL. I know they aren’t the ideal size but maybe move some guys around. We have three legit 300 lbs guys, so can we play one at DE? This system doesn’t seemed to be designed for the DL to be primarily play makers anyway so let the bigger guy play end and take up more space. Mazin can - and should - play LB. Put Mazin at MLB (and Kadren Johnson) and let the smaller LBs play outside and rush the passer and cover RBs/TEs as needed. 
Does that make sense?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I'm concerned by the QB talk. I haven't watched yet but based on the notes, it doesn't seem like Rogers will start La Tech. Can anybody who watched the press conference confirm if this is what's being suggested?

He said something to the effect of "I can't tell you right now who will be first under center."

Boy I sure want to support Coach Morris and was ok with the hire, but his comments about the defense are just comical.  It's clear the scheme/philosophy is not working.  Doesn't matter the reason.  Put your best 11 players on the field and figure out a defensive scheme that works better than currently constructed.  Figure it out.  Somehow.  That's literally your job.  Don't make excuses about not having the right players, etc.  Nonsense.  Keep it super simple and let your athletes make plays.  Play a 5-2-4.  Make it work Coach.  Pull your defense aside and tell them guys this is it....we are going play smart and fast and let you make plays to the best of your abilities.  Now go out there and play your asses off.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

He said something to the effect of "I can't tell you right now who will be first under center."

Thank you. I realize he doesn't want to lose Earle's focus either so a firm affirmation that he's been relegated to number 2 isn't good this early in the week. His decision making was poor against FIU and Rogers has the speed to take long runs to the house. Earle also often threw behind his receivers against FIU. We need a win and to get that, change is needed.

So as a HC, it has to be getting a little warm not only starting out 0-2 but in the manner in which he's started. Don't forget while they scored 46 points, they weren't all on offense. Earle threw a pick 6. And now Morris is talking about Earle's feet being a little quick while at the same time praising Rogers' preparedness and calmness.

La Tech is better than FIU.

Seems like a no brainer who should start Saturday....

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I do not believe Morris will be one and gone, but I am not too sure about Caponi. I have a feeling after listening to this that his recruiting priorities will adapt quickly to finding transfers with size on the Defensive side of the ball; I'm just not sure Caponi will be here to coach whoever they add. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1