MGB: UNT, SMU extend football series

Brett Vito

Great news!    This puts us being finished with our Army home/home & SMU home/home series at the same time (2021).  
After that, all we have is a Memphis home/home and a TXTech home/home WAY down the line.   Lots of scheduling flexibility coming up.    I anticipate we'll start seeing the 2022+ schedules start piecing together after the 2018 year or so.

If I remember correctly, some people on this board posted that SMU would be opting out of this series thereby ending it early.  Also, I don't remember anyone predicting that the series would be extended.  Hmmmm.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenDadx2 said:

If I remember correctly, some people on this board posted that SMU would be opting out of this series thereby ending it early.  Also, I don't remember anyone predicting that the series would be extended.  Hmmmm.

Many here were hoping it would be (myself included).   I do know several were speculating that SMU's asses would show and they would cancel the series... but alas, it appears they enjoy UNT fans giving them money, imagine that?   I don't know of many who did NOT want to play SMU yearly.

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenDadx2 said:

If I remember correctly, some people on this board posted that SMU would be opting out of this series thereby ending it early. 

There was no opting in or out.  The original contract was for games through 2017.   This years game was the last under that contract.  

Former UNT athletic director Rick Villarreal and former SMU athletic director Steve Orsini agreed to a four-game series late in 2007.

That contract included games in each season from 2014-17

Some people were doubtful that SMU would re-up this series.  I am really glad this series was extended.  

10 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

There was no opting in or out.  The original contract was for games through 2017.   This years game was the last under that contract.  

Some people were doubtful that SMU would re-up this series.  I am really glad this series was extended.  

It was announced as a "10-year series".  But yeah, they wrote it with 4 guaranteed games with "good-faith negotiations to extend the series" to follow.   The series still was not extended the full 10 years.   Wonder if there is another "good-faith" clause appended to this one?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Great news!    This puts us being finished with our Army home/home & SMU home/home series at the same time (2021).  
After that, all we have is a Memphis home/home and a TXTech home/home WAY down the line.   Lots of scheduling flexibility coming up.    I anticipate we'll start seeing the 2022+ schedules start piecing together after the 2018 year or so.

I'd think that UNT would wanna keep the SMU game, since it is a close trip and would save potentially on traveling for away games

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Not surprised, this game is better for SMU than NT.   SMU is playing a school they now think will be an easy win that brings a good crowd.  

I believe it is a win win particularly for the fans who will have a very easy travel game.   I just hope more SMU fans if they exist travel in much larger numbers.  

Pretty sure most of their fans traveled to Denton last year.

• Upvote 4

This is a fun series for SMU and UNT for many, many people throughout the Metroplex. The two have been sniping at each other like the Hatfields and McCoys forever. I mean smu fans get snooty and UNT fans get pissed  but everybody in the metroplex always knows about the game and has a beer and an opinion. It's local and it's fun.

• Upvote 4