Mayfield to OU, let’s talk UNT QBs

Harry

Why do I feel like there will be a lot of disappointment on this board when McNulty trotts out as the starter at the beginning of next season?

Not saying it will happen, but the possibility remains real. To me anything other than how many snaps any QB got this season remains nothing but coach speak.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

Why do I feel like there will be a lot of disappointment on this board when McNulty trotts out as the starter at the beginning of next season?

Not saying it will happen, but the possibility remains real. To me anything other than how many snaps any QB got this season remains nothing but coach speak.

If mcnulty is the starter, then we have to do a better job evaluating talent. If mcnulty starts that means we wasted valuable time getting him good reps at the end of games. It also means he possibly could have come in and won some games this year if he is good enough to be our starter. It would also mean, they did not see his potential as a starter and wasted ships on juco qbs two years in a row. It's possible, but I doubt it. Staff would look silly in my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Dajon

Muscle doesn't matter as a Quarterback? I'm not saying a QB should be huge, but being 185 will make them prone to injury. Greer is at the ideal weight for a QB, about 225.

It does matter, we all saw what happened to Riley out there a few years ago. But do some research before you say these things because Dajon is not a stick.

Dajon 6'3 199 before fall camp even started. I would think that he's probably going to add a few lbs after his first full year in a college weight program. Plus he's a dual threat QB so you don't want to beef him up too much and lose that ability.

Greer is 6'4 210....this coming from the Navarro roster, not Rivals. Greer is also more of a pocket passer so he can carry more weight.

I'm sorry, in my book a will be soph who started 5 games at a juco and having to learn a new system does not put him that far ahead of a RS fresh who's been in the system and from all accounts was pushing for the starting job over a senior. And the weight argument is garbage. They aren't playing Offensive guard and they have different skill sets.

Completely agree.

Also, I don't get the whole "Dajon is the future, but he might not be ready next year." If Greer is brought in to start then he will be both the short term and the long term. If he wins he will be our qb for the next 3 years and Dajon wouldn't be the starter until his redshirt senior year.

• Upvote 1

All I know for sure is that the QB competition will be fun for me to watch for next season. May the best QB win. I trust Mac to decide who the " best" for UNT will be. Fun times ahead for the Mean Green starting with a New Year's Day Bowl.

• Upvote 2

This coaching staff does not have a clue who the starter will be in the fall. This thing was wide open this past spring and Thompson won the job. I agree with H-towngreen on Greer. A kid that played half a season at Navarro, after a so so high school career, should not be handed the job.

I don't know if Williams can play but I know that McNulty can't. I really would like to see a lot of Bergland in the spring (if he is still here and without hamstring issues) . Experience is important but we don't have anyone on the squad with it. Based on the last two Heisman winners, (freshmen) it may not be that necessary.

I'm all for competition but I also would like to see them make a decision and give that guy the most snaps.

Looking back, I find it hard to believe that promoting DaJon was a psychological ploy by Mac. He seemed very sincere, saying that he had "it" and those natural intangibles not to mention the strongest arm on the team. I would love to know what really transpired. Was it truly an injury or a decision to put their faith in DT?

And then you have the Berglund situation. I see the guy being a good supportive teammate on the sidelines and on TV, social media. I would like to know exactly what he did to fall so out of favor? I mean really this kid was the main attraction the highest ranked QB we had ever landed. What exactly did he do or not do to put him so deep on the bench? And how could you truly evaluate his abilities without letting him play and the few plays he did he never threw one pass??

Here's something not a lot of us have talked about...

This season we saw DT, Dajon, Brock and McNulty take snaps. Mini-Mac came in a few times as DT's backup. We threw Dajon in against Idaho at the end and tossed Brock in near the end after whoopin up on UTEP. At that point we were all hearing that DW had been hurt in practice and was trying to get a medical redshirt.

I can't remember, did McNulty go in during thr second half against Idaho? Or did we put Dajon in to replace Derek? I've seen too much football this season to remember.

Here's something not a lot of us have talked about...

This season we saw DT, Dajon, Brock and McNulty take snaps. Mini-Mac came in a few times as DT's backup. We threw Dajon in against Idaho at the end and tossed Brock in near the end after whoopin up on UTEP. At that point we were all hearing that DW had been hurt in practice and was trying to get a medical redshirt.

I can't remember, did McNulty go in during thr second half against Idaho? Or did we put Dajon in to replace Derek? I've seen too much football this season to remember.

Mcnulty came in against Idaho while DT was temporarily injured. He fumbled the first snap and threw an interception with his only throw. Then DT came back in.

And then you have the Berglund situation. I see the guy being a good supportive teammate on the sidelines and on TV, social media. I would like to know exactly what he did to fall so out of favor? I mean really this kid was the main attraction the highest ranked QB we had ever landed. What exactly did he do or not do to put him so deep on the bench? And how could you truly evaluate his abilities without letting him play and the few plays he did he never threw one pass??

It doesn't seem like he's fallen, it seems like he hasn't ever put it all together. Has he started any college games, at all? Honest question.

I sat through a game with a Jayhawk this year and he seemed somewhat in tune with Brock. "Something ain't right" is the high-level, Cliff Notes version of what he said.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

It doesn't seem like he's fallen, it seems like he hasn't ever put it all together. Has he started any college games, at all? Honest question.

I sat through a game with a Jayhawk this year and he seemed somewhat in tune with Brock. "Something ain't right" is the high-level, Cliff Notes version of what he said.

look at his past history the answer is pretty clear he is mentally weak

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't have a clue as to who will start. I don't even know the capabilities of any because I've seen Williams for about a dozen plays against Idaho, Berglund about 3 handoffs against Tulsa (and a few plays last spring), and occasional mop-up duties by McNulty. Who has seen more and How can anyone be sure at this stage? I don't even have strong feelings because I haven't, or won't have an idea of anyone's abilities until the spring game.

I liked the very limited action that Williams has performed but if he's such a shoo-in then 1) why was he redshirted with a phantom injury instead of gaining much needed experience and 2) why in the hell did we sign Greer? Why can't Berglund, who from all reports has speed and a strong, accurate arm learn to recognize defenses or pick up second and third receivers after being an all-state quarterback? If he was really that bad why was he given a scholarship in the first place? Why was Greer, with only five games experience beyond high school brought in, knowing that DW was all but certain to be the starter in 2014?

The only quarterback that I know very much about is McNulty and I'm pretty sure that he won't be the starter. As for the others I sometimes feel like Agatha Christie is writing the script.

I

• Upvote 1

I don't have a clue as to who will start. I don't even know the capabilities of any because I've seen Williams for about a dozen plays against Idaho, Berglund about 3 handoffs against Tulsa (and a few plays last spring), and occasional mop-up duties by McNulty. Who has seen more and How can anyone be sure at this stage? I don't even have strong feelings because I haven't, or won't have an idea of anyone's abilities until the spring game.

This.

I'm all for competition but I also would like to see them make a decision and give that guy the most snaps.

Looking back, I find it hard to believe that promoting DaJon was a psychological ploy by Mac. He seemed very sincere, saying that he had "it" and those natural intangibles not to mention the strongest arm on the team. I would love to know what really transpired. Was it truly an injury or a decision to put their faith in DT?

Harry, we all should have learned from Mac's lauding of Berglund in 2012 that he does this to give fans hope and maybe to as a motivational tool for the starter. He said the same things about Berglund in 2012 that he said about Dajon in 2013.

Where you know that things are different is that Dajon was the #2 QB the first game of the season, and came in and threw the ball with a big lead. What other QB was allowed to do that this year? None. Because Mac didn't want to see anything from them. Mini-Mac was always on a very short lease and Berglund got, what, 3 plays? Dajon was also getting 2nd team practice snaps before Idaho. I saw it with my own 2 eyes.

Greer is an insurance policy. Insurance for if Dajon doesn't develop like they expect. Insurance for a Dajon injury. Insurance to motivate and push Dajon. But insurance, all the same. Could he come in and surprise everybody by outplaying Dajon and winning the job in what will be open competition for the job? Sure, but I wouldn't count on it.

• Upvote 1

When they brought in Brock and dajon, two qbs that can run or throw, we thought we would see some dynamic dual threat qb play. IMO, they were looking for them to be pocket passers that can run occasionally. Thier running ability is not the x factor many thought it would be.

Mac is conservative. I realize he is not going to run the qb a lot and risk fumbles and injuries. He does not want an improviser extending plays and taking sacks and throwing picks.

Expect a similar offense to what we had this year.

Imo, They want a Qb similar to DT, but one that can run occasionally and doesnt throw as many picks.

or Native Americans.......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was told by a player on the team that dajon was beating out DT in fall camp until the coaches opened up the playbook. He seemed really excited about the big play potential dajon has with all the things he has seen in practice.

He said Brock's biggest problem, besides his injury setback, was he was trying to do to much out there and was careless with the ball. He said, "if he would stop trying to do that johnny manziel shit out there he would've been the starter hands down"