Rubin didn’t leave UNT for NIL money

He left because he and his family wanted to be connected to the history and tradition of the Michigan program.  I frankly doubt he makes a dime there money wise.

i also think Dusty May has been working on this deal for a long time which is disheartening.

Edited by Ross Hodgeson
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 4
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

53 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

He was not the same player his freshman year.  

I think Rubin is the standard for a developing player.  His Frosh year, he was a source to eat minutes for the starters.  Good on defense. He was not part of the offense.  Soph year became part of the rotation, even handled the ball some. Jr year became starter, handled the ball a good bit, rebounded…..Sr year, he became the man.  Added scoring to his game.   Complete development of a player that got him a shot at Michigan.  

we need a Rubin in every recruiting class

Rubin was his high school's leading scorer in a run and gun offense that average about 100 points a game. He had never played in a slow down offense like UNT ever.

JACK YATES HS
2020 TABC All-State...2020 TABC All-Region...Named one of 10 finalist for the 2020 Guy V. Lewis Award, which is given to the Houston Prep Player of the Year...VYPE Public School Houston Player of the Year Finalist...Reached the 2020 4A UIL Texas Boys State Basketball championship before the season was cut short due to COVID pandemic...As a senior, Yates went 26-3 overall and 14-0 in district and was the No. 1 ranked 4A team...During his senior season, Jones led Yates to 21 straight games of scoring 100 or more points, which broke the national record of 16 previously held by the 2010 Yates team...Ended his senior season on a 23-game winning streak...Yates scored 100+ points in 22 of its last 23 games in 2019-20...As a junior he led Yates to the state semifinals...Went 12-0 in district play as a junior

• Upvote 2

He's getting NIL $$$.

Did Rooobien graduate from NT?

He was a big part of changing our culture and putting our program on the map.  I will miss seeing him in green and following his Mom on Twitter/X.  I wish him well, but won't be following Michigan.  Never been a fan of any of their programs.

• Upvote 5
  • Oh Boy! 1

TexasTech had a lot players enter the portal also.  Mac can be tough on players and some may not like that and they can go somewhere else and play.

What interesting on why Ruben is going MI is for the history.  Hard to believe he would not even go through senior night here.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 4

I may ruffle a lot of feathers here, but he and his team won tourney championships, regular season championships, CBI championship, NIT Championship, and an NCAA game, and it still didn't move the needle. Attendance was still poor, and those players deserved better support.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

10 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

I may ruffle a lot of feathers here, but he and his team won tourney championships, regular season championships, CBI championship, NIT Championship, and an NCAA game, and it still didn't move the needle. Attendance was still poor, and those players deserved better support.

Yep. Gave his heart to the program. Can't fault him. His mom was a huge supporter too. 

this will always be our issue. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Green Otaku said:

No doubt that’s true.

I can’t begrudge someone like Rubin who has been here 4 years, given a lot to the program, and gotten a degree.  Good for him for all of those things.  Plus, I believe he only has this year due to COVID, so there’s that in his favor as well.  My issue is nothing personal, and is admittedly shallow, but going to another school taints his legacy here to some degree.  Kind of like Emmitt Smith playing for the Cardinals or Michael Jordan for the Wizards.  Plus, he’s leaving MY university, so I’m obviously not happy about that.  

I don’t wish most of our portal guys well, nor do I wish them ill will, but I do hope things work out for Rubin the way he expects.

• Upvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, cousin oliver said:

I may be mistaken but our attendance has increased significantly over the past few years.  May be wrong.

This is like saying the quality of food at Taco Bell has increased significantly over the past four years...it's still subpar.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

Yeah. Well, demographics and piss poor culture paired with awful support from the city has created this. We're in poor shape. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

This is like saying the quality of food at Taco Bell has increased significantly over the past four years...it's still subpar.  

It is. But in a North Texas context, the Mac/Hodge teams have received almost unprecedented support. Look at the list of top 10 all time crowds. Like half of them came during this one stretch. We’re also very critical of our fanbase (& should be to a degree) but if you take out Memphis and look at other AAC games when they’re on TV, they all kind look similar with butts in seats. 

TLDR: Don’t like it either. Wish it was better. Not unique to North Texas.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Depends on where you draw the line. Within the American, we were 6th which is above par. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NT93 said:

No doubt that’s true.

I can’t begrudge someone like Rubin who has been here 4 years, given a lot to the program, and gotten a degree.  Good for him for all of those things.  Plus, I believe he only has this year due to COVID, so there’s that in his favor as well.  My issue is nothing personal, and is admittedly shallow, but going to another school taints his legacy here to some degree.  Kind of like Emmitt Smith playing for the Cardinals or Michael Jordan for the Wizards.  Plus, he’s leaving MY university, so I’m obviously not happy about that.  

I don’t wish most of our portal guys well, nor do I wish them ill will, but I do hope things work out for Rubin the way he expects.

Agree on all accounts, sucks for us, but he gave us everything he had. His family were great supporters. I can't blame the young man for going out and trying to elevate himself and get national exposure if he can have a great season.

• Upvote 2