Mountain West Conference Meeting Today

NT80

If they leave Texas out of the mix I see it as a big mistake for them. I do not think SMU or Houston will bolt. UTEP could but that really doesn't give them the Texas market.

If I were UTEP I wouldn't leave CUSA.

You know that USU has to be one of the two. The other is anyone's guess.

From a recruiting perspective they need a Texas school period. If they ignore that fact it will hurt them.

If not the MWC now--maybe later? I stated in the 2'nd post in this thread I did not expect any miracles this go around.

I guess San Jose State has had some kind of rennaisance athletically I am not aware of but gosh darn, California is in such a helluva' mess financially albeit I guess the Feds will eventually forgive all their debt (but I should know better than to go there on this forum). :rolleyes::)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

There's not a chance in hell that we wait for the possibility of someday maybe joining a conference that hopefully is Texas heavy. You have to weigh what's on the table at a given moment, and to say the MWC would be an upgrade from the SBC would be the understatement of the year (so far). Thinking about "building the belt" and playing schools like Monroe, Troy, ULL, and FAU for the next 10-20 years makes me physically ill. If even a 5% chance of us joining the MWC is on the table, I would be mortified to hear anything other than NT pulled out all the stops to get us in.

I can't be anymore blunt than that.

Totally agreed. If you keep waiting for tomorrow, today keeps passing you by.

• Upvote 1

There's not a chance in hell that we wait for the possibility of someday maybe joining a conference that hopefully is Texas heavy. You have to weigh what's on the table at a given moment, and to say the MWC would be an upgrade from the SBC would be the understatement of the year (so far). Thinking about "building the belt" and playing schools like Monroe, Troy, ULL, and FAU for the next 10-20 years makes me physically ill. If even a 5% chance of us joining the MWC is on the table, I would be mortified to hear anything other than NT pulled out all the stops to get us in.

I can't be anymore blunt than that.

Pretty well sizes things up for many of us.

Wonder if we had some "official" feelers from our campus leaders toward the MWC powers at all? We can't assume they (MWC) feel the same about our school as we. Any selling going on out there on our behalf for a move upward or are we going to spend the next 10 years celebrating the fact that we have a new stadium that in all actuality should have been built 25+ years ago?

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Let's be honest, UNT is not MWC's top target.

The MWC is debating if it wants to expand. If it does it wants Utah State, UTEP, Houston, SMU, San Jose Sate, and UNT (in that order).

The best case scenario for UNT to for a spot in CUSA to open up, since that doesn't look like its going to happen we need to decided if we want the Sun Belt to expand to 12 adding LA Tech and either New Mexico State or UTSA.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Nothing is final yet, but if this thing goes down and San Jose gets into the MWC, and we are left out I will be sick. I hope we have our people at the athletic complex running up phone bills trying to get us into the MWC. I can't handle the embarrassment of suffering though another decade in the Sun Belt. The SB has been a fine conference for us while we transitioned back to major college football, but we can't accept the Belt as our long term home. We have to push and demand better. I can't believe we hired these coaches, and are building that stadium to play in the Sun Belt conference.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

I can't handle the embarrassment of suffering though another decade in the Sun Belt.

Yawn. 4 bowls and 2 NCAA berths is an embarrassment? UNT isn't in the MWC foot print. We're not getting passed over. Passed over would be adding Arkansas State or UTSA.

• Downvote 1

Yawn. 4 bowls and 2 NCAA berths is an embarrassment? UNT isn't in the MWC foot print. We're not getting passed over. Passed over would be adding Arkansas State or UTSA.

We lost most of the bowls and both tournament games. I don't see fan base getting any bigger in the current league. If MWC doesn't work out then CUSA and SBC should swap some members and LT join one. There is no opponent in this SBC that many people will ever care about whether we beat them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I have been following this with all my might, and at this point it looks very grim for UNT's chances at the MWC. There seems to be much more "confirmation" about USU than SJSU. There is a very small chance that SJSU was not invited and that the MWC will decide on the 12th member in the near future, but that is highly unlikely. We should know for sure tomorrow.

I'll be sick if USU and SJSU get in, but not because that means UNT can't get in. I wasn't crazy about joining the WAC before, and the MWC would basically be the WAC with more of a name.

I'll be sick for NMSU, TSU, UTSA, LA Tech and Idaho. They're going to have a tough go of things with that lineup. I really hope they end up somewhere. The worst case scenario would be to not be in a conference.

A poster on the LA Tech board came up with this idea for a conference and believe it or not some LA Tech fans were okay with it. I actually like it a lot if we can't get into C-USA or the Mountain West....

Here is a crazy question....what if the teams from the SBC and WAC tried to start something new.

Have university presidents ever gotten together to form their own conference?

Just curious, how would Tech fans view this....

I know its silly to think about.

WEST

NMSU Aggies (Las Cruces, NM)

Tech Bulldogs (Ruston, LA)

North Texas Mean Green (Denton, TX)

UL Ragin Cajuns (Lafayette, LA)

Arkansas State Red Wolves (Jonesboro, AR)

UTSA Road Runners (San Antonio, TX)

EAST

Western Kentucky Hilltoppers (Bowling Green, KY)

Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (Murphreesboro, TN)

South Alabama Jaguars (Mobile, AL)

Troy Trojans (Troy, AL)

Florida International Golden Panthers (Miami, FL)

Florida Atlantic Owls (Boca Raton, FL)

Sunbelt ditches UALR/ULM (they could replace UTSA in Southland)

Tech ditches Idaho

A poster on the LA Tech board came up with this idea for a conference and believe it or not some LA Tech fans were okay with it. I actually like it a lot if we can't get into C-USA or the Mountain West....

Here is a crazy question....what if the teams from the SBC and WAC tried to start something new.

WEST

EAST

Troy Trojans (Troy, AL)

Tech ditches Idaho

I would much rather have ULM than UTSA. And UALR being in our conference is just fine with me. I don't mind bringing in NMSU and la tech. don't care for anyone else from the WAC.

• Upvote 1

WEST

EAST

Troy Trojans (Troy, AL)

Tech ditches Idaho

haha, of course they are ok with shoving ULM down in to D-II... unfortunately its not that easy

Please look up the last decade's record for SJSU and USU in football before you post something like this again. Not everything is about football. Look up SMU's record since the death penalty until their CUSA invite. Seriously.

Our problem isn't the football team's record, it is a century of apathy and lack of alumni support.

You don't think football is the main reason for conference realingment? Look in the Big East who just took in TCU, a school that is horrible in basketball but great in football. Needless to say the Big East is a better basketball league than a football league. Financially, football is the big key to all of these changes. The income that it brings in dwarfs the other sports and therefore makes it the deciding factor. Winning is important. SJSU has been playing (and we all know losing) in the WAC which has had Boise St, Fresno St, and Nevada. We have been playing and losing in the Sun Belt. Without a doubt, the WAC of the past few years has been better than the Sun Belt. Again, I'm not trying to be negative this is just the way it goes down.

• Upvote 1

If SJSU is invited, it will not be for their football program. Buy a clue.

In other news, this whole thing is really exposing bad writing and he said, she said junk. First, in the Baghdad Bob category, is the unfortunately named Dan McCarney, beat writer for UTSA.

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/01/wac-rumors-flying-once-more/

I bumped into someone at tonight’s UTSA basketball game who told me that WAC commissioner Karl Benson sent out an e-mail earlier this evening branding such rumors as categorically false, that nothing definitive has been decided. I have zero idea if that’s mere damage control or the truth; just passing on what was told to me from a highly credible source.

And in the laughably bad journalism department, once again the San Jose Mercury.

Sports digest: Mountain West reportedly plans to invite San Jose State

In an e-mail to the Mercury News, San Jose State athletic director Tom Bowen said "we have no news and nothing to comment about."

Please look up the last decade's record for SJSU and USU in football before you post something like this again. Not everything is about football. Look up SMU's record since the death penalty until their CUSA invite. Seriously.

Our problem isn't the football team's record, it is a century of apathy and lack of alumni support.

...and just like a lack of character in a person can (mostly) be traced back to parenting, this can be traced back (down the corridor of years) to administrative attitudes at North Texas.

...and just like a lack of character in a person can (mostly) be traced back to parenting, this can be traced back (down the corridor of years) to administrative attitudes at North Texas.

'Ya got that one right!

Unfortunately for me, at my age I won't live long enough to ever be compensated for the 30-year attitude toward NTSU/UNT athletics of past administrations i.e., being able to enjoy being competitive on a continual basis with the "big boys". It did not have to be this way - but it is.

Those of us who lived during the big-boy competitive football years of the mid-to-late 70s know what could have been.......

You can decorate it any way you want to, but the four year bowl run of the Dickey years did not compensate......for obvious reasons.

I do have a very real hope all of that is behind us and a good athletic future for UNT is in front of us.

Looked at the Texas budget situation lately?

California has been issuing IOUs instead of paychecks to state employees and talking about actually closing the door on huge and essential government services (like prisons and schools). No state is in a good budget situation now but Texas is one of the better ones (they are not only able to pay their employees, they were recently even giving out raises) and California is on the verge of losing their state sovereignty over it. Really no comparison there.

I wouldn't trust any one's message board, but NT would definitely be a long shot and blaming NT administers would be silly.

It may not be right to blame NT administrators but if the likes of USU and SJSU get into the MWC over us knowing they don't have any Texas markets after TCU(who is in our own backyard) bolted....to me that would make me wonder. I don't know why NT is ever in any conference realignment news...even if nobody wants us why can't we go out of our way and sell ourselves? Who cares if it leaks out...we need our name out there.