Mountain West Conference Meeting Today

NT80

Mountain West Conference Official Site

This is an official statement from the MWC board of directors. It looks as though the MWC is taking a timeout. They are not going to do anything right away. The way it seems to me is that USU will probably be in in the long run, but they cannot decide on the 12th team (which is part wishful thinking). The longer this goes on, the better it is for us.

http://www.mwcboard.com/www/forums/index.php?showtopic=31162

Posted Today, 02:17 PM

http://www.themwc.co.../012511aaa.html

At the conclusion of its annual January meeting, the MWC Board of Directors issued the following statement.

"Over the past two days, the Board of Directors has engaged in a very thorough discussion of several key topics pertinent to the future of the Mountain West Conference. This has included, but not been limited to, issues related to television, the Bowl Championship Series and membership. The Board feels strongly the membership configuration already established going forward creates outstanding prospects for future success. In addition, we are continuing with our strategic initiatives related to our television partnerships and the MWC's efforts to effect change in the BCS structure. The Board is excited about what is undoubtedly a bright future for the Conference."

Edited by NT80

I think UTSA is a nice story, but comparing them to us is ludicrous. We have a rich and glorious history that stretches back 100 years. People outside of our program respect us more than I think we do ourselves many times. The reality is one of these so called bigger conferences is going to realize that until they add UNT to their mix, they will not have a strong foothold in the DFW market. SMU does not deliver Dallas and hasn't for 25 years. TCU does not deliver DFW becuase they have a small fanbase. The group that truly realizes that when you get UNT you get Dallas/Fort Worth will be in for a pleasant surprise. We are moving up the chain very quickly and we simply need to win and go bowling again. We were reborn infants back in 2001 when we started bowling. When we begin making our football presence back on the national stage we will climb up the ranks as quickly as a South Florida has done out East. San Antonio is a nice market and would fit well in the SBC but UNT's competition is not the Roadrunners and Bobcats. We are Texas Tech in a much better location. We are the next CU Boulder. I wish football fans everywhere the best on the development of their programs because it is fun. But we are not in Troy Alabama, Ames Iowa or Waco Texas. North Texas in DFW, Florida International in Miami, and Florida Atlantic in Fort Lauderdale are in much better locations with brand new palaces to play in, with huge alumni bases, and located in places where kids want to go to grow. The key is to get them to connect with the University and make our presence felt on the national stage now as rebellious teenagers.

GMG

I just don't see us being like Texas Tech, but in a better location. I don't disagree with the better location part, but I think Texas Tech is hundreds of miles away, figuratively, from where we want to be. The thing that both helps Tech and hurts them is their reliance on UT. As long as UT stays in their conference, so will all the other major programs that come to Lubbock annually for games. It will always be easier to draw support, both in attendance and especially in $$$$, by having games that your alums want to pay to see. Getting Texas and Oklahoma in football every other year will always be huge. Even if Texas left, Tech would probably be, at worst, in the MWC, which actually would be a competitive league for them (they could actually win it every once in while). Either of those scenarios would still be way ahead of where we are right now and where we would go. I give Tech credit--they used their remote location to their advantage back in the 1950s when they got their invite to the old SWC. They literally had zero competition to hinder their acceptance. They had no private schools down the road to claim that they already controlled the market. Maybe Lubbock and West Texas doesn't exactly bring tons of eyeballs, but their leadership and their political ties in Austin have always protected them. I hate their school and their fans, but I am completely envious of what they have. I cannot fathom a time in the next century where we will be equal to them in conference prestige or financial support.