Mountain West Conference Meeting Today

NT80

Utah State poster says SJSU has not been contacted.

This was confirmed on both Utah sports Radio stations 1320 and 1280.

The going logic over there is that Comcast gave the MWC several scenarios for contracts based on the schools, with the primary being based on Utah State and UTEP. My extrapolation (thank you kindergarten) is that SJSU brings in the second most revenue of those options, however that does not mean that they (or USU) are being invited. USU probably will, I imagine. If SJSU was a jump to conclusions (mat) by one of the 'sources', then NT could still be in it. Still seems like a longshot, but I'll cross everything I've got.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Utah State poster says SJSU has not been contacted.

The going logic over there is that Comcast gave the MWC several scenarios for contracts based on the schools, with the primary being based on Utah State and UTEP. My extrapolation (thank you kindergarten) is that SJSU brings in the second most revenue of those options, however that does not mean that they (or USU) are being invited. USU probably will, I imagine. If SJSU was a jump to conclusions (mat) by one of the 'sources', then NT could still be in it. Still seems like a longshot, but I'll cross everything I've got.

I've been watching the MWC and USU forums for the past 45 minutes and now my head hurts from all the different "rumors."

hahaha man i think they are jumping the gun a lil bit at Utah St... if the MWC does decide to go with USU and SJSU that isnt a horrible thing for us... La Tech, NMSU, Tx St, and UTSA just became free agents..... i would love to see us add Tx St, UTSA, NMSU, LT in that order

No TSU. Unless they bring back the mermaids and diving pig. Then we can talk.

I know all of these rumors are coming off message boards and twitter accounts, but I don't think it's a good sign that UNT is not getting mentioned at all...but i'm still praying to the sports gods

Agree, when there is no smoke there is no fire. Sometimes just the sports community talking about a potential school gets administrators thinking they should be thinking about them too.

You can thank the Dodge hire for not getting in.

You are exactly right! If only Dodge could have gone 12-0 every year and blown out whoever we played in the bowl game each year ... and then got us into a BCS bowl game at least one of those years ... and gotten the stadium built two years earlier ... and increased attendence by 20K ... heck, yea we could be in the MWC right now! It's all Dodge's fault!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Whether it's USU or SJSU or not one thing seems for certain and that is that it's not UNT.

I wish all these improvements we were making now would have benefited us this go round (stadium, chuck, etc).

Makes me mad to think that I am going to have to watch Belt teams in our new stadium for the next nth years.

I have had RV tell me that he wanted to build the belt but I hope he wasn't just sitting on his thumb this time. If so, I say it's time for him to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Whether it's USU or SJSU or not one thing seems for certain and that is that it's not UNT.

I wish all these improvements we were making now would have benefited us this go round (stadium, chuck, etc).

Makes me mad to think that I am going to have to watch Belt teams in our new stadium for the next nth years.

I have had RV tell me that he wanted to build the belt but I hope he wasn't just sitting on his thumb this time. If so, I say it's time for him to go.

this is just my gut feeling, as no one has shared privy info with me, but i don't think it was/is ever our plan to go west again, whether it be big west,wac,mwc,big sky,etc;i also feel that our sports consultant was in agreement with our game plan, which appears to build the belt untill we have a chance to move into a "southwest regional conferense." if utep had moved to mwc, you can be assured rv and rawlings would have been all over cusa.

Relax, RV has done more for this school than all the past coaches and AD's combined dating back to 1970.

• Upvote 1

I know it's sad that it's not going to be UNT going to the MWC, but did any of us honestly believe that it would be? I mean realistically when you win 6 football games in the past 4 seasons you are not going to be that attractive to another conference. I understand that our other sports are successful but football is the key to this entire thing. As much as we all want UNT to move up the food chain, it's not going to happen until we start to win in the Sun Belt! Let's worry about that before we start worrying about playing teams like Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St. Our time will come but we're just gonna have to wait! GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this is just my gut feeling, as no one has shared privy info with me, but i don't think it was/is ever our plan to go west again, whether it be big west,wac,mwc,big sky,etc;i also feel that our sports consultant was in agreement with our game plan, which appears to build the belt untill we have a chance to move into a "southwest regional conferense." if utep had moved to mwc, you can be assured rv andrawlings would have been all over cusa.

I understand this and I would rather be in c-USA over the

mt. West, but it would be idiotic to not pursue a spot in the

mt. West if one was available. Building the Belt is a pipe

dream that none of us will ever see. If we want to be apart

of a southwest centered conference why not wait for one

while playing in a respectable conference? I really hope

RV is working on getting us in the mt. West! I would be

sorely disappointed if he is not...

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2

I know it's sad that it's not going to be UNT going to the MWC, but did any of us honestly believe that it would be? I mean realistically when you win 6 football games in the past 4 seasons you are not going to be that attractive to another conference. I understand that our other sports are successful but football is the key to this entire thing. As much as we all want UNT to move up the food chain, it's not going to happen until we start to win in the Sun Belt! Let's worry about that before we start worrying about playing teams like Boise St, Nevada, and Fresno St. Our time will come but we're just gonna have to wait! GMG

On the one hand, I see your point.

On the other, SJSU has had like 3 winning seasons since Carter was president (slight exaggeration maybe).

SJSU has only won 1 game against FBS competition in the last two years...their facilities are terrible, and the MWC commisioner said he would like to maintain a presence in Texas. Yes, I think we had a chance, but I am beginning to lose hope quickly now...

Edited by Mean Green Matt

this is just my gut feeling, as no one has shared privy info with me, but i don't think it was/is ever our plan to go west again, whether it be big west,wac,mwc,big sky,etc;i also feel that our sports consultant was in agreement with our game plan, which appears to build the belt untill we have a chance to move into a "southwest regional conferense." if utep had moved to mwc, you can be assured rv and rawlings would have been all over cusa.

There's not a chance in hell that we wait for the possibility of someday maybe joining a conference that hopefully is Texas heavy. You have to weigh what's on the table at a given moment, and to say the MWC would be an upgrade from the SBC would be the understatement of the year (so far). Thinking about "building the belt" and playing schools like Monroe, Troy, ULL, and FAU for the next 10-20 years makes me physically ill. If even a 5% chance of us joining the MWC is on the table, I would be mortified to hear anything other than NT pulled out all the stops to get us in.

I can't be anymore blunt than that.

• Upvote 3

You can thank the Dodge hire for not getting in.

I'm with GrayEagle who thinks upon Dodge's hiring & during that honeymoon period he telling North Texas powers that be if we didn't get a new stadium our co-existence in this new milleneum as a FBS football program would not be very pleasant. Enter UNT Student Body Referendum which passed quite admirably.

Blame Game? Start out with our alma mater not continuing to try to hire experienced FBS/D1 coaches with HFC's experience. That would be be best place to start. All our project hires seemed to never take us to the next "ranked" era for those of us who still use Top 25 or even a Top 50 ranked football program as a barometer. Bottom 25? Just about anyone could coach at North Texas with that as our bell cow and I think we gave many of that group a chance.

We are now the product of our own consistent abilities to continuously hire the wrong people for this athletic program with some of them having major family jewels to even be arrogant as they continued to steer a piss-poor athletic program.

Other than all that from the past--I think this new stadium gives us the brightest future in Mean Green Country we have had in my lifetime.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1