Mountain West Conference Meeting Today

NT80

pending on whether or not UTEP has actually been invited or not, I wouldn't count them completely out of the equation, if teh MWC can present a pretty $ number, or if they make a VERY convincing case about their potential to become a BCS conference, UTEP might just swing

We are not going to be offered by both conferences at the same time. Whoever of the two offers first, we take it, no questions asked, before they have time to reconsider.

Obviously, it was a hypothetical situation.

I doubt we or UTSA get an invite just because of the distance from the rest of the conference.

Dallas, TX to Miami, FL: 1,303 miles

Dallas, TX to San Diego, CA: 1,362 miles

Dallas, TX to Las Vegas, NV: 1,218 miles

Dallas, TX to Fort Collins, CO: 860 miles

Dallas, TX to Albuquerque, NM: 648 miles

Outside of Boise and Hawaii, we're not any further away than FAU/FIU are from us. Also there's precedent in that TCU is already a member. Finally, if those schools really are true, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't be the 12th. We have a larger market, better athletics, better facilities, larger budget, and more attendance than SJSU. Bigger market, better football, and better facilities than NMSU. Of course, none of this takes into account that DFW is the #1 producer of FBS athletes in the country. UTSA is a non-factor.

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Also keep in mind that the MWC tv contract does not extend into this market.

An aside: what's up with Plum? All of a sudden, a dose of realism?

The Comcast/NBC merger changes the game significantly. With Comcast owning NBC, NBC could carry the Mtn Network.

I doubt we or UTSA get an invite just because of the distance from the rest of the conference.

Which means the MWC would be giving up on Texas for recruiting and TV Markets. I don't know if all the schools would go for that.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Upvote 1

Where are you finding this info?

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9369

It's a fan board for USU. wacfan08 (mwcfan12) and MidnightTrainAggie have both "confirmed" that it's Utah State and San Jose State. I don't know their reliability or if they're historically accurate, just re-posting. The members there seem to put a lot of trust in both.

I have to say, that if this turns out to be true, then I've lost a bit of confidence in RV and Rawlins to get things like this done. Unless the presidents of the 7 voting schools were absolutely not open to hearing anything from Texas schools, then I think a lot of hype was misplaced in Rawlins' hire as it pertains to athletics.

Again, I'll reserve my judgement until I read about it on ESPN, but things don't look good.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 1

http://www.usufans.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9369

It's a fan board for USU. wacfan08 (mwcfan12) and MidnightTrainAggie have both "confirmed" that it's Utah State and San Jose State. I don't know their reliability or if they're historically accurate, just re-posting. The members there seem to put a lot of trust in both.

I have to say, that if this turns out to be true, then I've lost a bit of confidence in RV and Rawlins to get things like this done. Unless the presidents of the 7 voting schools were absolutely not open to hearing anything from Texas schools, then I think a lot of hype was misplaced in Rawlins' hire as it pertains to athletics.

Again, I'll reserve my judgement until I read about it on ESPN, but things don't look good.

The TV contract will probably be the deciding factor in who is or who isn't invited if the MWC does expand.

There are a lot of factors involved in the MWC decision. The pluses have been touted for having a Texas school, the market and better assess to the Texas recruiting;. However, there are certainly minuses. The biggest, no one in Texas except UTEP remotely fits their footprint. The second is they have been dominated by a metroplex team and perhaps they don't want that repeated. The icing on the cake I guess is that they can kill their only not PAC 10 competition with the demise of the WAC.

I wouldn't trust any one's message board, but NT would definitely be a long shot and blaming NT administers would be silly.

• Upvote 2

I wouldn't trust any one's message board, but NT would definitely be a long shot and blaming NT administers would be silly.

Not blame, just disappointment since there was this "mover and shaker" kind of image that accomplished nothing if the rumors are true. If this comes to pass, the silver lining would be that all conferences are about to get a pay increase since the BCS money would be divided by 10 instead of 11. That is unless Benson can keep re-animating a dead corpse by having FCS schools commit to move up. At this point, I'd imagine the SBC has to look pretty tempting to La. Tech and NMSU.

At this point, I'd imagine the SBC has to look pretty tempting to La. Tech and NMSU.

Yes, I'd say NMSU and La Tech should have WW on speed dial if the rumors of USU and SJSU to MWC are true. The WAC won't be a viable FBS conference. I'd bet UTSA and TxState are calling WW too.

I am shocked that SJSU got chosen. They have a crappy 26,000 seat football stadium, and a basketball arena not even half the size of ours. Their attendance is awful as well. Their must have been some other factor (I assume money) involved with the TV contract...if not, they are just an odd choice.

It's time to add two to the belt and get to 12...I would pick Louisiana Tech and Texas State, but NMSU wouldn't be a bad choice either.

We still bolt the first chance we get...

• Upvote 2

I am shocked that SJSU got chosen. They have a crappy 26,000 seat football stadium, and a basketball arena not even half the size of ours. Their attendance is awful as well. Their must have been some other factor (I assume money) involved with the TV contract...if not, they are just an odd choice.

It's time to add two to the belt and get to 12...I would pick Louisiana Tech and Texas State, but NMSU wouldn't be a bad choice either.

We still bolt the first chance we get...

I would take all three of those schools. Though I have joked about it I would like a good TSUSM-UNT rivalry...it is the insane aspirations of UTSA and their "Big 12 in 5 yrs" mindset that causes me to never want to throw them a bone.

Edited by All About UNT

less than a minute ago

MidnightTrain has said the votes to expand are in - 6 to 1. With Boise opposing. Expansion goes through. Not specific teams yet.

Wait, what?

http://twitter.com/#!/desnewskraig

DesNewsKraig Kraig

RT @murphsturph: RT @greide: Hold up... Just heard from a contact and it appears that SJSU has not had any contact with the MWC... yet

Wait, what?

Edited by ColoradoEagle