North Texas Portal Entry Thread

TheReal_jayD

This NIL model is not going to be sustainable except for maybe the 30-40 richest schools.

NFL players get paid but they are working in a business and are paid by the teams: who charge for tickets, media rights, concessions, merchandise, etc. 

Getting boosters to donate $$$ over and over for NIL without any financial return on investment can’t last forever.

And getting these kids to sign autographs at your business or star in a local radio ad is certainly never going to be worth the kind of money being paid. This is pay-for-play, which is supposed to be against the rules.

Eventually, the big schools will have to split off, the players are going to unionize and will get some kind of 50/50 revenue split with the schools. That is the only way this type of money is sustainable, in my opinion. 

And after that, why would the Texas Longhorns let Quinn Ewers get drafted by the Dallas Cowboys? The Longhorns will want to keep him and offer a 10-year contract and suddenly we aren’t even pretending these are student athletes anymore and college football is dead.

• Upvote 7

It’s similar to the facilities arms race. Soon everyone had cool facilities. Now it’s the NIL, and teams like Tech and Miami that were 7-5.6-6 without NIL still have the same record with NIL.  If you’re Uber rich, what benefit are you getting. Your name isn’t on anything like before. You’re throwing money to achieve the same average record. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We aren't.

Regarding the previous post quoting smut2006, therein lies the problem with the NIL.

1.  You all are paying players $40K to just be on the team.  Has nothing to do with name, image or likeness, but is purely pay for play.

The NCAA doesn't have the balls to reign this in and it will end up ruining the best sport out there.

They can't reign it in. Any attempt to do so violates the supreme Court ruling.  Let's say I offer $50k a season in exchange for an interview after each game i put on YouTube. Boom.  Now I've used their N/I/L to drive traffic to my YouTube. Problem solved.

Plus, you don't want it to be more strictly managed. Only players at the biggest schools with the biggest following will be worth someone paying them.  Then only the UT's and Ohio states can do NIL, and consolidate even more power. The current system HELPS the UNTs more than hurts. 

Despite a few QBs getting crazy money, almost all other NIL contracts are not much money.  With some organization you CAN compete in that level

Edited by DentonStang
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, edcollopy said:

It’s similar to the facilities arms race. Soon everyone had cool facilities. Now it’s the NIL, and teams like Tech and Miami that were 7-5.6-6 without NIL still have the same record with NIL.  If you’re Uber rich, what benefit are you getting. Your name isn’t on anything like before. You’re throwing money to achieve the same average record. 

Correct. And the facilities arms race was funded by school-issued bonds, taxes, student fees and booster $$$. The combination of those funds is way more replenishable than NIL money from donors, who derive minimal ROI on that donation and a comparatively fleeting value compared to investing in facilities. 

If a donor gives $1M for a new athletic center then that building might stand for 30 years. If a donor gives $1M NIL for a new quarterback, that QB might get injured and lost for the season in the second game then transfer to another school that Spring. 

I, personally, am donating to the Mean Green Collective, because this is the game right now and I want to win. But I believe NIL will be replaced by some collectively bargained revenue sharing agreement between schools and players soon. 

Edited by MeanGreenZen
Spacing
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Correct. And the facilities arms race was funded by school-issued bonds, taxes, student fees and booster $$$. The combination of those funds is way more replenishable than NIL money from donors, who derive minimal ROI on that donation and a comparatively fleeting value compared to investing in facilities. 

If a donor gives $1M for a new athletic center then that building might stand for 30 years. If a donor gives $1M NIL for a new quarterback, that QB might get injured and lost for the season in the second game then transfer to another school that Spring. 

I, personally, am donating to the Mean Green  Collective, because this is the game right now and I want to win. But I believe NIL will be replaced by some collectively bargained revenue sharing agreement between schools and players soon. 

You do realize players have been getting paid for the last 40 years right?  The only thing NIL did was get everything out in the open.  It would be incredibly naïve to think otherwise.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

13 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

You do realize players have been getting paid for the last 40 years right?  The only thing NIL did was get everything out in the open.  It would be incredibly naïve to think otherwise.

How long until we see a salary cap in place? I guess a player's union will be next. What happens when a million dollar QB gets beat out by a $30k backup? Does the backup hold out for more money? It's a slippery slope. The pros have agents to advise and negotiate for them. Is that next?  Most 19-20 year olds have no idea how all of this works. There has to be a better system. 

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

How long until we see a salary cap in place? I guess a player's union will be next. What happens when a million dollar QB gets beat out by a $30k backup? Does the backup hold out for more money? It's a slippery slope. The pros have agents to advise and negotiate for them. Is that next?  Most 19-20 year olds have no idea how all of this works. There has to be a better system. 

Revenue sharing is on the way without a doubt (and good for the players).  That will have a self-regulating effect on the market/NIL.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Your school more than proved what was going on.  Now, back to the smut board.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SMU2006 said:

Revenue sharing is on the way without a doubt (and good for the players).  That will have a self-regulating effect on the market/NIL.

How would that work though? Schools like Texas and A&M I could see that working for but what about schools like yours where money is mostly generated by donations and not necessarily generated by demand for the product. I am not being disrespectful here, the same would apply to us minus the donation part. 

• Upvote 2

On 11/28/2023 at 1:52 PM, El Paso Eagle said:

I hope he has the same success as Mr Shorter did this season

Did you ever leave a company for a job in the same industry that paid more and offered you a better opportunity? I have, appreciate the year he gave us, and wish him nothing but the best in the future.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

35 minutes ago, wardly said:

Did you ever leave a company for a job in the same industry that paid more and offered you a better opportunity? I have, appreciate the year he gave us, and wish him nothing but the best in the future.

A couple of years ago, I never would have dreamed of "liking" a post like this.  But since the current system has transitioned college football players (or at least many college football players) from student-athletes into paid employees, how can you blame any of them for going where there is more money?  Especially since most of them will never play in the NFL--now's the chance to make money with their talents.

I hate, hate, hate the system, but I can't blame guys in their late teens and early 20's for jumping at the money they're being offered.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Is he going as a graduate transfer? He already used his free transfer. Don't see how he has 2 years of eligibility left but wish him all the best. Must be a pretty good kid or he wouldn't have been voted a captain this year. He handled the demotion from starting QB well. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, wardly said:

I agree but I also when I've left the company I don't expect those at the company I left to still be cheering for me. I don't blame him for what he does, but my ties to these players is they were playing for North Texas. Once they leave I'm not going to wish them bad luck but I'm also not going to wish them luck

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I agree but I also when I've left the company I don't expect those at the company I left to still be cheering for me. I don't blame him for what he does, but my ties to these players is they were playing for North Texas. Once they leave I'm not going to wish them bad luck but I'm also not going to wish them luck

That sounds like someone who is only emotionally invested in himself and what he receives. 

I've had a ton of colleagues who have left me with more work so they can take on a new and better job. People I emotionally bonded with that I hope go on to great success. 

Otherwise it just sounds lonely and kinda depressing...

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 3

36 minutes ago, Udomann said:

That sounds like someone who is only emotionally invested in himself and what he receives. 

I've had a ton of colleagues who have left me with more work so they can take on a new and better job. People I emotionally bonded with that I hope go on to great success. 

Otherwise it just sounds lonely and kinda depressing...

Not sure how you got that. Mainly I'm not going to concern myself with someone who no longer cares about my University once they leave. But if you need to feel warm and fuzzy go ahead. You're probably one of those who when their girlfriend broke up with them you still let them have the tickets to the concert you bought so they could take their new boyfriend

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2