PAC 12 Realignment Talk Mega Thread (All 12 threads merged)

1 hour ago, Victorygreen04 said:

@SMU2006 @mustangfan   ....thoughts?

You know they have to be in their feelings tonight. They came with such confidence and bravado only to watch their university be reduced to desperation by offering to join the ACC for nothing for 5 years. How embarrassing. For once in their life they can’t buy their way into the country club. I know that must sting. 

Anyhoo I’m gonna go make a sandwich. All this laughing has worked up my appetite. 

Edited by C Rod
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 5

On 8/4/2023 at 8:32 PM, NM Green said:

I like that Aresco seems to be holding his cards close to his chest. I bet he plans a work through with the MWC based on the PACS move. I could see the  PAC going the way of the SWC and disappearing. I could see the pairing of programs to make sure everyone has a home. I could see an outright poaching attempt. But Aresco isn’t sitting still despite the silence. 

Leftover programs after the PAC invites leave only 1 that fits our profile and two maybes. 

San Jose State fits the AAC. 
Hawaii and New Mexico are stretches but could have some intrigue. 

Personally without some anchors in Colorado I wouldn’t go too far west. Better situation would be UNLV, SDSU, San Jose State or Fresno, Boise, AF, Colorado State. 

GMG

I would think that Wyoming would also fit the AAC.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 hours ago, Victorygreen04 said:

image.png.65dc42d307aee6b40de37a6971b328db.pngThis is a very solid conference is it a pipe dream? Also when do the MW conf buyout fees drop? 

This could actually happen.  The ACC probably going to decline expansion.  They need 12 of 15 members to approve and they don’t have it.
The AAC is Stanford and Cal’s next best option.  ESPN could help sweeten the offer.  

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Highly recommend that article....good info.

Something that stood out to me (and something I didn't think made a lot of sense) This notion of "they fit the academic profile so they're a fit in a conference."

That's such crap. Yeah presidents claim it matters....right up until adding that team takes $5 million out of their pocket....then screw academic profile. Never agreed with that argument.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Looks like the 4 hold outs are the 4 schools that know they have a home in the P2 if the ACC dies.  No way they want to strengthen the ACC while it's media deal is so far behind the P2.

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

LOL at the TV suits if they think they're going to pull in a bunch of Northeast CFB casuals. The NFL is king in that part of the country and most people couldn't care less about CFB. This also applies to most of the West Coast. 

And what happens when Ohio State vs USC becomes old hat? Right now that game is such a big deal because it rarely happens. But will casuals keep tuning in once it becomes just another Saturday noon kick? 

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

35 minutes ago, NT80 said:

This could actually happen.  The ACC probably going to decline expansion.  They need 12 of 15 members to approve and they don’t have it.
The AAC is Stanford and Cal’s next best option.  ESPN could help sweeten the offer.  

Sounds like they have eight of the twelve needed to approve the expansion. 
Wonder if the other four can be coerced into throwing in the towel and subsequently approve the expansion? 

• Eye Roll 1

2 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

Ok. I get SDSU because of the TV market, but what does Boise offer over CS and AF?

Winning football. CSU hasn't had more than 4 wins in a season since 2017. AFA has been better in that regard, but it's hard to justify taking one without the other.

That isn't to say they're not worth taking, but your 1st tier schools in the MWC are SDSU and Boise. 2nd tier is CSU and AFA. 3rd tier is UNLV and Fresno State. None of the others are worth going after.