SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

On 2/9/2023 at 7:32 AM, dodgefan said:

I also hope we keep playing them in non conference games once their gone.

I also hope we play and beat them at 55% rate going forward (with SMU fielding good teams) regardless of whether it’s a conference game or not.  A FBS program at a big public school in Texas that doesn’t consistently remain above 0.500 is a waste of money.  

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, rcade said:

I hope this doesn't happen. Having SMU in our conference trying to chew their hoof off to escape is entertaining.

I'm torn between wanting them to be "stuck" in a conference with us, and losing, and hoping they jump to a conference that is losing most of it's members, forcing the conference to backfill with NMSU, UTEP, and like schools....and them losing in that conference.  

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ADLER said:

SMU has already accepted the PAC12 invitation. Done deal, same for SDSU.

Washington State and Oregon State are the only current PAC12 schools willing to sign the GOR.

There are no exit fees from the Pac12 if 5 or more current schools leave the conference.

Well, something's happening.

First shoe about to fall 

And the second shoe is unlaced and dangling

For those that didn't watch theres a lot of the limited info we already know, but the most interesting thing he brought up is why would the Big12 let OU/UT go a year early? They let them go for a combined $100m, if they had waited until next year they were looking at $80m each, why would they give up $60m? Best guesses are that they wanted to be set up, and will at least try to offer some PAC teams. Otherwise I'm confused as to why they would give up that money. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

For those that didn't watch theres a lot of the limited info we already know, but the most interesting thing he brought up is why would the Big12 let OU/UT go a year early? They let them go for a combined $100m, if they had waited until next year they were looking at $80m each, why would they give up $60m? Best guesses are that they wanted to be set up, and will at least try to offer some PAC teams. Otherwise I'm confused as to why they would give up that money. 

You're correct. The Big12 sacrificed that momey from UT and OU to get them out by 2024. This wouldn't have happened if the Big12 didn't already have replacements ready to board. Nobody has signed the GOR and the Pac12 will have no media deal in 2024. The "4 Corners" schools are certain to join the Big12, and maybe a couple others may either join them or go to the Big10. 

Florida State is supposedly pushing this:

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I also hope we play and beat them at 55% rate going forward (with SMU fielding good teams) regardless of whether it’s a conference game or not.  A FBS program at a big public school in Texas that doesn’t consistently remain above 0.500 is a waste of money.  

Umm......

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

1 hour ago, ADLER said:

You're correct. The Big12 sacrificed that momey from UT and OU to get them out by 2024. This wouldn't have happened if the Big12 didn't already have replacements ready to board. Nobody has signed the GOR and the Pac12 will have no media deal in 2024. The "4 Corners" schools are certain to join the Big12, and maybe a couple others may either join them or go to the Big10. 

Florida State is supposedly pushing this:

Certain is a strong word, and we all know how wild realignment can be. I do think there will be a real attempt by the Big12 to see if some PAC schools are interested. Is this video saying ESPN is out completely in any scenario? If that can be verified and it's only Amazon bidding (rumored to be putting up $15m a year/per school) then I'd agree with you, as with a payout that low everyone would be leaving.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rudy said:

I'm torn between wanting them to be "stuck" in a conference with us, and losing, and hoping they jump to a conference that is losing most of it's members, forcing the conference to backfill with NMSU, UTEP, and like schools....and them losing in that conference.  

Agree, though I lean to your 2nd option.  That would be greatness.

• Upvote 2

I can't badmouth SMU because I have a daughter that is on the staff there.  I don't defend them very often but in this case I don't believe that SMU is wanting to go to the Pac12 Conference in order to avoid us.  Pure and simple they want to be in a P5 conference.  What I don't get is why the Pac12?  The Big 12 is looking very hard at Utah, Arizona, Arizona State and Colorado which they probably won't get unless the B1G comes after Washington and Oregon.  If both happen then I don't think that Cal and Stanford will remain in the PAC12 with only Oregon State and Washington State.  It's really a crapshoot.  It's mostly up to Washington and Oregon.  I'd hate to have to depend on them for the continuation of the PAC12.

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

I can't badmouth SMU because I have a daughter that is on the staff there.  I don't defend them very often but in this case I don't believe that SMU is wanting to go to the Pac12 Conference in order to avoid us.  Pure and simple they want to be in a P5 conference.  What I don't get is why the Pac12?  The Big 12 is looking very hard at Utah, Arizona, Arizona State and Colorado which they probably won't get unless the B1G comes after Washington and Oregon.  If both happen then I don't think that Cal and Stanford will remain in the PAC12 with only Oregon State and Washington State.  It's really a crapshoot.  It's mostly up to Washington and Oregon.  I'd hate to have to depend on them for the continuation of the PAC12.

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding out there that teams pick their conference. They do not.  Conferences pick the teams.

We want to go to the PAC 12 because they have/will invite us. The Big 12, SEC and Big10 have not. Do you think we'd have played in WAC/CUSA/AAC since the demise of the SWC of we could have just joined the B12?

• Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 3

37 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

There seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding out there that teams pick their conference. They do not.  Conferences pick the teams.

We want to go to the PAC 12 because they have/will invite us. The Big 12, SEC and Big10 have not. Do you think we'd have played in WAC/CUSA/AAC since the demise of the SWC of we could have just joined the B12?

Smu fans have a fundamental misunderstanding of their athletic value to the Big12 and others.  They have no value to the Big12, being bypassed in multiple expansions.  The PAC12 is only interested in the DFW media market, which they will find also ignores SMU athletics.

The PAC12 is in survival mode and will soon be on life support when more members announce leaving the conference.  You are booking a trip on the Titanic.   Lol.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, DentonStang said:

But SMU does make the decision to accept or not. Do you accept every invite you get. As noted above, you are choosing to accept a seat on the Titanic and I think that is hilarious. Make your bed…

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

But SMU does make the decision to accept or not. Do you accept every invite you get. As noted above, you are choosing to accept a seat on the Titanic and I think that is hilarious. Make your bed…

Yeah, you'd sure turn down an invite to the PAC just because of rumors it might lose teams.  Sure. Lol.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

15 minutes ago, dodgefan said:

Ridiculous, we would be ecstatic beyond comprehension, if we thought UNT had even a slender chance, of moving to the PAC12 or any P5.

This. It amazes me people are saying we would not join a P5. We just joined a conference that lost its best teams in hopes that we can be part of rebuilding it. So sorry but with all due respect those that are saying they would turn down an invitation to a P5 conference are letting their emotions getting the way of reality.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

54 minutes ago, greenminer said:

In what scenario(s) can a P5 lose its Power status?

Not sure. The only thing that might be similar (maybe), is that the WAC is claiming that the FBS charter they have is still valid, even though they have not played FBS football in years. I did find this in reference when people were saying with UT and OU leaving the Big 12 was finished -  the study states, “The B12 A-5 status will be fully assured through at least any big reorganization of NCAA models.” Then goes on to state, “fans can stop worrying if the new-look Big 12 will remain a ‘Power Five’ conference. 

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This. It amazes me people are saying we would not join a P5.

Joining a healthy P5 conference would be huge.

Getting a PAC-12 invite today might be like being asked to join the Southwest Conference in 1994. 

Edited by rcade
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not sure. The only thing that might be similar (maybe), is that the WAC is claiming that the FBS charter they have is still valid, even though they have not played FBS football in years. I did find this in reference when people were saying with UT and OU leaving the Big 12 was finished -  the study states, “The B12 A-5 status will be fully assured through at least any big reorganization of NCAA models.” Then goes on to state, “fans can stop worrying if the new-look Big 12 will remain a ‘Power Five’ conference. 

Well, seems like something to look into before accepting an invite.