SMU potentially to the PAC-12

GoGreenBeans

38 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

That should be obvious, don't you think.  

However, it should be also obvious, that I am referring to the problems with the travel, media coverage, and cost involved; not the competition level. 

What was the TV revenue associated with UNT's time in the Big West versus the $15-25m SMU would get being in the PAC?

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, DentonStang said:

If you and the rest of this board can't see how association with the teams in the PAC rather than UNT and Charlotte is beneficial to the university and every portion of the athletic department and football team, from credibility in recruiting, attractiveness for coaches, media coverage and branding, donations, etc. then this is the most clueless board of all time. Good lord, PAC isn't the B10 and there are downsides, but this is insane, and most likely, disingenuous.

What’s disingenuous is hanging around our board in the interest of sports conversation but really just partaking is autofellatio.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, DentonStang said:

If you and the rest of this board can't see how association with the teams in the PAC rather than UNT and Charlotte is beneficial to the university and every portion of the athletic department and football team, from credibility in recruiting, attractiveness for coaches, media coverage and branding, donations, etc. then this is the most clueless board of all time. Good lord, PAC isn't the B10 and there are downsides, but this is insane, and most likely, disingenuous.

Y'all are really dense. Obviously there's plenty of ways the PAC 12 benefits a G5 program. If I'm SMU, I don't think any of what you listed boosts your ability to make the college football playoffs with the expansion from where you are now. Money, brand, donations, recruiting, and so on is not an issue for SMU as it is. Your goal should be to dominate your current conference to get a guaranteed playoff spot, not make your path to the playoffs harder by playing in a tougher conference in exchange for some extra money. A move to the PAC 12 makes sense to any G5 program needing the extra money, brand recognition, recruiting, and so on. That's not SMU, IMO. That's a compliment. This move is nothing more than seeking validation from the college football "powers" and it'll bite you in the butt when an AAC champion gets that 6th playoff bid and SMU watches Utah or Oregon win the PAC 12.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Coffee and TV said:

Whole lotta people in this thread pretending they wouldn't be just as happy with a PAC12 invite as pony fans are. Stop lying to yourselves, it's not healthy.  

The PAC12 would benefit UNT more than it would SMU. I understand why the fans are excited. I'm wondering why it's so important to the decision makers when the PAC 12 can't offer SMU anything they don't already have. Other than getting to sit at the cool kids' table, what else do they get? Harder path to a conference championship so a harder path to the playoffs. Makes no sense for them if their goal is to win national championships once the playoff expansion takes place.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

The PAC12 would benefit UNT more than it would SMU. I understand why the fans are excited. I'm wondering why it's so important to the decision makers when the PAC 12 can't offer SMU anything they don't already have. Other than getting to sit at the cool kids' table, what else do they get? Harder path to a conference championship so a harder path to the playoffs. Makes no sense for them if their goal is to win national championships once the playoff expansion takes place.

fat stacks of TV cash. 

• Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

As stated before, the AAC and MWC should form some type of alliance. Now!

I wouldn't touch the MWC with a 39-and-a-half foot pole.

USC and UCLA are already leaving, and the Pac12 is about to be decimated by two separate groups of four leaving to join the BIG10 and BIG12 respectively. Bank on it, it will happen. Only Oregon St and Washington St will be left. 

SDSU is already set to join the Pac12, and Fresno, UNLV, Reno, and Boise are slated as the first set of replacements. Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado St, and New Mexico would be the next four.

SJSU, Utah St, and Hawaii will be unwanted leftovers, and there's absolutely no way we would want any alliance with them.

SMU has yet to realize they are in the same boat as schools like UNT, Rice, Tulane etc…. Nobody really cares if they move on because they are no different than us. I don’t see why their fans would ever want to travel to California and not be in a conference with alike schools. That’s a truly pathetic fan. 

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Coffee and TV said:

fat stacks of TV cash. 

Which they already have tons of. Generally people want what they don't have, in their case, a college football playoff bid. Guess they can pile more cash on top of the stacks of cash they already have.

Edited by GMG_Dallas

44 minutes ago, ADLER said:

I wouldn't touch the MWC with a 39-and-a-half foot pole.

USC and UCLA are already leaving, and the Pac12 is about to be decimated by two separate groups of four leaving to join the BIG10 and BIG12 respectively. Bank on it, it will happen. Only Oregon St and Washington St will be left. 

SDSU is already set to join the Pac12, and Fresno, UNLV, Reno, and Boise are slated as the first set of replacements. Wyoming, Air Force, Colorado St, and New Mexico would be the next four.

SJSU, Utah St, and Hawaii will be unwanted leftovers, and there's absolutely no way we would want any alliance with them.

With your opinion I guess we should of not joined the AAC, because it will be water downed.  So you believe Fresno, Wyoming, New Mexico and Reno will be in the PAC12? As has been proven geographical location Doesn't MATTER!  Not going to happen. The AAC and the MWC are the top G5's. The association could take on the form of just OCC agreement and maybe a bowl agreement. The geographical footprint would be impressive.

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is exactly where it’s heading. 

I’d end the SMU series after they leave the AAC. Not out of spite or anger but that series just isn’t doing anything for us. The novelty has worn off and even IF we could get a win, not sure it moves the needle much. 

• Upvote 5

19 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Brings up two questions

1.  Why would SMU want to be in the PAC

To escape the AAC maybe, but how this benefits SMU is a mystery

Will cost more and will probably decrease attendance

Less attendance than it already is....

2000.jpeg

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, MeanGreen13 said:

Those schools will want to go to the Big 12 or Pac-12 way before AAC.

When the PAC loses all but Wash St, Ore St then they will keep the name and backfill with as many from the MWC that want to join.  PAC-lite.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this, but if SMU goes to the PAC, then every time a west coast team comes to play in Dallas, they're playing in the central time zone and getting more TV exposure. And they're trying to break into Texas more for recruiting purposes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

12 minutes ago, YNWA2017 said:

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this, but if SMU goes to the PAC, then every time a west coast team comes to play in Dallas, they're playing in the central time zone and getting more TV exposure. And they're trying to break into Texas more for recruiting purposes. 

They can already do this.....Cal is playing at Apogee this fall, at Notre Dame last year and at Ole Miss the year before.  

• Upvote 2

I've said before, we should never play smu again. Nor should anyone else. Sad that you smuers have to pick yourselves up by comparing to a state school that is downtrodden by lobbying and interests of two most gargantuan state schools and 3 deranged private schools. Maybe it will sink in when you're regularly losing to Liberty. Vito was wrong, smu presence was never a benefit of AAC. Good riddance.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 1