Taking a look at the Oline prospects for future

Harry

Current ol on 2018 rosterhttps://meangreensports.com/roster.aspx?path=football&roster=25&sort=position

RT/LT's Mayfield and Murray graduate after this season

Jordan Redfearn true frosh - 6-3, 305 - not played at all to my knowledge; likely redshirting

Jacob Brammer 6-4, 270 - has played some this season - redshirt freshman

Sosaia Mose - 6-2, 301 redshirt junior; starter

Chris Beckham - 6-5, 316 true freshman walk-on from LD Bell

Ted Fausak - 6'4" 288 lbs - redshirt senior juco transfer - reserve

Chad Hickson - 6-4, 281 redshirt soph transfer from Panhandle State

Brendon Weatherspoon - 6-4, 289 redshirt freshman scholarship player who suffered injury from LD Bell

Jevin Pahinui - 6-4, 290 redshirt senior who has had injuries and never played

Thomas Preston 6-4, 282 junior who has played a lot in a reserve role - juco from Scottsdale

Manase Mose 6-1, 294 redshirt frosh Euless - stud

Cole Brown 6-4, 257 frosh Conroe HS - walkon

Chandler Anthony 6-7. 299 redshirt soph from Tuttle OK - perhaps the hope at one of the tackle positions next season

Elex Woodworth  6-4, 288 redshirt junior - starter and good player who will be back next season and could play tackle

Daizon Carroll 6-2, 322 freshman Waco Midway - good size; has potential to help at guard

2019 verbal OL commits

John Brunner - 6-5, 300 out of Brock Texas

Daxton Buyers 6-5, 295 out of Tuttle OK

Chris Cassidy 6-4, 275 out of Angleton, TX

Thoughts:

14 coming back at the position off of the current roster - 5 appear to be preferred walk-ons.  Scholarship number is 9 current and 3 in the 19 class assuming we stand pat making the count 12 scholarship OL for next season.

I would not take too much stock in any of the 3 signees helping right away (in 2019) as you want to redshirt those guys if you possibly can and put on weight strength.

The good news is the interior of the line is back and they appear to be pretty solid.  Brammer and Woodworth appears to be possibilities to step in at tackle and perhaps Anthony.  Preston seems versatile and solid contributor.

The bad news is you lose your two starters at tackle and there is no guarantee that their replacements would be better or they might already be playing.

Seems to me the biggest need area on this team with a weapon like Fine at QB is the OLine.  Not sure that we can expect a step up necessarily without signing some juco transfers who could compete for starting spots and provide depth.

I anticipate Woody finally gets to move over to Left Tackle and Preston takes the LG spot.   Sose bros remain in their spots & Brammer/Parish duke it out for that RT spot.

As of now, I'm really worried about the line next year, again.

12 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Do we need improvement at the position coach?

Not opposed if that's what Littrell thinks.

• Thanks 1

Of course the main concern is the tackles, but backup center should be on our radar as well. Pretty sure the backup spot is held by a walk on - fairly surprising considering how many OL we have signed the last three years. 

Lets not forget we had a season where we ended up finishing the year with our 3rd string center. 

• Ray 1

22 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The thing is....

We're going to have to have an improved offensive line next year...

Because we're going to have to have an improved offense next year...

Because our D is going to be in serious rebuilding mode.

This may be true, but the dudes who return up front will make the rebuild a little easier on the guys in the back. 
As awesome as Rod is/has been, I think Novil steps right in and we barely miss a beat there.   English will have a year's worth of play under his belt & LeBlanc will be behind him.   Hambone returns, as does Colvin.   We're in good shape up there.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

“Jordan Redfearn true frosh - 6-3, 305 - not played at all to my knowledge; likely redshirting”

Seems like I heard that Redfearn had some sort of surgery right before the season started. He was probably going to redshirt anyway.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Because our D is going to be in serious rebuilding mode.

The optimist in me wants to believe that we have gotten to a point where the drop off is not going to be that bad, because we should reload rather than rebuild. I know, I don’t have any evidence to support that this is the case.

another way to appoach this is, how are we looking at NT? English is listed as a RS Jr. If he can continue to grow, I think we might actually be okay.

solid play at tackle is so critical for this scheme.

• Lovely Take 1

So lets assume that the 3 commits will not play next season. That means 9 scholarship players available for a position where you start 5.  That means you are less than two deep from the start. If just one or two of them don't play as well as evaluation indicated, you are in deep trouble already. If you have an injury or two you are in deep trouble. It simply feels to me like the numbers expended at the position might have to be one or two schollies more. Not fully sure where we need to take those from in the future. I guess I currently feel like maybe one could come over from WR.

• Upvote 1

There are few players on the list Harry posted that impress me ”size wise”.  We need “road graders” up front to clear paths for our running backs and to keep Mason Fine from getting hurt. And that includes the defensive side too.  Go back and look at the measurables of of La Tech, UAB, etc.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Marty said:

“Jordan Redfearn true frosh - 6-3, 305 - not played at all to my knowledge; likely redshirting”

Seems like I heard that Redfearn had some sort of surgery right before the season started. He was probably going to redshirt anyway.

ACL

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This may be true, but the dudes who return up front will make the rebuild a little easier on the guys in the back. 
As awesome as Rod is/has been, I think Novil steps right in and we barely miss a beat there.   English will have a year's worth of play under his belt & LeBlanc will be behind him.   Hambone returns, as does Colvin.   We're in good shape up there.

I agree to a point....

But man, we have some big shoes to fill in Ejiya, Garner, Brooks and Hall

HUGE shoes

We have talent behind them but you're talking about arguably the four best players on our defense....

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I agree to a point....

HUGE shoes

We have talent behind them but you're talking about arguably the four best players on our defense....

I won't be surprised to see one of the true freshman step in for Garner/Ejiya. 

We may see a lot more true shootouts next year. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I agree to a point....

HUGE shoes

I might be completely wrong but I feel like the young secondary will grow leaps and bounds in the off season and make an impact next year. I also believe that we will have a lot of our Freshman coming in from this class and make an impact. There will be growing pains but I feel like it'll be good.

It's hard to fill these shoes but I dont think we will take tooooo big of a step back but I have been wrong before. This is probably wishful thinking

Here’s an opportunity for those of you living around the Denton area,.....

John Brunner #74 and his Brock Eagles play at Ponder this Friday night at 7:30.  If your available you should go see him play.  The Brunner family are good people and have become Mean Green fans, making several of our games.  His dad used to play semi for the Weatherford Bullets, so we’re getting a great football family with this kid.  

Rick

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think DL will be alright. Novil is great. But Rod has been a beast. Big shoes to fill. But I think EJ will be the biggest shoes to fill. He is a P5 talent flying around. Right behind him is losing Hall and Brooks. They could be the top CB duo in G5 currently

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This. 

2017 = 2019. 

2018 was going to be and was always going to be this teams peak in the Mason Fine era IMO. 

This is why I took the losses to La Tech and UAB so hard. This was our year. we are losing 6 Starters on Defense and everyone of them is going to be tough shoes to fill.

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

We're basically Southern Miss when they had Mullens.

Fantastic QB, but can never get over the top.

My biggest fear. Very rare to have the top QB and Defense in Conference. You have to take advantage when you have it.

52 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

I might be completely wrong but I feel like the young secondary will grow leaps and bounds in the off season and make an impact next year. I also believe that we will have a lot of our Freshman coming in from this class and make an impact. There will be growing pains but I feel like it'll be good.

It's hard to fill these shoes but I dont think we will take tooooo big of a step back but I have been wrong before. This is probably wishful thinking

I don't think we take a huge step back. But i definitely think there will be some regression. Replacing Rod, EJ, Kemon, Tj, BG and Nate will be tough. I think if we can hang on to them. Several true freshman will crack the 2 deep next year. Which is exciting and equally scary.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

When people speak to the fact that we lose fine I get that, he's a once in a lifetime QB for sure.  The difference now is we have some young talent beneath him.  Jeremy Bean for instance could add a running option to the QB position that Fine didn't have.  My point is the QB stable is so much deeper than in past regimes and this bodes well for the future of the offense.