F I U Axes Band And Cheerleaders For 2009 Season

MeanGreen61

Florida International University Games Will Be More Quiet Next Season

POSTED: Wednesday, June 24, 2009

UPDATED: 10:59 am EDT June 24, 2009

WEST MIAMI-DADE, Fla. -- There will be no marching band or cheerleaders at Florida International University football games this coming season. FIU is no longer funding the band or cheerleaders.

The university blamed the economy for the cuts. It reportedly costs more than $200,000 to fund the band and $25,000 to maintain a cheerleading program.

FIU's dance team, the Golden Dazzlers, will stay.

The cuts come after FIU spent millions on a new stadium for the football team, and hired high-profile basketball coach Isiah Thomas.

Surely they explored the idea of music department helping with funding before they took this dire step. 14 dance team girls in the middle of the football field at halftime, dancing to canned music will be most impressive.

no but seriously, they should drop to D1AA. This is a clear sign that you have failed at the D1A experiement. If you cannot afford 200K for a band, you should not be allowed in D1A.

Well, I read in the local newspaper that Arizona State was forcing some coaches to take a furlough to save on expenses; times are hard in all conferences in this bad economy. Expect more of this in the coming year or two; we are not out of the woods by a long shot !!!

Look, the recession is real in other places. Florida is hard hit. Pile that on top of trying to climb the rungs to the big time, and something's got to give. Even the Sun Belt Conference has cut back. This year, there will be no Media Day in July. It will all be via computer and video conference. Cost savings...around $30k. FIU is making though choices, and it looks like they're going with facilities over people.

This thing is, it has to hit a wall somewhere. An article two days ago discussed the University of Florida's $89 million dollar budget for their athletic department. 89 million. The bubble will burst on all of it someday. At some point, the recession hits consumers, who stop buying from advertisers, who stop buy time from the networks, etc. It will happen more quickly to the FIU's of the world...of which we are one.

Biltong.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

We should consider such circumstances when we bemoan the fact that various teams have “passed us by.” I’m not suggesting that it hasn’t ever happened, but there is clearly more behind a program’s overall prestige than on-field performance during the span of a year or two.

I would be a little careful about all this criticism of FIU. All university programs are feeling the pinch which gets worse as you go down the athletic food chain. All those commenting that FIU doesn't belong in the FB Division, I assume are confident that UNT won't have much worse budget problems when trying to fund a new stadium in this economy.

I would be a little careful about all this criticism of FIU. All university programs are feeling the pinch which gets worse as you go down the athletic food chain. All those commenting that FIU doesn't belong in the FB Division, I assume are confident that UNT won't have much worse budget problems when trying to fund a new stadium in this economy.

Agreed. This year, we need to dig a little deeper - buy an extra shirt, or give a little more if you can because somebody somewhere has already decided not to renew their tickets or membership for this season.

Hopefully, they can put together a volunteer band and cheerleader squad. After all, the uniforms are already paid for (?) and many of the musicians from last season are still on campus. And I don't think there is a NCAA rule on how many years a trombone player can participate. This will be a good experiment to see how much spirit the band and cheerleaders really do have.

Surely they explored the idea of music department helping with funding before they took this dire step. 14 dance team girls in the middle of the football field at halftime, dancing to canned music will be most impressive.

I guess everyone washes their own car in Miami.

I think UNT would cut the football team before they would cut the band.

200K to support a band? Doesthatinclude theband directorssalary? Does thismean the band director was letgo?Mostbands donotmake road trips....nocostfor awaygames. You dont pay the band members, in fact they are students at the school who are paying tuition. You can play in the band as long as you want to, as long as you are willing to do the work...no aging out. Like somebody said, uniforms are paid for. I see some bands wearing shorts and tee shirts....not a bad idea in Florida. I just dont see the cost...insurance? do they feed them? I can't see a college game withoout a band. Cheerleaders? Must be the insurance cost. I dont see a coach working for 25K, so that must not be in the cost reduction either.

I think this is a bad idea. The numbers just don't make sense....College football is half pageatry...which includes the band and cheerleaders....

200K to support a band? Doesthatinclude theband directorssalary? Does thismean the band director was letgo?Mostbands donotmake road trips....nocostfor awaygames. You dont pay the band members, in fact they are students at the school who are paying tuition. You can play in the band as long as you want to, as long as you are willing to do the work...no aging out. Like somebody said, uniforms are paid for. I see some bands wearing shorts and tee shirts....not a bad idea in Florida. I just dont see the cost...insurance? do they feed them? I can't see a college game withoout a band. Cheerleaders? Must be the insurance cost. I dont see a coach working for 25K, so that must not be in the cost reduction either.

I think this is a bad idea. The numbers just don't make sense....College football is half pageatry...which includes the band and cheerleaders....

Not that you'll find all of your answers, but here are a few more details: Marching Band officially eliminated due to budget cuts

Not that you'll find all of your answers, but here are a few more details: Marching Band officially eliminated due to budget cuts

The band sought full funding through Student Government Association at a University Wide Budget Hearing in April.

SGA, however, moved to not give the band any of the remaining $459,626 in Activity and Service fee funds, effectively eliminating the band. . . .

Jones said that at the end, however, SGA alone could not fund the band, mainly the salary of a faculty member to oversee it.

In order to fill the void left by the program, Athletics is reaching out to high school marching band programs to perform at sporting events.

That is sad.