Should the American add any more non-football/basketball-only members?

This discussion may have already been shut down by the conference around the time Army was added for football. An odd number of teams isn't as much of a big deal for scheduling in basketball compared to football (honestly 13 might be perfect - play 6 teams twice, 6 teams once), but obviously SMU wasn't the only program looking for an out once Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati left, and the conference leadership should keep that in mind.

Having teams like VCU, Dayton, and a wild card between someone like Richmond or George Mason would be quality adds in my mind. Plus they help even out the conference geography a bit for teams like Temple, Charlotte, and ECU.

Edited by Matt from A700
  • Upvote 5

17 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

This discussion may have already been shut down by the conference around the time Army was added for football. An odd number of teams isn't as much of a big deal for scheduling in basketball compared to football (honestly 13 might be perfect - play 6 teams twice, 6 teams once), but obviously SMU wasn't the only program looking for an out once Houston, UCF, and Cincinnati left, and the conference leadership should keep that in mind.

Having teams like VCU, Dayton, and a wild card between someone like Richmond or George Mason would be quality adds in my mind. Plus they help even out the conference geography a bit for teams like Temple, Charlotte, and ECU.

I agree another basketball only program might be attractive for our East Coast members. Regarding someone leaving the AAC, where would they go? In the next year or two the PAC 2 should solicit SDSU, FSU, Boise,AFC,Colorado State, and UNLV to reform the PAC 8. They might add another 2 programs but I don't know who they would be. At that point the MAC leftovers and the WAC looks like a match except for UNM. The Lobos seemed to have turned their basketball program around and just made a major football commitment in hiring Bronco Nagursky[ I can't spell his last name ]. They might draw interest from the AAC [I say might] but probable will stay in the WAC/MWC conference.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, wardly said:

I agree another basketball only program might be attractive for our East Coast members. Regarding someone leaving the AAC, where would they go? In the next year or two the PAC 2 should solicit SDSU, FSU, Boise,AFC,Colorado State, and UNLV to reform the PAC 8. They might add another 2 programs but I don't know who they would be. At that point the MAC leftovers and the WAC looks like a match except for UNM. The Lobos seemed to have turned their basketball program around and just made a major football commitment in hiring Bronco Nagursky[ I can't spell his last name ]. They might draw interest from the AAC [I say might] but probable will stay in the WAC/MWC conference.

I think there's some hysterical Memphis and Tulane fans with Big XII/ACC pipe dreams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

I think there's some hysterical Memphis and Tulane fans with Big XII/ACC pipe dreams.

Agreed, but that ship has sailed. No on wants a private school unless it's USC [ or $MU ] , and given the choice between USF and the Tampa market Memphis will continue to be on the outside looking in. The Bulls have their basketball rolling, in process of opening a new indoor practice facility , and also building an on campus stadium .USF could be a Big 12 target except for the bad blood between them and UCF. When the Knights wanted to join CUSA [ when it was a real conference] the USF president blocked their entry.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Only if we can get someone like Dayton or VCU. Those are very strong programs that would bolster the conference.

Projections today give Dayton a #6 seed, Richmond #12, FAU #8, and USF #12. Granted this could change after conference tournament play but unless the AAC can pay A10 members considerably than they are receiving now I don't see why their would be any interest at their end.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, wardly said:

Projections today give Dayton a #6 seed, Richmond #12, FAU #8, and USF #12. Granted this could change after conference tournament play but unless the AAC can pay A10 members considerably than they are receiving now I don't see why their would be any interest at their end.

Also U Mass moving from A10 to The MAC in 2025 which will give their football program a home.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

The A10 doesn't officially disclose finances, but people have been able to get their numbers from tax filings. Last year each team made $380k from media payout, and they signed a new deal last December that is rumored to be about $500k. The money left over from SMU leaving and Army joining is about $2.1M, quadruple what they get now, plus whatever tourney credits/other conference payouts there are.

I'll say that I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of national broadcasts we've had since joining the AAC. It's really up to them if they think the extra travel would be worth the money and exposure.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

The A10 doesn't officially disclose finances, but people have been able to get their numbers from tax filings. Last year each team made $380k from media payout, and they signed a new deal last December that is rumored to be about $500k. The money left over from SMU leaving and Army joining is about $2.1M, quadruple what they get now, plus whatever tourney credits/other conference payouts there are.

I'll say that I've been pleasantly surprised by the amount of national broadcasts we've had since joining the AAC. It's really up to them if they think the extra travel would be worth the money and exposure.

Thanks for the financial information! I would think that if joining the AAC they would get the same amount as Wichita, which I assume is considerably less than football playing members.  Also,I have watched more UNT football and basketball games on TV since joining the AAC than all previous years combined.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, wardly said:

Thanks for the financial information! I would think that if joining the AAC they would get the same amount as Wichita, which I assume is considerably less than football playing members.  Also,I have watched more UNT football and basketball games on TV since joining the AAC than all previous years combined.

Also, what are your thoughts on U Conn for football only? The AAC could stipulate they plan a certain number of non-conference basketball games, both men and women's, as a condition of membership.

31 minutes ago, wardly said:

Also, what are your thoughts on U Conn for football only? The AAC could stipulate they plan a certain number of non-conference basketball games, both men and women's, as a condition of membership.

I'd say no to UConn as FB only.  They don't care about FB and we also don't have the money to add another team. 1 non-FB add works because they are essentially splitting SMU's full share of $7m and giving about 2/3 to Army, leaving about 1/3 for a non-FB member.

• Upvote 3

On 2/27/2024 at 9:50 AM, wardly said:

Agreed, but that ship has sailed. No on wants a private school unless it's USC [ or $MU ] , and given the choice between USF and the Tampa market Memphis will continue to be on the outside looking in. The Bulls have their basketball rolling, in process of opening a new indoor practice facility , and also building an on campus stadium .USF could be a Big 12 target except for the bad blood between them and UCF. When the Knights wanted to join CUSA [ when it was a real conference] the USF president blocked their entry.

Tulane is private, but they have the money.  Maybe more than smut.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

Tulane is private, but they have the money.  Maybe more than smut.

Rice also is private, as well as Tulsa.  Rice may have more money than the other AAC privates combined?

Tulane used to be in the SEC, and won 3 SEC Football Championships.  Rice at one time was a National power as a member of the Southwest Conference and won 7 SWC Football Championships. 

Tulane left the SEC in1966 due to financial difficulties, a desire to de-emphasize athletics, and a focus on academic pursuits. This decision had repercussions for the university's football program.

Rice has the second-smallest undergraduate enrollment of any FBS member, ahead of only Tulsa.

4 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

I'd say no to UConn as FB only.  They don't care about FB and we also don't have the money to add another team. 1 non-FB add works because they are essentially splitting SMU's full share of $7m and giving about 2/3 to Army, leaving about 1/3 for a non-FB member.

Good to know! Thanks again for the information.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Good to know! Thanks again for the information.

You're welcome!

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

Rice also is private, as well as Tulsa.  Rice may have more money than the other AAC privates combined?

Tulane used to be in the SEC, and won 3 SEC Football Championships.  Rice at one time was a National power as a member of the Southwest Conference and won 7 SWC Football Championships. 

Tulane left the SEC in1966 due to financial difficulties, a desire to de-emphasize athletics, and a focus on academic pursuits. This decision had repercussions for the university's football program.

Rice has the second-smallest undergraduate enrollment of any FBS member, ahead of only Tulsa.

Take it for what it's worth, but I've heard people say conferences added privates schools to hide contracts/payouts/anything else they didn't want public since they were not obligated to show public records. Again, take it as just a myth, it's just something I've heard quite a few times.

• Upvote 1

On 2/28/2024 at 5:44 PM, Green Otaku said:

You're welcome!

Take it for what it's worth, but I've heard people say conferences added privates schools to hide contracts/payouts/anything else they didn't want public since they were not obligated to show public records. Again, take it as just a myth, it's just something I've heard quite a few times.

Well that explains Rice being in the AAC.