UNT Renames Its Football Stadium, Awkwardly

Tom McKrackin

Allow me to be the first to inform you that DATCU Stadium is not, in fact, the place where the Horned Frogs play.

I must confess that, prior to today, I had no idea what DATCU was. Our online managing editor and intrepid UNT alum Matt Goodman informs me it is a Denton-based credit union, so it makes all sort of sense that they would be interested in partnering with the local university. That’s doubly true considering DATCU was founded by UNT faculty following the Great Depression as Denton County Teachers Federal Credit Union (which is known today as Denton Area Teachers Credit Union; here’s a video about it). And it’s triply true considering DATCU president Melanie Vest is a Mean Green alum and the new subject of this moderately disorienting GIF.

Alas, sometimes good intentions trump good ol’ common sense. Such is the case now that, in a new naming-rights agreement, UNT’s Apogee Stadium will now be called DATCU Stadium.

If you’re in the Denton community, this may not scan as odd to you. For the rest of us, I’ll pause as you read that name a time or three, then you inevitably arrive where I did: the University of North Texas will play its football games at a place people will clown as DA TCU Stadium.

And by “will,” I mean “already have.”

More than once.

This is going to be awkward.

read more: https://www.dmagazine.com/sports/2023/07/unt-datcu-football-stadium/

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 10
  • Downvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, untcampbell said:

One reason SUMG suggested calling it The Dat. No TCU. Or even the Big 12's newest: CU.

The Dat, it is.

GMG

I like it. And if TCU fans want to act like that we can just start saying teachers credit union plays at amon carter.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, NT93 said:

The writer acts as if the AD just chose this name.  They’re being paid $$$ to use the name.  Are they supposed to say, “We’d love to have your money, but we can’t call it DATCU Stadium.”?

What a dumb article.

Does anyone know the details around the $$$$ amount and term? 

8 minutes ago, keith said:

Does anyone know the details around the $$$$ amount and term? 

It was reported as a 15 year deal, at the event y'day. . Since then, Brett Vito is reporting that the deal is for $21.5 million. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

No one has mentioned this, but in addition to the money that we are getting from DATCU, I anticipate that every employee at the various locations will be more than happy to provide customers with season ticket applications. In addition, I anticipate that those same employees will be more than happy to help the season ticket applicants do the paperwork for automatic withdrawals from their accounts for season tickets and the Mean Green Club. 

• Upvote 3

Just an old school guy here.  I'll probably just refer to it by a nickname, you know, something boring like "Eagle Stadium".  My wife (also NT grad) thought I was joking when I told her the new name.  Tried to explain the whole thing.  It didn't take. "Fly Like An Eagle" 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UNTethered Eagle said:

The only thing I can surmise is that people can’t read properly anymore.

people on the internet are usually 1 of 3 things:

1) Determined to be angry
2) Determined to tell you how wrong you are, or
3) Determined to show you how right they are

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1