Houston announces 23,500 season tickets sold

Jonnyeagle

Why you ask, what caused the growth?   I would say a consistent investment in the program financially from the administration and large donors over a long period of time.  

Believe me, Baylor, Tech, OSU, KU, KSU et al never ever wanted to ever see this happen.  There were many disappointments along the way for Houston of course.   They were called Cougar High and ridiculed for many years.  And yet the kept investing in facilities, coaches despite the "G5" label that had been thrown around their neck like an albatross.

I recall people stating how Houston was throwing money away.  And then they lured Holgerson away from WVU.

And yes, these season ticket sales are directly tied to the fact they are in some way returning to a new version of the SWC.   And yes I believe the Big 12 should be our goal as well.

My point is, when they started all this there were the same naysayers that said they would never succeed.  It can be accomplished folks.

Edited by Jonnyeagle
  • Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

• Jonnyeagle changed the title to Houston announces 23,500 season tickets sold
43 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

How do you think our sales would look like if we also hosted TCU, Texas, Cincinnati, and West Virginia?  I’m not saying we’d have 23,000, but those opponents definitely help their cause.  

We also host Oklahoma State, Sam Houston and UTSA. 

This was all one hell of a coincidence, but we dont even leave the state of Texas until Oct 28 when we go up to K-State.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

Anyone know how many season tickets we sell right now?

This is the number one thing holding us back. In every other area of comparison with our AAC peers, we are somewhere in the middle.  Season tickets are our worst area of comparison by far. Too many walk up sales and not enough commitment from those on the fringe. 

• Upvote 1

And I am really at a loss as to what the solution is. I regularly invite guests, many of whom are alumni.  All enjoy and want to come again.  None have bought their own tickets.  They just want to be invited again.  

They buy NT gear and follow the team, but they don't come on their own.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNT86 said:

And I am really at a loss as to what the solution is. I regularly invite guests, many of whom are alumni.  All enjoy and want to come again.  None have bought their own tickets.  They just want to be invited again.  

It would be my assumption that they weren't having that great of time or they don't care that much then.  I'll go to a stars game for free and have a pretty good time, but I won't buy tickets.  🙂

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, UNT86 said:

It's because UNT athletics are not seen as an in-demand commodity. When a concert sells out in seconds people know they have to scramble to get in or risk missing out. For things to change there needs to be a demand for UNT athletics and to create that demand we have to multiple seasons of championships, top 25 rankings, sweet 16/elite 8 runs for basketball, and hopefully some type of top bowl/cfp for football. Look at the roadmaps that Houston and Cincy had, and what it took for them to be considered a nationally recognized program. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, NT80 said:

Time to bring back the Mean Green Club.   Things haven't been the same since Wren killed it.

Can you explain exactly what you think you lost with the name change? I don’t think it changed much if at all but willing to hear a different perspective.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Can you explain exactly what you think you lost with the name change? I don’t think it changed much if at all but willing to hear a different perspective.

Quarterly meetings for one.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

The Mean Green Club had more of a social aspect to it, regular meetings and communications, in addition to financial contributions.   It wasn't just a money-grab like the current system seems to be.   

We were told the name change to "scholarship fund" was "required" due to some tax accounting purposes.  I doubt that is correct because other schools still have fundraising arms called "clubs", as in Mustang Club, Red Raider Club, etc.   Also, some want to contribute to facilities or specific sports rather than scholarships (that get thrown back in our face by some athletes due to NIL).  

https://smumustangs.com/sports/mustangclub

https://www.redraiderclub.com/

https://uhcougars.com/news/2000/10/26/Cougar_Club_News

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1