Worst call of all time? Yes.

26 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

What was the reaction from both fan bases?  I’m curious. 

NT led the majority of the game.  NT was up 14-7 at half, and 21-14 end of 3rd quarter.  Texas scored a TD with 3:30 remaining in the game, went for 2 and missed it, NT up 21-20.  NT added a FG with 1:30 remaining to make it 24-20.   uT had to have a TD to win.

This last TD? happened with only 45 seconds left in the game.   Lots of Booing from the 10K NT fans.  uT fans were mostly very cordial and consoling after the game...complimenting us on our game and knew they should have lost and were given a bogus win.

NT only had 55 plays on Offense (23 yds rushing, 419 passing).  Texas had 92 plays (71 rushes for 312 yds, 169 passing).

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/88/ut-nts.htm#GAME.DRV

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Glory to the Green said:

What was the reaction from both fan bases?  I’m curious. 

I was there with my wife, fiancée at the time (A UT Grad) and was the only one in a group of UT fans. Several turned to me and said that was about as bad of a "homer" job that they had ever seen.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Thanks 2

Help me lads. Wasn't the other Cash TD pass just as egregious? Either way, my memory is shady because I thought that first TD pass was also in the second half, not in the first half.

I'd also like a little more context on our last drive, the FG. We stalled inside the 20, I believe, and kick a FG. How did we get there?

It was a great game, yet the outcome so defeating. But it was the most humble I have ever seen the Texas fan. Saying that as a UT transfer who had 45 yard line seats in the two seasons I was at Texas (78-79). The most I ever enjoyed a Texas game.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Dale Hansen when talking about UT football would play that clip. If I'm not mistaken UT finally asked him not to show it when referencing UT Football.

Everybody in the State of Texas knows the refs gave that game to UT.

• Upvote 2

I was at that game, home side of the field, 20 yard line(?), so I had a decent view but not a perfect view.  The replay shows it all.  Just toggle the start/stop button and it clearly shows that the receiver did not have possession in bounds.

It did the Horns no favors either as it prolonged the David McWilliams era.  A honestly called game would have had him gone by Sunday morning.  Who knows who Dodds could have hired had he gotten an earlier start.

• Upvote 1

On 3/10/2024 at 6:36 PM, Glory to the Green said:

I wonder if many posters even know what the votes they bestow even mean.  I think many are reacting to the event not the post.  Why would anyone give a negative vote to Glory to the Green for this post?

NT was robbed on this play, let's give a barfing eagle icon to the poster.

• Thanks 1

It wasn't even close to being caught.  It was only first down, so there is no guarantee Texas wouldn't have ended up scoring anyway, but that play is one of the worst reffing mistakes I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...