Houston announces 23,500 season tickets sold

Jonnyeagle

22 hours ago, NT80 said:

The Mean Green Club had more of a social aspect to it, regular meetings and communications, in addition to financial contributions.   It wasn't just a money-grab like the current system seems to be.   

We were told the name change to "scholarship fund" was "required" due to some tax accounting purposes.  I doubt that is correct because other schools still have fundraising arms called "clubs", as in Mustang Club, Red Raider Club, etc.   Also, some want to contribute to facilities or specific sports rather than scholarships (that get thrown back in our face by some athletes due to NIL).  

https://smumustangs.com/sports/mustangclub

https://www.redraiderclub.com/

https://uhcougars.com/news/2000/10/26/Cougar_Club_News

Ok. I am sorry you aren’t getting much out of it. I don’t live in the area (or country) but attended a very nice event this summer when I was in town to pick up my season tickets (I think that was the event…).  Lots of free food and interaction with coaches, watched a practice in the stadium.  I seem to recall several events like that over the past few years, but since I am not around I could be mistaken. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, NT80 said:

The Mean Green Club had more of a social aspect to it, regular meetings and communications

Did it though? I don't really remember seeing special meetings. Maybe 20 years ago, but the Mean Green Club had been "owned" by UNT for a long time no different than how the MGSF is not a separate entity.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, kj86 said:

I just like being a member of a club vs. being on a list of donors.

That makes sense. I still feel like there have been more events under Baker/Mosley than when it was called a club. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

That makes sense. I still feel like there have been more events under Baker/Mosley than when it was called a club. 

It began as the Mean Green Club under Hayden Fry all the way back to the mid-70's, then off and on during different ADs and eras.  Large donors got Mean Green sports jackets with Flying Worms on the breast pocket.  You still see some at big events occasionally; saw someone wearing one during the NIT final on TV.  Lots of history lost when Wren ended it.

Edited by NT80
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

The best part about being a fan/alum of a new P5 school is watching SMU, USF and Memphis kick, whine and scream about it.

UH was in the SWC once too, then left behind.  Doors open and close as conferences change.   One year you're wine, next year sour grapes!  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

The best part about being a fan/alum of a new P5 school is watching SMU, USF and Memphis kick, whine and scream about it.

I will give Houston credit for earning their way. Meanwhile SMU is trying to see if you can buy your way

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

7 hours ago, Green Otaku said:

Have the Memphis fans always been such miserable bastards? Or is this a new thing? 

Always. Everything that had ever happened to them is somebody else's fault. 

They were "screwed" out of the ACC by Louisville.

They were "screwed" outta the SEC by Tennessee and Ole Miss

Now they were "screwed" outta the Big 12 by us apparently. According to them, they were the 4th team in but we allegedly went to Gov Abbot and Lt. Gov Patrick, made multiple threats in the state legislature and bumped Memphis for the 4th spot.

Take the victim mentality UNT has at times, pump it with steroids and you get Memphis.

Surely it has nothing to do with the fact they don't play football or basketball on campus, have poor academics, no research dollars and Memphis being a shithole.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2023 at 2:26 PM, Cougar King said:

All 23,500 of them were purchased by me.

Gonna be a tough year at TDECU which is why we didn’t renew ours this year.  Basketball will be competitive but Dana has got to go.  

Edited by BBA1989
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

22 minutes ago, BBA1989 said:

Gonna be a tough year at TDECU which is why we didn’t renew ours this year.  Basketball will be competitive but Dana has got to go.  

That buffoon is too expensive to buy out.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Haha 2

On 6/14/2023 at 10:59 PM, Cougar King said:

I live in the Tampa area and i can attest to the fact that the USF fans i have meet look down on all the new schools coming in to the AAC.  One would think that with the record USF has had lately, they wouldn’t be so sure of themselves.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, eagle73 said:

I live in the Tampa area and i can attest to the fact that the USF fans i have meet look down on all the new schools coming in to the AAC.  One would think that with the record USF has had lately, they wouldn’t be so sure of themselves.

It must be nice to forget that just two decades ago your coaches were working out of double wides. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/12/2023 at 12:39 PM, Glory to the Green said:

How do you think our sales would look like if we also hosted TCU, Texas, Cincinnati, and West Virginia?  I’m not saying we’d have 23,000, but those opponents definitely help their cause.  

Definitely true that the schedule helped their cause.  Texas and TCU alone would get us to 23k.  Hell the one game with Houston at Apogee got us to well over 25k for that one game.   If we had  TCU, Texas (as conference games) and virtually any P5 program (as non-conference) that isn’t a perpetual bottom feeder like Indiana, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, or WSU, we get 23k easy. 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 11:28 AM, Green Otaku said:

It's because UNT athletics are not seen as an in-demand commodity. When a concert sells out in seconds people know they have to scramble to get in or risk missing out. For things to change there needs to be a demand for UNT athletics and to create that demand we have to multiple seasons of championships, top 25 rankings, sweet 16/elite 8 runs for basketball, and hopefully some type of top bowl/cfp for football. Look at the roadmaps that Houston and Cincy had, and what it took for them to be considered a nationally recognized program. 

On 6/12/2023 at 8:30 PM, Green Crazy said:

It would be my assumption that they weren't having that great of time or they don't care that much then.  I'll go to a stars game for free and have a pretty good time, but I won't buy tickets.  🙂

These two comments point to the  bandwagon sports culture in DFW.  I had to stop buy additional season tickets because I couldn't get friends to come consistently FOR FREE.   We don't win enough nor are even stacking wins against big brands consistently (even 2 let alone 3).  Even if you count a win against SMU as big we 1-7 against them in the last 8 years.  If were just 4-4 in an 8 year span against SMU our program would be in a more respectful place in the minds of CFB fans in the metroplex.  The only local team that can consistently expect 90% capacity at its games is the Dallas Cowboys.  And they are they are in the most valuable sports franchise in the world according to Forbes list in 2022.   So them selling out consistently is because they are a state/national/world brand as much as they are a local brand.   And Jerry Jones (like him or not) had to build/rebuild them into that as even they weren't consistently selling out games right before he purchase them.   And winning was a HUGE part of that.  

In CFB you build a programs value chiefly by winning and there isn't away around that.   And the bigger you win the bigger the impact on the program long term.   'Stack a few big wins on top of each other then you have something.  That was biggest bone I had to pick with Seth's multiple extensions.   He did not stack big wins together and therefore his impact on growing the program was minimal.  Going 0.500 or better against SMU in 4 years of contract should be the minimal requirement for an extension that includes a significant raise.  Seth did not do that and you could very well argue that without an undersized Mason Fine playing well beyond anyone's expectation his performance wouldn't have warranted one extension let alone multiple.  How many new fans showed up for the La Tech game for the Mean Joe status unveiling  just to be disappointed?   Nice facilities only go so far.   For instance Vandy is never going to take recruits away from LSU, Alabama, Tennesse and Georgia with a nicer practice facility (even if they got a billionaire to pay of building it and maintaining it).  Recruits still want to will and maximize their potential to get to the NFL.  A losing program without coaches known to help player progress to the NFL isn't getting the best bang for its NIL buck no matter how nice the facilities are.  

• Upvote 1