Guess who leads CUSA in sacks

casual fan

Has to be the least surprising story ever. Our OLine is terrible. I don't know if it's:

1. Power running game blockers adjusting to the Air Raid.

2. Lack of overall talent.

3 Bad OL coaching.

4. A combination of all three.

We need to focus on recruiting the big uglies and quickly. You can't sugar coat it what we're trotting out there. With a decent OLine we could be 3-2 or 4-1 right now. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Has to be the least surprising story ever. Our OLine is terrible. I don't know if it's:

3 Bad OL coaching.

4. A combination of all three.. 

You can be talented and not fit the scheme.  You take a HOFer like Dirk and try to force him into a back to the basket, fight through the contact 5 and he will struggle, make him try and be a pick and roll point guard and he will struggle even more.  Only so much coaching can do.  

The skill set needed by linemen to run macs offense is very different from that needed to run the SL scheme.  

2 hours ago, casual fan said:

Mason Fine has been sacked 17 times which leads CUSA by 2.  Thats's also 2nd in the FBS.  Ouch!

The fact that he has thrown only 1 interception says something about keeping his head in the game.

Blocking please.

Holy Cow!☹️

Get the kid some blocking!  Fine is special but we want to keep him that way. 

GMG!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, casual fan said:

Mason Fine has been sacked 17 times which leads CUSA by 2.  Thats's also 2nd in the FBS.  Ouch!

The fact that he has thrown only 1 interception says something about keeping his head in the game.

Blocking please.

How many times did Stock with MUTS get sacked? Now look at how many times he threw the ball away. He is a red shirt freshman and of course a coaches son.

MFer  needs to start throwing it away and I think that will come with more experience. GMG

• Downvote 5

46 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

3 Bad OL coaching.

4. A combination of all three.

We need to focus on recruiting the big uglies and quickly. You can't sugar coat it what we're trotting out there. With a decent OLine we could be 3-2 or 4-1 right now. 

Who is the OL coach? Seems the DL coach has done an amazing job with what he was given.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

How many times did Stock with MUTS get sacked? Now look at how many times he threw the ball away. He is a red shirt freshman and of course a coaches son.

MFer  needs to start throwing it away and I think that will come with more experience. GMG

Stockstill is a lot more mobile than Fine. Maybe we need to start rolling Fine out.

(as in bootleg)

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Try as you may, this moniker will not stick homie.  Time to abandon ship as it's unflattering as well.

• Upvote 7

45 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Stockstill is a lot more mobile than Fine. Maybe we need to start rolling Fine out.

(as in bootleg)

Don't believe it is mobile because of quickness or experience and knows where to go. He is listed at 6' 200. 

46 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Try as you may, this moniker will not stick homie.  Time to abandon ship as it's unflattering as well.

Mason Finer!!! Ok

• Downvote 2

Let this sink in, we have 13 LB's listed on our roster.  We have 16 OL listed.  

Bernie Santos 0 offers, walk-on 

Jerod Fritsch 0 offers, walk-on from NCTC (played at Northwestern State) http://www.nsudemons.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3289

Elex Woodworth 1 offer from FCS Northwestern State

Creighton Barr 5 offers, Nevada, Arkansas State, Eastern Michigan, Air Force, UNT 

Chris Miles 11 offers per rivals 

Chandler Anthony 4 offers, Illinois State (FCS), Memphis, UNT, Wyoming

R.D. Wegmann Defensive Tackle convert to OL, 1 offer UNT 

Jalen Thomas transfer from ASA 5 offers Marshall, Old Dominion, South Alabama, Georgia State, and UNT

Trey Keenan 16 offers Transfer from Tech was recruited by Cumbie 

TJ Henson Trinity Valley transfer 5 offers from CC, UNT, ECU, Nevada, Georgia State, and UTSA ( I think ) 

Chett Munden 2 offers UNT, ULM, (rivals shows 3 more offers but doesn't list the school) 

Jordan Murray 2 offers San Diego State, UNT, I think I remember he had an SMU offer as well and chose use late.  

Sam Rice SMU transfer, 8 offers, UNT, SMU, Duke, Marshall, Memphis, New Mexico, Utah State, UTEP 

Doro Omerhi Walk on (can't find any offers even from FCS) 

Garrett Gunter Trinity Valley Transfer can't find any info in a quick search 

Wylie Reinhardt TE converted to OL, 2 offers Texas State, and UNT 

No offense to any of these players but, if you look at the overall list it is VERY underwhelming in regards to offers.  Those are one of the strongest indicators if a G5 kid will pan out.  Obviously there are the anomalies which Fine is looking like he will be one.  However, more times than not it is correct. 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Let this sink in, we have 13 LB's listed on our roster.  We have 16 OL listed.  

Bernie Santos 0 offers, walk-on 

Jerod Fritsch 0 offers, walk-on from NCTC (played at Northwestern State) http://www.nsudemons.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3289

Elex Woodworth 1 offer from FCS Northwestern State

Creighton Barr 5 offers, Nevada, Arkansas State, Eastern Michigan, Air Force, UNT 

Chris Miles 11 offers per rivals 

Chandler Anthony 4 offers, Illinois State (FCS), Memphis, UNT, Wyoming

R.D. Wegmann Defensive Tackle convert to OL, 1 offer UNT 

Jalen Thomas transfer from ASA 5 offers Marshall, Old Dominion, South Alabama, Georgia State, and UNT

Trey Keenan 16 offers Transfer from Tech was recruited by Cumbie 

TJ Henson Trinity Valley transfer 5 offers from CC, UNT, ECU, Nevada, Georgia State, and UTSA ( I think ) 

Chett Munden 2 offers UNT, ULM, (rivals shows 3 more offers but doesn't list the school) 

Jordan Murray 2 offers San Diego State, UNT, I think I remember he had an SMU offer as well and chose use late.  

Sam Rice SMU transfer, 8 offers, UNT, SMU, Duke, Marshall, Memphis, New Mexico, Utah State, UTEP 

Doro Omerhi Walk on (can't find any offers even from FCS) 

Garrett Gunter Trinity Valley Transfer can't find any info in a quick search 

Wylie Reinhardt TE converted to OL, 2 offers Texas State, and UNT 

No offense to any of these players but, if you look at the overall list it is VERY underwhelming in regards to offers.  Those are one of the strongest indicators if a G5 kid will pan out.  Obviously there are the anomalies which Fine is looking like he will be one.  However, more times than not it is correct. 

I'm surprised Jalen Thomas hasn't played. Also, on the Seth Litrell show he mentioned Chandler Anthony would have been a player but he is injured (not sure if he said his name, I think he said young recruit from OK).

• Upvote 1

Middle's D was attacking Fine from all over the place, and we just couldn't make any adjustments to take advantage. It's really amazing that we were still semi-remotely in the game when we went for that two point conversion at the end. 

Fine did a good job considering, and I'm definitely worried about his future health if things don't change for the better up front.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, risinggreen said:

Middle's D was attacking Fine from all over the place, and we just couldn't make any adjustments to take advantage. It's really amazing that we were still semi-remotely in the game when we went for that two point conversion at the end. 

Fine did a good job considering, and I'm definitely worried about his future health if things don't change for the better up front.

We are not going to be playing MUTS-like talent for most of the balance of this season.

Will be glad when North Texas is back on top, but doing it because we're damn good & ranked inside the Top 25 rather than the rest of the conference is milk-toast weak. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cerebus said:

You can be talented and not fit the scheme.  You take a HOFer like Dirk and try to force him into a back to the basket, fight through the contact 5 and he will struggle, make him try and be a pick and roll point guard and he will struggle even more.  Only so much coaching can do.  

The skill set needed by linemen to run macs offense is very different from that needed to run the SL scheme.  

See, while this should not be completely overlooked, I think it is being overblown. Let's look at our starting offensive linemen.

Trey Keenan was recruited to play in the air raid at Tech, and couldn't crack the lineup because he wasn't big enough. You would think this scheme fits him better than Mac's scheme. Sam Rice was also recruited to a similar offense in the run and shoot of June Jones at SMU. Creighton Barr was recruited by Mac, but he is a smaller-than-average FBS center so a similar deal to Keenan. And for Garrett Gunter, he's a walkon JUCO transfer so he wasn't recruited to play in a specific offense, since he wasn't recruited at all. Plus he played in a similar offense at TVCC.

This scheme change does seem to hinder Murray and Miles, as they are more hulking, run-blocking tackles but they would be getting exposed in Mccarney's offense too if they can't pass block. I think Woodworth fits well enough either way.

So again, 3 of the 5 starting offensive linemen were not signed to play in Mac's offense, and actually started their college careers in similar offenses.

• Upvote 3

To put things into perspective, the NCAA team record for having a QB sacked the most times in a 12 game season is Rutgers with 61 (5.08 per game) in 2010.

UNT with 5.2 sacks per game is on pace to end up with 62 sacks.

Mason Fine is for sure a tough kid, but please get him some protection.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, casual fan said:

To put things into perspective, the NCAA team record for having a QB sacked the most times in a 12 game season is Rutgers with 61 (5.08 per game) in 2010.

UNT with 5.2 sacks per game is on pace to end up with 62 sacks.

Mason Fine is for sure a tough kid, but please get him some protection.

And that 2010 Rutgers team ended with a 4-8 record, with wins over Norfolk State, Florida International, Army, and UConn.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

See, while this should not be completely overlooked, I think it is being overblown. Let's look at our starting offensive linemen.

Trey Keenan was recruited to play in the air raid at Tech, and couldn't crack the lineup because he wasn't big enough. You would think this scheme fits him better than Mac's scheme. Sam Rice was also recruited to a similar offense in the run and shoot of June Jones at SMU. Creighton Barr was recruited by Mac, but he is a smaller-than-average FBS center so a similar deal to Keenan. And for Garrett Gunter, he's a walkon JUCO transfer so he wasn't recruited to play in a specific offense, since he wasn't recruited at all. Plus he played in a similar offense at TVCC.

This scheme change does seem to hinder Murray and Miles, as they are more hulking, run-blocking tackles but they would be getting exposed in Mccarney's offense too if they can't pass block. I think Woodworth fits well enough either way.

So again, 3 of the 5 starting offensive linemen were not signed to play in Mac's offense, and actually started their college careers in similar offenses.

BillySee58, do you have a take on our other newer (freshmen/RS freshmen) offense linemen recruits?

GMG

19 hours ago, Aldo said:

(as in bootleg)

I don't know about that. It's my impression that rolling out the pocket protection is an even harder thing to block. If the other line was recruited for power blocking, this would expose them even more than regular assignments.

19 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

I don't know about that. It's my impression that rolling out the pocket protection is an even harder thing to block. If the other line was recruited for power blocking, this would expose them even more than regular assignments.

It cuts your throwing lanes in 1/2!