Benford firing watch

UNT90

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Need to be crystal clear here:

I, and many many others on here (I would say 98%+) deeply appreciate everything he (and you, and other deep-pocketed, generous donors) has done, is doing, and will do in the future for our University... financially, or otherwise.

Amen!

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I, and many many others on here (I would say 98%+) deeply appreciate everything he (and you, and other deep-pocketed, generous donors) has done, is doing, and will do in the future for our University... financially, or otherwise.

Exactly.  The only reason those names come up so often is because we recognize the massive influence that their contributions have made to our athletic programs.  Sure, we kvetch about the judgment of the 17 at times, but that's kind of the nature of a fan message board filled with people who have no voice in AD decisions.  It helps us lower our blood pressure to yell on here.  Having said that, I don't even want to imagine where we'd be without those big donors.

• Upvote 1

this is like my worst nightmare... i was really under the impression last year that Benford had a 4 year contract and thought he would have been gone following last season... instead, it looks like i get 2 extra years of Benford... meaning i will have had 4.5 years of UNT basketball i don't want to watch...

12 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

this is like my worst nightmare... i was really under the impression last year that Benford had a 4 year contract and thought he would have been gone following last season... instead, it looks like i get 2 extra years of Benford... meaning i will have had 4.5 years of UNT basketball i don't want to watch...

He's hot one year left on his current deal.

After his performance in year one you could argue that you've already seen THREE extra years!

Go get Trent or Dave Rice.  Dave could have been in over his head at high expectation unlv.  Dude is a monster recruiter and Smastrek knows him well.  Oh yeah and fire benford and rv at the same time.  It's a new day in Mean Green land.  Make UNT great again!

GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

second that motion.  

Now if you wouldn't mind appeasing the masses and removing them both I would be forever indebted to each of you.  I really miss the feeling of winning and being able to defend my university when people made fun of athletics... Haven't been able to do that recently except for a few non revenue sports

Edited by GMG24
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

25 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

The fact that there is no smoke, whatsoever, has me pretty worried.  Maybe the college basketball world is tighter lipped on coaching changes that are in the works, but you'd have thought we'd have heard something by now.

Not a lot of people care anymore...

On the bright side?...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, TIgreen01 said:

The fact that there is no smoke, whatsoever, has me pretty worried.  Maybe the college basketball world is tighter lipped on coaching changes that are in the works, but you'd have thought we'd have heard something by now.

This. Every day goes by and no rumors are starting to surface, Benford starts really planning the next season, at which point I will -like the last 3 seasons- have to hope again (against my better judgment) that I was wrong and he can pull of coaching winning basketball after all and then he will inevitably disappoint me and it will be painfully obvious by about the 5th game of the season. Still, every season the hope grows even fainter and the thought of turning on KNTU to hear about the game appears less and less frequently.

I am still having hope that Smatresk finally gets into action and sends RV into the sunset in some sort of amicable form (lets say somewhere between here and June). But there too: The longer we hear nothing the worse the chances are. UNTs athletic department really is incredibly strong at only communicating good things. Experience shows, that when you hear nothing assume the worst, cause no good thing ever went unspoken and bad things are all too often veiled in silence here. While that may partially be like that everywhere it is particularly strong at UNT, and it is also part of a culture that is helpful in keeping the necessary public oversight away.

Don't worry about Benford's appeal to new recruits. I found one outstanding shot blocker that has agreed to join the team next season. All we are waiting for is a qualifying SAT score.

200.gif

And if you DARE insult him and call him a pussy, he will drive on you and take it to the hole!

200.gif

Edited by EagleMBA
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, outoftown said:

This. Every day goes by and no rumors are starting to surface, Benford starts really planning the next season, at which point I will -like the last 3 seasons- have to hope again (against my better judgment) that I was wrong and he can pull of coaching winning basketball after all and then he will inevitably disappoint me and it will be painfully obvious by about the 5th game of the season. Still, every season the hope grows even fainter and the thought of turning on KNTU to hear about the game appears less and less frequently.

I am still having hope that Smatresk finally gets into action and sends RV into the sunset in some sort of amicable form (lets say somewhere between here and June). But there too: The longer we hear nothing the worse the chances are. UNTs athletic department really is incredibly strong at only communicating good things. Experience shows, that when you hear nothing assume the worst, cause no good thing ever went unspoken and bad things are all too often veiled in silence here. While that may partially be like that everywhere it is particularly strong at UNT, and it is also part of a culture that is helpful in keeping the necessary public oversight away.

The AD doesn't communicate well, regardless if its good or bad news...

Edited by Army of Dad

Here is another conspiracy theory for you:

There was a power struggle last fall. Smatresk wanted RV gone but was outflanked by the 17. Now RV wants Benford gone, but to further weaken RV with the BOR, Smatresk forces RV to keep Benford. 

Lots of holes in this conspiracy theory, as their are in all such theories. But if it could happen anywhere, UNT would be the place. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Here is another conspiracy theory for you:

There was a power struggle last fall. Smatresk wanted RV gone but was outflanked by the 17. Now RV wants Benford gone, but to further weaken RV with the BOR, Smatresk forces RV to keep Benford. 

Lots of holes in this conspiracy theory, as their are in all such theories. But if it could happen anywhere, UNT would be the place. 

I think the administration won't spend a dime on buying out Benford because they already spent money to buyout Petersen and probably have some skin in the game on McCarney's firing, although most of that one came from the UNT 17. Follow the money--if it is gonna cost more, you can guarantee that its not going to happen admininstratively. It'll take someone in the 17 to foot that bill. And the buyout of Mac pretty well knocks that one down.

Someone is going to have to step up to buyout Benford's last year. If not, he comes back in a contract year, something a real program would never allow to happen. But we aren't even close to real.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

Buyout money seems large until you factor in the empty seats (lost revenue) and the possibility of making money by being in the big dance (huge TV revenue). 

You know that we don't make decision on opportunity costs or unknown revenues--its only about known costs, nothing more, nothing less.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2