Benford firing watch

UNT90

Trilli really was a terrific guy. You'd want him to be your neighbor, church member, insurance salesman, etc...he was a hard worker and intensely positive. He just couldn't coach x's and o's above a below-average YMCA coach.

Todd Dodge and Vic Trilli ended up having a lot in common.

Trilli had a great personality and was a great promoter.  He did have issues with telling the truth often, and I actually think he may have been a better coach than most believe at least on the offensive end of the court.   His problem started with I think one of the nastiest things I have seen at NT.  Trilli not renewing but two ships of his first year team all recruited by Jank.  These players gave their all in the most absurd basketball schedule ever at NT.   He brought in some good players but again played an impossible schedule that Helwig apparently wanted to finance the team.  His team of mostly freshmen were destroyed most often on the court.  Players began to leave and with his horrendous record, his later NT recruiting made McCarney look good.

I'd say go to a 2-1-2.  I have my daughter's recreational league team running that and we just held the highest scoring team in the league to 21 points.  The best part is that since there are no real practices, I basically just drew it up on the board and the girls ran it.  It's so simple even Benford could coach it ... maybe.  

All joking aside, I love a 1-3-1 which presents lots of options for trapping.  Dean Smith's point zone is good if you have a good defender for the middle ... and actually practice it. 

Most of the time putting 5 bodies on the court will get it done defensively in a womens league game

Maybe, it depends on NCAA hearing in January and how much he knew about assistants under him doing stuff. He if he a few game suspension then yes. 

Would he come here is my question. Seems to me he could get a better mid major job, maybe I'm wrong. My friend who is a Tennessee alum loved him!!

• Upvote 1

That's exactly what I was looking at.  And I figure even in bad seasons we tend to squeeze out 1-2 wins against teams we shouldn't have beaten.  So that puts us at 10 if we're able to put away those 6 games and sneak in 2 more.  But unless CUSA is worse than expected, I don't see us doing any better than that.

• Upvote 2

I watched Texas State beat UTSA by 30 in San Marcos.  UTSA can't score in a whorehouse.  But hey we are 0-2 against Sunbelt teams.  We will do much better in Confernce USA, right? Right? 

No need to respond it 9:48 on a Saturday morning and might start drinking to help with my basketball depression.

• Upvote 2

So now 0-7 vs D1 teams. We gotta be getting close to the point where even RV will pull the trigger. I believe the firing will happen somewhere between tonight and 2nd of January. But I will admit of being afraid of being too optimistic about RV finally doing something.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1

So now 0-7 vs D1 teams. We gotta be getting close to the point where even RV will pull the trigger. I believe the firing will happen somewhere between tonight and 2nd of January. But I will admit of being afraid of being too optimistic about RV finally doing something.

Can't count on Nicholls State as a win either.  They are 3-4 and have played more tougher opponents than we have.

If pulled, it will be much later in the season.  I believe another big event is likely to happen before our MBB coach is replaced.

• Upvote 3

If pulled, it will be much later in the season.  I believe another big event is likely to happen before our MBB coach is replaced.

Firing both at the same time would be appropriate. Benford is one of the biggest reasons RV should be fired. Canning them both on the same day would be greatness.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2