Benford firing watch

UNT90

but what about same Collegiate year? USC example was one in 2012-13 season and FB in 2013-14 season

UNT looking at same Collegiate Year, remember RV nearly did Calendar year in 2001, fired Trilli and finger on the button for DD until he went on miracle Belt run

Villarreal did not fire Trilli. Dr Pohl believed that athletics were under-emphasized during previous administrations, that the current horrific results were unacceptable, and fired AD Helwig not long after he conducted a formal review of the program (Gene Stallings Group). Pohl then fired Trilli because he didn't want his new AD to have to deal with firing the basketball coach as his first order of business. Pohl then hired RV from USM and RV hired Johnny Jones from Alabama. 

As far as Dickey, he was dammmmmmmn lucky to still have a job after the 5th game of the 2001 season.

• Upvote 1

Villarreal did not fire Trilli. Dr Pohl believed that athletics were under-emphasized during previous administrations, that the current horrific results were unacceptable, and fired AD Helwig not long after he conducted a formal review of the program (Gene Stallings Group). Pohl then fired Trilli because he didn't want his new AD to have to deal with firing the basketball coach as his first order of business. Pohl then hired RV from USM and RV hired Johnny Jones from Alabama. 

As far as Dickey, he was dammmmmmmn lucky to still have a job after the 5th game of the 2001 season.

I was there in Spring 2001 when RV was hired before basketball season ended, Alan Ward was the interim AD at the time and he hired the new tennis coach early in 2001, RV fired Trilli immediately after the season ended and the day after Trilli attended his players funeral. Yes Pohl may have said do it, but it was RV that did the firing and then hired JJ.

I also sat in meeting with Coach Traxler and Gene Stallings on the poor nature of the on campus tennis facilities, granted Stallings was clueless on what a tennis court should look like, yes cracks are a bad thing. So I give RV credit for getting the new tennis facility built at least.

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was there in Spring 2001 when RV was hired before basketball season ended, Alan Ward was the interim AD at the time and he hired the new tennis coach early in 2001, RV fired Trilli immediately after the season ended and the day after Trilli attended his players funeral. Yes Pohl may have said do it, but it was RV that did the firing and then hired JJ.

Your memory deceives you young Greenbowler.

AP Online
03-12-2001
North Texas Fires Coach Vic Trilli

DENTON, Texas (AP) -- North Texas fired coach Vic Trilli on Monday after his teams won just 20 games in four seasons.

Although UNT is still trying to hire an athletic director, school president Norval Pohl said ``we felt it was in the best interest of everybody concerned that a change be made at this time.''

Trilli's teams went 20-87, including 4-24 this season. His best record was the previous year, when the Eagles went 7-20. …

• Upvote 3

maybe a 1-3-1 or a zone that morphs to where it's hard to tell how to score against it.

I'd say go to a 2-1-2.  I have my daughter's recreational league team running that and we just held the highest scoring team in the league to 21 points.  The best part is that since there are no real practices, I basically just drew it up on the board and the girls ran it.  It's so simple even Benford could coach it ... maybe.  

All joking aside, I love a 1-3-1 which presents lots of options for trapping.  Dean Smith's point zone is good if you have a good defender for the middle ... and actually practice it. 

• Upvote 1

I'd say go to a 2-1-2.  I have my daughter's recreational league team running that and we just held the highest scoring team in the league to 21 points.  The best part is that since there are no real practices, I basically just drew it up on the board and the girls ran it.  It's so simple even Benford could coach it ... maybe.  

All joking aside, I love a 1-3-1 which presents lots of options for trapping.  Dean Smith's point zone is good if you have a good defender for the middle ... and actually practice it. 

Donnie Tyndall ran some effective funky zone defense also.

Damn getting old, I just remember it was chaotic and hated the way Dr Pohl and staff handled the firing, knew it had to be done, but the way they handled it was very poor taste

Trilli knew he'd be fired as soon as the last game was over, he'd known it without a doubt since Gene Stallings stated at the open forum " I'm sitting at a division 1 basketball game watching a team with 13 scholarship players being outscored by a NAII team with no scholarships and wondering how this could possibly happen".

There was no good time for firing Trilli as it couldn't be done before the funeral for one of his players. At the time it was the lessor of Trilli's personal issues. Imagine the guilt felt when a player that he'd chastised and run off a couple weeks prior for lack of effort, a player that had recently complained constantly of feeling too exhausted to practice, dies suddenly of  some rare internal complications.

And for the record, I think both Trilli and Pohl were wonderful people. They were friends with each other and they both loved this school. It was just a terribly sad situation that got horribly complicated.

Pohl made the decisions necessary to salvage athletics at North Texas, and for that I will always be grateful.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Trilli knew he'd be fired as soon as the last game was over, he'd known it without a doubt since Gene Stallings stated at the open forum " I'm sitting at a division 1 basketball game watching a team with 13 scholarship players being outscored by a NAII team with no scholarships and wondering how this could possibly happen".

There was no good time for firing Trilli as it couldn't be done before the funeral for one of his players. At the time it was the lessor of Trilli's personal issues. Imagine the guilt felt when a player that he'd chastised and run off a couple weeks prior for lack of effort, a player that had recently complained constantly of feeling too exhausted to practice, dies suddenly of  some rare internal complications.

And for the record, I think both Trilli and Pohl were wonderful people. They were friends with each other and they both loved this school. It was just a terribly sad situation that got horribly complicated.

Pohl made the decisions necessary to salvage athletics at North Texas, and for that I will always be grateful.

Trilli really was a terrific guy. You'd want him to be your neighbor, church member, insurance salesman, etc...he was a hard worker and intensely positive. He just couldn't coach x's and o's above a below-average YMCA coach.

Todd Dodge and Vic Trilli ended up having a lot in common.

• Downvote 1

Sorry...my inner smartass couldn't resist!

200.gif

• Upvote 2