Benford firing watch

UNT90

His problem started with I think one of the nastiest things I have seen at NT.  Trilli not renewing but two ships of his first year team all recruited by Jank.

Here's a story about that move, by Kevin Blackistone, who thought it was sleazy:

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2199&dat=19980405&id=AbYyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=3-gFAAAAIBAJ&pg=5892,2024180&hl=en

The players run off were sophomores Gabe Moeller and Ed Harvey and freshmen Pooh Davis and Robert Washington.

Harvey played one year at UTSA:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ed-harvey-1.html

Davis played two at Northwestern State:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/pooh-davis-1.html

The other two didn't play anywhere else.

A few resulting stats from last night's loss:

- We're now 0-7 against D1 competition on the year, but have lost 11 straight against D1 competition going back to last year.

- This was Benford's 60th career loss. His record is 44-60, 16 games under .500. However, against D1 competition his record is just 36-59*, 23 games under .500.

*excludes 2013 win against Incarnate Word where they were in their first year of D1 ball but were supposed to count as a non-D1 game. RV didn't realize this, so combined with our two exhibition games and two other regular season non-D1 opponents we needed a waiver from the NCAA in order to not have to forfeit games because of this scheduling blunder.

• Upvote 6

- We're now 0-7 against D1 competition on the year, but have lost 11 straight against D1 competition going back to last year.

- This was Benford's 60th career loss. His record is 44-60, 16 games under .500. However, against D1 competition his record is just 36-59*, 23 games under .500.

*excludes 2013 win against Incarnate Word where they were in their first year of D1 ball but were supposed to count as a non-D1 game. RV didn't realize this, so combined with our two exhibition games and two other regular season non-D1 opponents we needed a waiver from the NCAA in order to not have to forfeit games because of this scheduling blunder.

But, uh, look at what uh I have done with uh facilities. 

Edited by GMG24

Get ready to be shocked, people.

As I understand it, basketball scheduling is done by Benford, correct? I mean, it's still an RV ultimate respinsibility because he hired a guy that F'd up the schedule, but would RV have any direct involvement in basketball scheduling?

The crazy thing is RV is going to be allowed to make the next hire because of Littrell. Even though Littrell has yet to coach a game.

I still hold out a slight hope that RV is gone before that hire is made.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Get ready to be shocked, people.

I still hold out a slight hope that RV is gone before that hire is made.

What's going to change between now and then? More Benford losing? 

The president can look at a Benford firing one of two ways:

1) We've had to fire our three highest paid coaches this year and pay big-time buyouts to all of them. I'm fed up with RV so he's out.

or (the most terrifying thought)

2) These coaches we've had to fire were hired before I got here. Now that I'm here it doesn't matter if RV is still the AD. I'm the one making the decisions and the big donors want him here, so I really don't need to fire him.

What's going to change between now and then? More Benford losing? 

The president can look at a Benford firing one of two ways:

1) We've had to fire our three highest paid coaches this year and pay big-time buyouts to all of them. I'm fed up with RV so he's out.

or (the most terrifying thought)

2) These coaches we've had to fire were hired before I got here. Now that I'm here it doesn't matter if RV is still the AD. I'm the one making the decisions and the big donors want him here, so I really don't need to fire him.

I would be shocked if Smatresk thought #2. Remember, he refused to give RV a vote of confidence and then leaked that fact to the media (my assumption. I wouldn't think RV told the media about that). 

Smatresk kniws there are many more things an AD must do that Smatresk doesn't have the time to do. Smatresk has made comments to members of this board about his disappointment in the lack of attendance at football games. He knows he doesn't have time to properly address that problem.

From RV's beaten down podcast interview where he seemed very shaky on a lot of specifics that are going on inside the AD right now, it leaves me the impression that the parties have already agreed on an exit date. Or that could just be wishful thinking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I would be shocked if Smatresk thought #2. Remember, he refused to give RV a vote of confidence and then leaked that fact to the media (my assumption. I wouldn't think RV told the media about that). 

Smatresk kniws there are many more things an AD must do that Smatresk doesn't have the time to do. Smatresk has made comments to members of this board about his disappointment in the lack of attendance at football games. He knows he doesn't have time to properly address that problem.

From RV's beaten down podcast interview where he seemed very shaky on a lot of specifics that are going on inside the AD right now, it leaves me the impression that the parties have already agreed on an exit date. Or that could just be wishful thinking. 

Go back and replay the Littrell hiring presser where Smatresk BRIEFLY introduces RV, who then proceeds to give a lenghty address. Listen carefully to Smatty's words, especially  towards the end re: RV and their "partnership". I didn't post my thoughts on those remarks, lest I jinx the process; draw your own conclusions. Meld those together with the other snippets of info cited in your post above, and elsewhere, and one could start to see a picture...or that could just be wishful thinking.

Only if he is able to take Kimball or Yates to a State Championship.   Think he would be able to do that?

Given that his D1 winning pct. is .379, 2.7 times better than his football counterpart, I would give him a pretty good shot at it.

Nonetheless, that would surely justify everything he did here and continue to hold him in some sort of demigod status.

So appropriate--Dead Man Walking for those who don't know.

Rob Evans is about to get all interim'd up in our bidness within about 3-4 weeks, if not sooner. Predicting this back in the summer was the equivalent of predicting grass to turn green in the springtime--its always been just a matter of when...

If Smatresk tries to fire RV at some point in 2016, it will be interesting to see how the UNT 17 handles that. I'm still of the belief that Smatresk can't get this approved by the BOR because the UNT 17 control it and they want nothing to do with the athletic department in general, but maybe Smatresk is the new Godfather in Denton and heads will roll no matter what.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

• 2 months later...