SMU making pitch to Big 12

Harry

Just thinking through the ramifications of this Big 12 expansion is crazy ---

If they did go with 4 and included Cincy, UConn, Houston and BYU, that would decimate the AAC taking away the top 3 revenue and performers in football and basketball.

They could backfill with C-USA but is a program like SMU going to want to keep traveling for that?  A conference with not one Texas team in it?  What about Navy?  AAC could be in deep doo doo.  Not to mention they will lose TV money based on the defections.

And will Texas EVER give up the Longhorn network?  Methinks no way.  Where else would they get a guaranteed 300 million?  Not from the Big 12 Network, not now with streaming taking over and ESPN laying people off.

What happens when Big 12 takes 4 is you have a clear distinct line between have and have not's.  Which makes regional pairing all the more attractive, especially with the new stipends and lowering of television contracts.

We should pay close attention to how this plays out as it will definitely have an impact on C-USA and where we eventually end up.

They could backfill with C-USA but is a program like SMU going to want to keep traveling for that?  A conference with not one Texas team in it?

@Harry I have no doubt that, if teams including Houston, leave AAC we will see several Texas CUSA teams jump to take their place.  We will be the ones left with few, if any, Texas conference mates

• Upvote 4

Just now, emmitt01 said:

@Harry I have no doubt that, if teams including Houston, leave AAC we will see several Texas CUSA teams jump to take their place.  We will be the ones left with few, if any, Texas conference mates

Agreed, but also the AAC could just implode.  They lose their three top programs by far.  Does SMU, Tulsa, Tulane want to stay in an eastern travel conference or move to regional? The more I think of it, this could be like the old Cusa  (SMU, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, UTEP, UTSA) and we are in the Belt... ugh...

39 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed, but also the AAC could just implode.  They lose their three top programs by far.  Does SMU, Tulsa, Tulane want to stay in an eastern travel conference or move to regional? The more I think of it, this could be like the old Cusa  (SMU, Tulsa, Rice, Tulane, UTEP, UTSA) and we are in the Belt... ugh...

AAC is living on borrowed time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

1 minute ago, Ryan Munthe said:

AAC is living on borrowed time.

If uh, cincy, and uconn all leave it will indeed implode. Or, they just pick up Marshall to give temple and ecu another regional team and sit at 10. That's a short term solution. When AAC reups tv contract a lot of those schools will be scratching their heads. I almost hope that happens to ensure UNT gets some time to improve athletically so when g5 realignment happens we aren't directly allocated to the belt. 

• Upvote 2

SMU's name has always kept them a step above many better programs.  If nothing else you got to admire their chutzpah, there is no rationale reason that SMU is worthy of even being in the conversion.  

With basically no leadership in NT's athletics at this time and very little to sell, NT is not going to be considered for much of anything.   However, I hope that NT no matter what the record can make a much stronger case for a step up in conference affiliation next year and have a lot more to back it up than SMU currently has.        

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not to beat a dead horse here, but it just shows how poorly we have done on the the field as an entire athletic dept. Outside of SMU basketball, which is even questionable, they have done nothing to impose their dominance over NT. Had we just taken care of business or been mediocre, we would have probably made strides in turning around the perception when comparing NT to SMU.

14 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Of course this crap makes the Sports Page headline in the DRC. Why in the world is SMU news worthy of the headline in Denton's paper. 

Because I think the butt hurt concerning treatment by our AD runs deep

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

When I was a young man attending my first year of high school a wizened sage named Floyd passed onto me a morsel of pure distilled wisdom.  

Floyd, despite being a 17 year old high school senior, looked like a 36 year old Port Aransas cocaine dealer.   In fact if you were  to present me evidence that he was in fact a 36 year old Port Aransas cocaine dealer who had bluffed his way into a high school, I would feel a lot of emotions.  Shock and disbelief would not be among them.

I want to make clear that I am only implying every possible pejorative connotation of the phrase "36 year old Port Aransas cocaine dealer."    Despite this handicap, when I first met Floyd he was dating the cutest girl on the dance team.  Late that semester he dropped her to date the head cheerleader.  Then at the start of the next semester when a beautiful new student transferred, he was dating her with a week. 

I had to know his secret.   Was he in a fact a 36 year old Port Aransas cocaine dealer?  No*.  He told me that the secret was to ask.   I was stunned.  What if they said no?  He asked me if I had a girl in mind.  I admitted I did.  He asked me if I was going out with her now.  I was not.  He explained that if I did ask and was turned away nothing had really changed, but if I asked her out I might improve my position.   Making a pitch to her was really a win-win.  

Again, I was stunned.  What about the humiliation?  It passes.  Armed with this knowledge I went and asked my crush out**.  At least SMU is making that pitch.   I mean is flipping up their polo shirt collar, licking their pointer and index finger and then slicking down their eyebrows with them, and then positioning their sunglasses just right on top of their heads going to get them anywhere? Almost assuredly not.  But they made the pitch.  

I hope we now have leadership that understands that having these goals, and making these pitches, even if they probably won't work out is a better way to go about business then just expecting games to sell themselves.  Good leadership has aspirations and shares them with those they are supposed to be leading.    Striving for successes sometimes leads to incredible successes while others just sat on their hands and made fun of you for even trying***.  

*Again, as far as I know.  

** It went terribly.  "Showing up naked on a test day you forgot to study for" nightmare kind of terrible.  However, after a few days of seriously considering hanging myself from a pump jack, it in fact passed.

*** At least it did for me.   If any of you have met my wife you know she is way, way out of my league.    It never should have happened.   I mean I am a NAIA non scholarship school and she is at the very least a top tier SEC West team.