Memphis president, AD react to latest Big 12 expansion, realignment reports

JT Hammons

Whether Memphis is part of Big 12 expansion plans or not, school officials are keeping their cards close to the vest.

Last week, a delegation of Big 12 officials (which included commissioner Brett Yormark) reportedly toured campus as well as Memphis' athletic facilities, while also meeting with key city and university figures. The visit was reportedly part of the Big 12’s “due diligence” as it continued to explore the prospect of expanding.

Yormark subsequently issued a statement to try to poke holes in the initial report.

“I’ve never met with anyone at Memphis about adding them to the Big 12, nor have I been on campus,” he said.

On Wednesday, when asked to address the validity of Yormark’s reported visit, Memphis president Bill Hardgrave declined.

“Yeah, I’m not going to talk about any of that,” he told The Commercial Appeal.

Memphis vice president and athletic director Laird Veatch also neither confirmed nor denied that any meetings took place.

Memphis officials have made it clear in recent years how motivated they are to level-up from a conference affiliation perspective. The school is on the verge of embarking upon a massive renovation project for Simmons Bank Liberty Stadium. The plan is for $150-$200 million worth of work to begin shortly after the 2023 football season and have it completed by before the start of the 2025 season.

read more:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/memphis-president-ad-react-to-latest-big-12-expansion-realignment-reports/ar-AA1czZUR

8 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Memphis to me is nothing more than “Missouri Valley Conference” Memphis.  No big deal.

They really hang their hat on their bball brand.  Sometimes I don't think they realize how far it exists in everyone else's peripheral vision.

I wonder if we can apply some insight from our experience/perception of WKU.  @CMJ any thoughts on how much weight Memphis's bball brand carries?

23 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Memphis to me is nothing more than “Missouri Valley Conference” Memphis.  No big deal.

Back in those days, the Missouri Valley Conference was a pretty nice place to be.  I see Memphis as the kind of school we should be peers with, and we haven't been perceived that way in a while.  I hope we get to be in the same conference together for years to come.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

You say that but it would not surprise me to see SMU offer them suitcases full of money to get the invite.  They are that rich.

Begging and buying are two different things. SMU might buy their way into the PAC, but not the Big 12.

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Begging and buying are two different things. SMU might buy their way into the PAC, but not the Big 12.

I think the media folks have told the PAC12 that Smut doesn't move the needle enough nor add any extra value.