UTSA Fans predict C-USA wins and losses

Harry

For fun: I really think the most consistent indicator of success is returning experience in the lines...especially OL. We had the top OL in the country last year in terms of sacks allowed...and a darn good running game. Nearly all of that returns and we have IMO many more OL skins on the wall than UTSAs. Lucky (or unlucky, depending on the outcome) for them, this is played on the field and not on a spreadsheet.

As far as I'm concerned, they can have Johnny Football taking snaps for them but he can't score if he's not on the field.

I like that table. Very interesting information.

• Upvote 2

Our game had a terrible call as well. But your guy did compare what NT did to KState and what UTSA did to La Tech to what South Alabama did to NT. He's implying NT was clearly a superior team and that they simply overlooked South Alabama the same way La Tech/KState overlooked both of us.

Why do you guys trash South Alabama and FCS teams so much when they account for half of your wins last season? Not to mention the fact that South Alabama outgained you guys despite the loss. But if we're not counting FCS or FBS transitionals you beat FAU and ULL. We beat New Mexico State and Idaho. So basically you had the same amount of FBS wins as a team full of sophomores.

btw theres no reason to exclude FBS transitionals, they count for bowl eligibility so why wouldnt they count here?

smh your analyzing based on a boxscore

1. Nobody expected 8-4, weak schedule or not.

2.We only had about 65 scholarship players.

3. Most of the team, including the majority of the starters were sophomores.

4. QB Eric Soza was out the 2nd half vs Rice, and the entire Utah State and San Jose St games.

5. The La Tech game was not a blowout. 10 point game in the 4th with UTSA getting the ball back after a missed FG (terrible call gave La Tech the ball back). They proceeded to run up the score because they were trying to get into a BCS bowl at the time.

That 8-4 record doesnt make us world beaters but it was an impressive season given those circumstances, people that dont see that or are unwilling to acknowledge that are simply envious. And with all these underclassmen becoming upperclassmen, with two years starting experience (all of them started as freshmen) the team should be better suited to compete with FBS competition. They won't win 8 games, hell theyll have a tough time even reaching .500 but they wont be an easy win either for CUSA's lower half teams like NT.

new mexico state played la tech to a 28-14 loss. that doesn't really mean anything.

• Upvote 2

What injuries kept Soza out last year? I watched parts of a few of the UTSA games on TV last year, and only really took out of it that Soza is a gamer. That said, he's not the biggest kid in the world and the team obviously takes a hit when he's not on the field. Is he going to be an injury risk for UTSA throughout the season? I mean, he missed nearly all of your biggest games (with LaTech being the exception)? That's somewhat concerning.

I hope UTSA does well in OOC, as I've always rooted for our conference mates in OOC games. But that is a BRUTAL opening stretch for a new 1A team that's still building to 85 schollies. As HerdZone pointed out....injuries WILL happen. Quality depth separates the good teams from the bad. By the time we play very late in the season, both teams could have a very different look to them.

• Upvote 3

I just write it off to them being new -- they haven't been in any football conference for any significant period of time so they don't really know how to act... you don't see other C-USA teams coming in here throwing criticism at us. I mean come on, we won 4 games last year. We're in the same conference now -- if anything we should be pulling for each other unless we are playing each other. What he will learn this season is playing against a tougher schedule takes a toll on the psyche of the team and the fanbase. If anything we should both be hopeful that all of the C-USA Texas schools fare well as that will only raise the interest level in our games against each other and help develop rivalries.

Hey correcamino, how about instead of lobbing grenades at your conference mates, be grateful for the fact that you were able to get into C-USA with other Texas teams. We were on an island in the Sun Belt and before that the Big West due to poor decisions and lack of funding and vision by our administration. Guilty as charged. Despite that and piss poor facilities we were able to win the Sun Belt conference for four consecutive years and go to four bowl games in the early 2000's. We then made a BAD hire and are still trying to rebuild from that. It happens. I will tell you this - I have been following North Texas football for a LONG time and we have never been better positioned in all facets (conference, facilities, coaching, etc). You can criticize us for our past but the optimism we have around here is about our future.

Dont be dumb. I know your homerism makes you think your back-up could keep the team afloat but if Cato went down your team would take huge a dip

Actually, no we wouldn't. We wouldn't be throwing the ball 50-60 time a game but Frohnapfel would be very good as a starter. And he could and would start at any CUSA school.

Blake Fronapfel Runs Over Western Carolina DB Ace Clark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cob9ecOHPY

Blake Fronapfel Fakes Out ECU Defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO5VrFH_snE

• Upvote 1

Reading this thread has made me pretty certain that UTSA will beat us this year.

Anytime UNT fans are this confident about something.... Benford'd

You are really suffering from BMGS if you think UTSA will beat us this year.

BMGS--Battered Mean Green Syndrome

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

For fun: I really think the most consistent indicator of success is returning experience in the lines...especially OL. We had the top OL in the country last year in terms of sacks allowed...and a darn good running game. Nearly all of that returns and we have IMO many more OL skins on the wall than UTSAs. Lucky (or unlucky, depending on the outcome) for them, this is played on the field and not on a spreadsheet.

As far as I'm concerned, they can have Johnny Football taking snaps for them but he can't score if he's not on the field.

greenminer...where did you get this data?

We celebrate our 100'th year of playing college football this Fall and UTSA is now (what) in their 3'rd? So why is this discussion even taking place?

Dan McCarney has been slowly stock-piling our team's talent level with CUSA/FBS level college football players for 2 years now since he basically lost his first year of early committs recruiting due to the timeline of his hiring. Many seem to have forgotten how so few players UNT had on scholarships the day he was hired.

This may be a close game for 1 (maybe) 2 quarters, but I really do think by the 3'rd and 4'th quarters there will be no ambiguity or doubt which school has the better across the board talent no matter what took place with this program all those years preceding Coach Mac's hiring.

SMU had a 20 football seasons losing streak when they entered CUSA and so if they can turn it around after that why can't we do the same with nowhere near those kind of losing years on the eve of our own CUSA inauguration year?

We need more foxhole Mean Green conversions coming from this board--not those who will jump out of our foxhole & haul a$$ because they (apparently) don't want an association of what has been a losing program with our alma mater's football program but still............. our UNT fans never having to endure what Kansas State U did for over a half century in the Big 8 and even with SMU's Ponies pulling up lame for well over 2 decades post Death Penalty (which they probably should have never received in the first place looking at what their other SWC bretheran had been doing just as worse). THERE! I SAID IT, SMU'ers! LOL!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen