UTSA Fans predict C-USA wins and losses

Harry

Too much drama goin' on this board surrounding this one game.

TCU lost to those Northwestern "lets hear it for your Demons" State (of the 1-AA Southland Conference) in Coach Patt's first season as Horned Frog HFC. Seems 3-4 conferences later they are now in the Big 12 and Coach Patt is still....the TCU coach.

Come on everybody, sure it would be a huge kick in the family jewels to lose to UTSA, but last season they did beat TSU-SM who murdered University of Houston and by Monday AM we would to the person all be saying...."we're in--let's re-group!"

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Too much drama goin' on this board surrounding this one game.

TCU lost to those Northwestern "lets hear it for your Demons" State (of the 1-AA Southland Conference) in Coach Patt's first season as Horned Frog HFC. Seems 3-4 conferences later they are now in the Big 12 and Coach Patt is still....the TCU coach.

Come on everybody, sure it would be a huge kick in the family jewels to lose to UTSA, but last season they did beat TSU-SM who murdered University of Houston and by Monday AM we would to the person all be saying...."we're in--let's re-group!"

GMG!

come on...if we lose to a start up like UTSA Dan should be fired after the game...you have just learned what kinda of mgmt (coaching) you have in athletics at UNT....if Dan Mac can not beat a startup that doesn't even have a stadium he doesn't deserve to be a head coach...esp at UNT...to me, that is just plain and simple evaluation of your coach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

come on...if we lose to a start up like UTSA Dan should be fired after the game...you have just learned what kinda of mgmt (coaching) you have in athletics at UNT....if Dan Mac can not beat a startup that doesn't even have a stadium he doesn't deserve to be a head coach...esp at UNT...to me, that is just plain and simple evaluation of your coach.

Would you feel the same after a UTSA loss if we finish the season with only 3 losses anyways?

A UTSA loss would suck, but there is a bigger picture...right?

I'm reading your post over and over, thinking this might be a bit. My sarcasm radar is sputtering lately.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

This is the school that had to wait until it was economically comfortable to fire a coach who won 13% of his games. It's no surprise that our fans want to look "big picture" when the prospect of losing to NCTC comes up.

No kidding.

I'm sorry, but losing to UTSA--at home--in their first full year of complete FBS football scheduling, while you've been playing for 100 years is absolutely unacceptable to even think about the "big picture" involving regrouping, especially if we only win 1-2 games this year. Big picture, to me, if this occurred, would involve asking if the university can ever compete in this modern college football world. I think that's a very fair question to ask the program to contemplate if this type of loss occurred.

Northwestern State beating TCU was a huge upset, no doubt. But TCU was coming off some very good years as a program under Franchione with a new coach, Patterson, in place. Not to mention, NW State had been playing football for many, many decades before that game. Besides, TCU wasn't going to buy out Patterson's deal after one loss, no matter what. Absolutely none of those issues exist in the matchup between 100 years of football-playing UNT and 3-years of football existence UTSA. A loss to UTSA is absolutely, unequivocably an ender for most of us--that's why Brett Vito is already calling this the Most Critical Game of the Year, the Suicide Pact Game. Lose to them, and your recruiting will get worse since another Texas FBS team will have passed us by in 3 freaking years. Its a Line-in-the-Sand Game for me--because UTSA ain't winning more than 2 games. I expect 1-11 or 0-12 to be honest with you. If we are one of their wins, its over for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm confident UNT will win at home against this former JUCO.

Also, it will be funny watching UH shred UTSA secondary.

You do know the former JUCOs were within 10 vs La Tech in the fourth quarter last season, right? That was the best offense in the country last year. The JUCOs were made up of like 90% sophomores and freshman too.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT was outgained by fellow start-up South Alabama last season and only managed to beat them by 10 at Apogee. UTSA beat that same South Alabama team in Mobile, Alabama. Do yall even watch your own team? Theres no reason to chalk it up as automatic W.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 2

UNT was outgained by fellow start-up South Alabama last season and only managed to beat them by 10 at Apogee. UTSA beat that same South Alabama team in Mobile, Alabama. Do yall even watch your own team? Theres no reason to chalk it up as automatic W.

Hey, pal, let me clue you in on something that will be real important for you to remember. Last year ain't this year, and just as we played flat against new program South Alabama, so did La Tech against new program UTSA. Its not uncommon for better teams to look waayyyy down on teams that they should dominate.

Just to repeat--last year means nothing for this year. We played K-State damn close on the road for the entire game--and it means absolutely nothing for our games against this year's schedule.

• Upvote 2

Kinda' observing as I read this thread who I'd want to or not want to be in a foxhole with in the heat of a real battle.

If the outcome of merely one game does it for ya' or doesn't do it for ya' with our alma mater, then I think there is something strongly missing with one's support structure (or lack thereof). Hey guys! This is "ONLY" a freakin' football game...not a life or death Armageddon. What got us to this point had to do with much more than what has taken place in Coach McCarney's previous 2 years.

I've seen a few of our alums thru the years get their undies in a wad because I didn't agree with their choice or support of 1 or 2 past UNT HFC's who couldn't carry a legitimate NCAA D1 FBS level coach's jock strap. And such past UNT HFC's cumulative W/L record over a more than fair number of years to judge was the barometer most in the NCAA go by as it is. Oh well, who ever said friends among some would ever be more than that which at best might be called.... shallow? Most of us are only Game Day friends as it is...and that is probably all it ever will be. (I'd bet that a similar Game Day comraderie is a common thread among alums at most all NCAA outposts for that matter.....wouldn't you)?

Still......if all these alums due to a possible UTSA loss are going to jump off the UNT bandwagon as advertised on this thread, then what the hell we going to do with Apogee? This?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOhoz9FIqJE

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Kinda' observing as I read this thread who I'd want to or not want to be in a foxhole with in the heat of a real battle.

If the outcome of merely one game does it for ya' or doesn't do it for ya' with our alma mater, then I think there is something strongly missing with one's support structure (or lack thereof). Hey guys! This is "ONLY" a freakin' football game...not a life or death Armageddon. What got us to this point had to do with much more than what has taken place in Coach McCarney's previous 2 years.

I've seen a few of our alums thru the years get their undies in a wad because I didn't agree with their choice or support of 1 or 2 past UNT HFC's who couldn't carry a legitimate NCAA D1 FBS level coach's jock strap. And such past UNT HFC's cumulative W/L record over a more than fair number of years to judge was the barometer most in the NCAA go by as it is. Oh well, who ever said friends among some would ever be more than that which at best might be called.... shallow? Most of us are only Game Day friends as it is...and that is probably all it ever will be. (I'd bet that a similar Game Day comraderie is a common thread among alums at most all NCAA outposts for that matter.....wouldn't you)?

Still......if all these alums due to a possible UTSA loss are going to jump off the UNT bandwagon as advertised on this thread, then what the hell we going to do with Apogee?

GMG!

Continue to go to games with the rest of the folks in your foxhole?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Continue to go to games with the rest of the folks in your foxhole?

If this is all so painful to you...then why stay and endure the pain? There are a thousand other things that anyone can do than support anything relating to UNT. We have 200K UNT DFW alums that are proof of that. Or.....are you just enjoying all this attention you get as UNT's new Mr. Negative Ned? Look at all the attention GL2G gets on this board as a UNT hater? Is he your role model or something? Dude, go get yourself a new hobby than kicking what you say is your alma mater in the A$$ every other post.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by forerunner viewpost-right.png

@ New Mexico: W - but by no means automatic. What concerns me is that we, as a fan base, want this one so much that we're all calling it as a W. If the team thinks the same way, we'll get beat.
vs OSU: L - loss, but a fun one.
@ Arizona: W - lol yes a win. Don't ask. ALL signs point the other way, but I've had a gut feeling on this game for 2 years.
@ UTEP: W - backup aggy QB doesn't overly concern me; we've faced some talented slingers. Will still be a tough-fought game in all facets.
vs Houston: L - I think this game and the UTEP game are both 50-50. I wrote an L here, but I'm calling at least one win between the two.
@ Marshall: L - Cato > UTEP QB. And Marshall in general is just more talented than us overall. I think Marshall is this year's San Jose State.
vs Rice: L - I would love to call a win here, except I think Rice is the real deal. Sounds funny to say.
vs UAB: W - only because it's @ home and homecoming. I don't think the score will be close, per se, but I would actually have this as a road loss.
@ Tulsa: L - IMO Tulsa may not even be the best team in the division for 2013, but they know how to win. This will be a long shot for us.
vs Tulane: W - I think Vegas will actually have us favored here. We'll see.
@ UNT: L - this or UAB is our WTF loss of the year. I believe we are legitimately better, but I think they may put us on our heels a bit. If so, our fans will rage.
vs La Tech: W - I think La Tech finishes ahead of us in the west, but we have their number. We can beat them. Kenneth Dixon is OP though.

6-6

I do not want to lose to this pile of shit school!"

Wow guys, and I read several other comments comparable to this one about us on their board. Are some UTSA students/fans like these folks really that delusional? They must be either completely ignorant or simply have some sort of jealousy issues toward our university. Regardless, I don't hold absolutely anything against UTSA, but these "fans" are simply foolish. Now I understand why many on this board want our football team to completely humiliate this team at Apogee and in the future. For the sake of shutting up these fools, I am all for that trend to commence this year.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 2

Weak.

A loss shows we aren't committed to athletics. A loss shows that Apogee makes us a dressed up pig.

Dodge's last year showed we have no commitment.

Benford getting another year shows we have no commitment.

If we lose to UTSA, then it's clear we have no commitment.

Why should I commit if we don't?

It's clear our administration thinks lowly of sports...it's all about overpriced student unions we don't need and buildings for bad academic programs...instead of buildings for things we're good at or need. If we lose to UTSA, there's no reason to be an active follower of NT football anymore. Admin doesn't want to win, or just doesn't care.

Why would I, then?

If we lost, Mac wouldn't get fired either...which is more proof. (To be clear, HUGE Mac fan. Hope he succeeds.)

I'm not a fan who will jump off at any second, but the UTSA game is a benchmark showing me if we matter or not.

A loss says we don't matter at the big sports and the administration is cool with that. Despite all the recent donations to athletics, stadiums, etc...if we are OK with getting passed up by a JuCo, then we should hang it up and alumni should stop donating to athletics and focus on academic donations solely. If we lose, I see no reason to keep rooting for us in football. Period. I see why our alumni end up so disconnected, honestly. It's not that we lose, it's that admin doesn't care. After Dickey, what do we do? Hire a high school coach, instead of a big name proven coach to push us over the top for monetary reasons. Or, wait until 20 years after Fouts' expiration date to do anything about it, resulting in us missing out on the first wave of realignment, which likely would have had us in a much better spot than we are now. Oh, and watching a school like a TC-freaking-U become the school of the metroplex in regards to football. Disgusting.

Personally, I find it embarrassing that a school as large and as old as us are still hanging around the lower rung of college football as it is.

That being said, we will win and win big in our breakout season.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 6

Without a doubt, there are some on this board who would have demanded for Hayden Fry's head after his "two win" season in his 2'nd year as North Texas HFC.

And (again) TCU's Patterson would have been a goner after TCU lost to a 1-AA team (and I don't give a damn how long that "1-AA" school had been open for business because fact remains..............they were still a freakin' NCAA D1-AA football program playing a former SWC school that had only the year before beaten the USC Trojans in a Sun Bowl game.

Only time most of us ever judged any North Texas HFC was after they'd been our UNT coach for several years and then most would go by their cumulative W/L record over those number of years); otherwise, most would trust our UNT officials to do what needed to be done or what in a perfect NCAA world should be done.

And yes, some of us (including yours truly) have wondered why after years and years on staff they didn't change some of their modes of operation or why they were not changed but that was yester-year and those yester-year is gone.

So yes, meanjoe, I just re-joined the Mean Green Club and am a season ticket holder again because IMHO....now (especially now on the eve of our 1'st CUSA football season) is the time for all Mean Green'ers everywhere to do what you don't see too much on this forum and what seems to be the "un-North Texas" thing to do and that is to form or create some semblance of solidarity...much like we all did in 1994. Remember 1994? That is when we all did what had to do for "OUR" alma mater to meet the stadium size and attendance criteria to re-join NCAA Division 1-A. We were a raging success with that venture! As some have posted, we've not been as unified since...wonder if history can or will repeat? Most of us who want to see our school progress sure as hell hope that history will repeat.

GMG!

PS: Anyone else feel our football recruiting momentum gaining as each day goes by?

We even saw some samples of that on Fox Sports at the Texas HS Coach's football game in Fort Worth just last night.

Say what you want, but Coach McCarney and staff's Friday Night Lights program is taking a stronghold among Texas HS juniors and seniors but even more importantly....among all of their respective Texas HS football coaches, too. So as Richard "Shaft" Roundtree was asked many times: "Can you dig it?" :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Without a doubt, there are some on this board who would have demanded for Hayden Fry's head after his "two win" season in his 2'nd year as North Texas HFC.

And (again) TCU's Patterson would have been a goner after TCU lost to a 1-AA team (and I don't give a damn how long that "1-AA" school had been open for business because fact remains..............they were still a freakin' NCAA D1-AA football program playing a former SWC school that had only the year before beaten the USC Trojans in a Sun Bowl game.

Only time most of us ever judged any North Texas HFC was after they'd been our UNT coach for several years and then most would go by their cumulative W/L record over those number of years); otherwise, most would trust our UNT officials to do what needed to be done or what in a perfect NCAA world should be done.

And yes, some of us (including yours truly) have wondered why after years and years on staff they didn't change some of their modes of operation or why they were not changed but that was yester-year and those yester-year is gone.

So yes, meanjoe, I just re-joined the Mean Green Club and am a season ticket holder again because IMHO....now (especially now on the eve of our 1'st CUSA football season) is the time for all Mean Green'ers everywhere to do what you don't see too much on this forum and what seems to be the "un-North Texas" thing to do and that is to form or create some semblance of solidarity...much like we all did in 1994. Remember 1994? That is when we all did what had to do for "OUR" alma mater to meet the stadium size and attendance criteria to re-join NCAA Division 1-A. We were a raging success with that venture! As some have posted, we've not been as unified since...wonder if history can or will repeat? Most of us who want to see our school progress sure as hell hope that history will repeat.

Tired of hearing about the past. You sound like a Cowboys fan, but in all actuality it's like being a Browns fan.

Pounding your chest about the 60s.

Here and now. Put up or shut up, NT.

I'm an Astros fan. And a Texans fan. I remember 2-14 well. The Rosencopter. Pujols' Shot Heard around the World. Also a Browns fan. The Drive...etc. Stuck through these terrible years because I see a future. Another 4-8 season says to me "We have no future." If we start losing again early I might stop going completely halfway through the season. Call me a bandwagoner. I don't care.

Results. Bring 'em.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2

Tired of hearing about the past. You sound like a Cowboys fan, but in all actuality it's like being a Browns fan.

Pounding your chest about the 60s.

Here and now. Put up or shut up, NT.

I'm an Astros fan. And a Texans fan. I remember 2-14 well. The Rosencopter. Pujols' Shot Heard around the World. Also a Browns fan. The Drive...etc. Stuck through these terrible years because I see a future. Another 4-8 season says to me "We have no future." If we start losing again early I might stop going completely halfway through the season. Call me a bandwagoner. I don't care.

Results. Bring 'em.

I'm sure Texas HS recruits reading from some of our band-wagon gang are so duly impressed. Don't know if I've ever seen anyone boast about being a possible band-wagon'er, quite frankly.

The past? You want to bring up the past? Well, I do because our past has much to do with the present and the future. Can't we of UNT say that more than anyone? Some learn from the past...some don't. If we older nesters bring up the past , it will be the part of that past that was successful and that past which can be a subtle hint as to what can actually happen at North Texas again. Don't think I see many posting about our unsuccessful past. This might be the very forum that that could occur, though. :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hey, pal, let me clue you in on something that will be real important for you to remember. Last year ain't this year, and just as we played flat against new program South Alabama, so did La Tech against new program UTSA. Its not uncommon for better teams to look waayyyy down on teams that they should dominate.

Just to repeat--last year means nothing for this year. We played K-State damn close on the road for the entire game--and it means absolutely nothing for our games against this year's schedule.

Are you really comparing last years UNT team to La Tech who was Top 25 and KState who was Top 5 all year?

I might buy the 'they looked waayyy down' on lower opponents excuse from them. But UNT? Why in the world would you look down on anybody? You won four games last season, one them against an FCS team. You have one hell of a stupid team in Denton if they were 'looking down' at South Alabama with a 3-6 record entering that game.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Are you really comparing last years UNT team to La Tech who was Top 25 and KState who was Top 5 all year?

I might buy the 'they looked waayyy down' on lower opponents excuse from them. But UNT? Why in the world would you look down on anybody? You won four games last season, one them against an FCS team. You have on hell of a stupid team in Denton if they were 'looking down' at South Alabama.

Hey! Make your points and then leave! We're having a family argument right now and you're taking away from it.

• Upvote 4