UTSA Fans predict C-USA wins and losses

Harry

in 2012 UTSA was 4-4 against D1-A schools and 2-0 against D1-AA schools

north Texas was 3-8 against D1-A schools and 1-0 against D1-AA schools

so with 3 less opportunities UTSA had one more win against D1-A teams than north Texas did

By true FBS teams I mean non-transitional teams. Texas State, South Alabama, and Georgia State were all transitioning to FBS from FCS last year. The only true FBS teams they beat were Idaho and New Mexico State.

EDIT: I would also like to add that North Texas won 1 game against a team (ULL) that played and won a bowl game. UTSA can make no such claim.

It will be interesting to see how they fair against a complete FBS slate.

Edited by UNTFan23

What the Roadrunner needs to understand is that UNT was the guy everyone has bullied over the decades. (Being snubbed from the SWC where everybody in Texas who matters played in and they are still feeling the effects of that today. They were also forced to drop down to FCS, were snubbed from the original CUSA where TCU,UH,Louisville,SMU, Cincy, USF, UCF had epic battles with each other while they looked from the outside with grief and envy.) When they first proposed demolishing Fouts, they were laughed at and ridiculed. They have been down in the dumps for a very long time.

Then comes UTSA out of nowhere and they are simply handed an invite to the conference UNT tried so hard to belong to. Then they hear about UTSAs impressive crowds and decent city coverage. All of this in only 3 short years. UTSA is now on the same level UNT fought for painful decades, losing generation after generation of students.

Think of UNT being that fat ugly chick who lost a crapload of weight, got a new hairdo and is the talk of the town for half a second but here comes this slightly prettier girl who captures everybodys attention without putting in the work she had. That girl is UTSA.

As a psychologist, I can tell you that its a psychological complex amongst UNT fans having to reassure themselves that they are better than UTSA even though there is evidence that seems to point to the contrary.

Yuk! Yuk! Yuk! If YOU are a psychologist then I'm an astronaut. If you were, then you'd need to set an appointment with yourself for some intense therapy. First question you would need to ask yourself is: "Why do I have such a fascination and obsession with a school that for whatever reason its diversity (which is dramatically so much more than my school) and enormity seem to have intimidated me to a blubbering idiot? And so I get on their GMG.com board daily and show myself as well as my :ass: as to what any 12 year old would be able to interpret as a true inferior and wenus-envy complex toward a school that is so much larger than mine?" So with all that in mind.....what would your answer to your own question be, Dr. Phil-Phrog? :rolleyes:

And you a psychologist now? My lilly white Texas arse! You need to go back home to PhrogPhantomPhorum, Mr. PhrogPopPsychologist (at best) and squat on their board for the next 25 years and get the hell off this one. No one has invited you to our living room. Didn't you ever learn the basic ettiquette that you never go anywhere that you're not invited? How gol' darned uncouth of you. How do you act when you go downtown to the Petroleum Club (oh, those were the party'ing days) or FW Club in the ol' Davis bldg. when you are trying to impress one of the Moncriefs, Burnetts, Bass's, etc, etc, etc, grand-daughters for a get rich quick marriage proposal? Surely not the same way you act here? :(

So hop along now' widdle'biddy TCU froggie boy and go enjoy the lower half of the Big 12; you know, just like the old days in the Southwest Conference? BTW, that is "your" school's future as a Big 12 member and I only defer to Baylor who has not won "1" Big 12 football or basketball championship. No ambiguity whatsoever with any of that big guy so.....any further questions?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this game should be a w, but crazier things have happened. i'm sure they've gotten better, they know their team better than we do, but in no way should they use last year's schedule as any basis on how they will do this year.

below are the teams they beat last year and the number of wins for those opponents.

new mexico state - 1 (sacramento st.)

idaho - 1 (new mexico st.)

south alabama - 2 (these two were over fau by 3 and a thriller over nicholls state where they pulled out a w 9-3) first year in fbs

texas a&m commerce - 1 (texas a&m kingsville in overtime)

georgia state - 1 (rhode island) first year in fbs

northwestern oklahoma state - 4 (this is a naia team)

mcneese state - 7 (arguably the best team they beat and won by 7, in san antonio)

texas state - 4 (and won by 7) first year in fbs

in their 4 losses they lost by 20 to rice, 28 to san jose state, 31 to utah state and 24 to la. tech.

even utsa fans have to admit that 8-4 record was smoke and mirrors.

Edited by Green Crazy

Are you really comparing last years UNT team to La Tech who was Top 25 and KState who was Top 5 all year?

Just to clarify here: no, what we're saying is: what you did to LaTech, we did to KState.

You had a great game in Ruston until the fourth quarter. We had a great game in Manhattan until the fourth quarter, though it was riddled with rather questionable referee calls and non-calls.

• Upvote 1

This thread is gold on just about every level.

First, we have UTSA folks showing off the effects of drug usage while predicting how their team will do in their first full year of FBS competition.

Next, we have GMG members basically calling them out on this absolute stupidity.

Then, we have GMG posters basically saying that the UTSA game is a "line-in-the-sand" game because they are so new to this and find losing to them as totally unacceptable. For that amazingly lofty belief, some of us get called out for being "Negative Neds", since we have over 200k living alumni in the Metroplex and over 36k enrollment and 500k in Denton County and won games in the 70s under Hayden Fry... obviously that huge group feels amazingly optimistic and supportive about UNT Football, even though we can't get 20k as an average attendance for a full season. But, never fear, us "Negative Ned's" shouldn't even post about our absolute lowest expectations to be able to step over or, heaven forbid, we say there will be consequences for being unable to beat a team that is about to enter its third effin' year of existence at home. Hell, the DRC should absolutely fire Brett Vito, too, for feeling the same way as these "Negative Neds" since he has coined this game as the biggest of the season for UNT and has even given it a nickname that can't be mentioned because it is not positive...

Keep in mind that most of us in that "Negative Ned" camp believe that the chances of losing to UTSA are less than 1% and that we actually love Coach Mac and believe he is the best thing to happen to UNT Football in 35 years.

Finally, we close with GL2Greatness giving his most succint post in his life, but still missing the complete point of well, everything, and then we get our very own board pinata, Froggy Style, shoe-horning TCU into this argument, even though they don't have either UNT or UTSA on their schedules for the next century.

Gold...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

Folks here (looking at the Mean Green fans) need to chill.

Can you imagine beating up some D-1aa and D-2 teams (and lets not forget NAIA Bacon St, mmmm) and finishing your season at 8-4? That would provide a boost of confidence. Some of you may even consider going to future opposing teams who appear beatable (again, looking at UNT) and talk some smack.

Reality can be a real b-word though. Reality starts for UTSA on 8/31. Until then, it's still fun & games.

The more we have to defend ourselves against their smack-talking, the more we put ourselves on their level.

What do they say about "arguing with fools"?

• Upvote 1

What the Roadrunner needs to understand is that UNT was the guy everyone has bullied over the decades. (Being snubbed from the SWC where everybody in Texas who matters played in and they are still feeling the effects of that today. They were also forced to drop down to FCS, were snubbed from the original CUSA where TCU,UH,Louisville,SMU, Cincy, USF, UCF had epic battles with each other while they looked from the outside with grief and envy.) When they first proposed demolishing Fouts, they were laughed at and ridiculed. They have been down in the dumps for a very long time.

Then comes UTSA out of nowhere and they are simply handed an invite to the conference UNT tried so hard to belong to. Then they hear about UTSAs impressive crowds and decent city coverage. All of this in only 3 short years. UTSA is now on the same level UNT fought for painful decades, losing generation after generation of students.

Think of UNT being that fat ugly chick who lost a crapload of weight, got a new hairdo and is the talk of the town for half a second but here comes this slightly prettier girl who captures everybodys attention without putting in the work she had. That girl is UTSA.

As a psychologist, I can tell you that its a psychological complex amongst UNT fans having to reassure themselves that they are better than UTSA even though there is evidence that seems to point to the contrary.

As a psychologist, I think you should examine your odd infatuation with UNT.

Then again, maybe you just prefer the smarter company of GMG.com to froggieturds.com, or whatever the TCU site is called.

*note: I don't know your fan site because we don't play y'all and aren't in y'all's conference.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just to clarify here: no, what we're saying is: what you did to LaTech, we did to KState.

You had a great game in Ruston until the fourth quarter. We had a great game in Manhattan until the fourth quarter, though it was riddled with rather questionable referee calls and non-calls.

Our game had a terrible call as well. But your guy did compare what NT did to KState and what UTSA did to La Tech to what South Alabama did to NT. He's implying NT was clearly a superior team and that they simply overlooked South Alabama the same way La Tech/KState overlooked both of us.

By true FBS teams I mean non-transitional teams. Texas State, South Alabama, and Georgia State were all transitioning to FBS from FCS last year. The only true FBS teams they beat were Idaho and New Mexico State.

EDIT: I would also like to add that North Texas won 1 game against a team (ULL) that played and won a bowl game. UTSA can make no such claim.

Why do you guys trash South Alabama and FCS teams so much when they account for half of your wins last season? Not to mention the fact that South Alabama outgained you guys despite the loss. But if we're not counting FCS or FBS transitionals you beat FAU and ULL. We beat New Mexico State and Idaho. So basically you had the same amount of FBS wins as a team full of sophomores.

btw theres no reason to exclude FBS transitionals, they count for bowl eligibility so why wouldnt they count here?

this game should be a w, but crazier things have happened. i'm sure they've gotten better, they know their team better than we do, but in no way should they use last year's schedule as any basis on how they will do this year.

below are the teams they beat last year and the number of wins for those opponents.

new mexico state - 1 (sacramento st.)

idaho - 1 (new mexico st.)

south alabama - 2 (these two were over fau by 3 and a thriller over nicholls state where they pulled out a w 9-3) first year in fbs

texas a&m commerce - 1 (texas a&m kingsville in overtime)

georgia state - 1 (rhode island) first year in fbs

northwestern oklahoma state - 4 (this is a naia team)

mcneese state - 7 (arguably the best team they beat and won by 7, in san antonio)

texas state - 4 (and won by 7) first year in fbs

in their 4 losses they lost by 20 to rice, 28 to san jose state, 31 to utah state and 24 to la. tech.

even utsa fans have to admit that 8-4 record was smoke and mirrors.

smh your analyzing based on a boxscore

1. Nobody expected 8-4, weak schedule or not.

2.We only had about 65 scholarship players.

3. Most of the team, including the majority of the starters were sophomores.

4. QB Eric Soza was out the 2nd half vs Rice, and the entire Utah State and San Jose St games.

5. The La Tech game was not a blowout. 10 point game in the 4th with UTSA getting the ball back after a missed FG (terrible call gave La Tech the ball back). They proceeded to run up the score because they were trying to get into a BCS bowl at the time.

That 8-4 record doesnt make us world beaters but it was an impressive season given those circumstances, people that dont see that or are unwilling to acknowledge that are simply envious. And with all these underclassmen becoming upperclassmen, with two years starting experience (all of them started as freshmen) the team should be better suited to compete with FBS competition. They won't win 8 games, hell theyll have a tough time even reaching .500 but they wont be an easy win either for CUSA's lower half teams like NT.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Our game had a terrible call as well. But your guy did compare what NT did to KState and what UTSA did to La Tech to what South Alabama did to NT. He's implying NT was clearly a superior team and that they simply overlooked South Alabama the same way La Tech/KState overlooked both of us.

Why do you guys trash South Alabama and FCS teams so much when they account for half of your wins last season? Not to mention the fact that South Alabama outgained you guys despite the loss. But if we're not counting FCS or FBS transitionals you beat FAU and ULL. We beat New Mexico State and Idaho. So basically you had the same amount of FBS wins as a team full of sophomores.

btw theres no reason to exclude FBS transitionals, they count for bowl eligibility so why wouldnt they count here?

smh your analyzing based on a boxscore

1. Nobody expected 8-4, weak schedule or not.

2.We only had about 65 scholarship players.

3. Most of the team, including the majority of the starters were sophomores.

4. QB Eric Soza was out the 2nd half vs Rice, and the entire Utah State and San Jose St games.

5. The La Tech game was not a blowout. 10 point game in the 4th with UTSA getting the ball back after a missed FG (terrible call gave La Tech the ball back). They proceeded to run up the score because they were trying to get into a BCS bowl at the time.

That 8-4 record doesnt make us world beaters but it was an impressive season given those circumstances, people that dont see that or are unwilling to acknowledge that are simply envious. And with all these underclassmen becoming upperclassmen, with two years starting experience (all of them started as freshmen) the team should be better suited to compete with FBS competition. They won't win 8 games, hell theyll have a tough time even reaching .500 but they wont be an easy win either for CUSA's lower half teams like NT.

Us losing to you would be viewed by everyone (in and out of our fanbase) the same way Georgia losing to us would be viewed. Unacceptable and embarassing. I don't know how much plainer I can put it.

• Upvote 2

This thread is comical as is the one on the UTSA site. UTSA did go 8-4 last year, but lets take a look at their wins and losses:

UTSA Wins:

*South Alabama 2-11

Wins against:

Nicholls State

FAU

*Texas AM Commerce 1-9

Wins against:

Texas AM Kingsville

*GA State 1-10

Wins against:

Rhode Island

*Northwest Oklahoma State 4-7

Wins against:

Oklahoma Panhandle

Air Force (JV)

Southern Nazarene

Arkansas-Monticello

*New Mexico State 1-11

Wins against:

Sacramento State

*McNeese State 7-4

Wins against:

MTSU

McMurry St

Webber St

Northwestern St

Stephan F Austin

Nicholls St, Lamar

*Idaho 1-11

Wins against:

New Mexico State

*Texas State 4-8

Wins against:

Houston

Stephen F Austin

Idaho

New Mexico State

UTSA wins came against 2 of the worst IA programs in Idaho and NMST who was a combined 2-22. Three trans. teams in South Alabama, Texas St and GA State who went 7-29. Two DII teams in TXAM-Commerce and Northwest, Ok ST who combined had a record of 5-16. And they beat a IAA school in McNeese state who went 7-4 with no playoff spot.

UTSA went 8-4 by beating schools that was 23-71 on the season. The only school UTSA beat that had a winning record was McNeese State.

UTSA losses:

Rice 7-6

Losses to:

UCLA

LA Tech

Marshall

Houston

Memphis

Tulsa

San Jose State 11-2

Losses to:

Stanford

Utah State

Utah State 11-2

Losses to:

Wisconsin

BYU

LA Tech 9-3

Losses to:

Texas AM

Utah State

San Jose State

UTSA losses came against schools who were a combined 38-13.

UTSA was out scored by Rice, San Jose State, Utah State and LA Tech 185 to 84 and UTSA was blown out in each contest.

If UTSA doesn't win their 1st game I think they go 0-12.

• Upvote 3

Us losing to you would be viewed by everyone (in and out of our fanbase) the same way Georgia losing to us would be viewed. Unacceptable and embarassing. I don't know how much plainer I can put it.

There's that NT false sense of entitlement. lol

Georgia is a national brand full of tradition, they'd be embarrassed and rightfully so. But you? You won 4 games last season and have been stuck in the least desirable conferences for decades. Nobody knows about you in Texas, much less nationally...you can be embarrassed all you want but nobody else is gonna give a sh-t about your 'unacceptable' loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This thread is comical as is the one on the UTSA site. UTSA did go 8-4 last year, but lets take a look at their wins and losses:

UTSA Wins:

*South Alabama 2-11

Wins against:

Nicholls State

FAU

*Texas AM Commerce 1-9

Wins against:

Texas AM Kingsville

*GA State 1-10

Wins against:

Rhode Island

*Northwest Oklahoma State 4-7

Wins against:

Oklahoma Panhandle

Air Force (JV)

Southern Nazarene

Arkansas-Monticello

*New Mexico State 1-11

Wins against:

Sacramento State

*McNeese State 7-4

Wins against:

MTSU

McMurry St

Webber St

Northwestern St

Stephan F Austin

Nicholls St, Lamar

*Idaho 1-11

Wins against:

New Mexico State

*Texas State 4-8

Wins against:

Houston

Stephen F Austin

Idaho

New Mexico State

UTSA wins came against 2 of the worst IA programs in Idaho and NMST who was a combined 2-22. Three trans. teams in South Alabama, Texas St and GA State who went 7-29. Two DII teams in TXAM-Commerce and Northwest, Ok ST who combined had a record of 5-16. And they beat a IAA school in McNeese state who went 7-4 with no playoff spot.

UTSA went 8-4 by beating schools that was 23-71 on the season. The only school UTSA beat that had a winning record was McNeese State.

UTSA losses:

Rice 7-6

Losses to:

UCLA

LA Tech

Marshall

Houston

Memphis

Tulsa

San Jose State 11-2

Losses to:

Stanford

Utah State

Utah State 11-2

Losses to:

Wisconsin

BYU

LA Tech 9-3

Losses to:

Texas AM

Utah State

San Jose State

UTSA losses came against schools who were a combined 38-13.

UTSA was out scored by Rice, San Jose State, Utah State and LA Tech 185 to 84 and UTSA was blown out in each contest.

If UTSA doesn't win their 1st game I think they go 0-12.

lol nice boxscore analysis bro

Bet you had no idea Soza was out for the Utah State and San Jose State games. Plus half the Rice game.

I guess we will soon see Mr psycho

I suspect UTSA will be wearing "Depends" by the end of the season !!

When North Texas beat the Tennessee Volunteers it got their HFC Bill Battle fired.

So talk about your basic turning lemons into lemonade...Bill Battle would shortly thereafter establish a new company called College Licensing Company. Most of you have something on now, in your closets or in your chest of drawers with its logo on it as I post and as you read.

GMG!

lol nice boxscore analysis bro

Bet you had no idea Soza was out for the Utah State and San Jose State games. Plus half the Rice game.

Big woop, you had an injury. Show me one school in the nation that goes through a full season without injuries. We had 3 go out before the season started last year (season ending injuries) but you don't see any Herd Fans claiming that's the reason we went 5-7. You are going to find out that your players are tiny and you have no depth. The difference with UTSA and Marshall is I have 100% confidence in our back up qb. Blake Frohnapfel who backs up Rakeem Cato. Froh could start anywhere in CUSA.

There's that NT false sense of entitlement. lol

Georgia is a national brand full of tradition, they'd be embarrassed and rightfully so. But you? You won 4 games last season and have been stuck in the least desirable conferences for decades. Nobody knows about you in Texas, much less nationally...you can be embarrassed all you want but nobody else is gonna give a sh-t about your 'unacceptable' loss.

And predicting a 6-6 (or better!) record when is not a false sense of entitlement? Has UTSA beaten a FBS school yet that has posted a winning record?

For fun: I really think the most consistent indicator of success is returning experience in the lines...especially OL. We had the top OL in the country last year in terms of sacks allowed...and a darn good running game. Nearly all of that returns and we have IMO many more OL skins on the wall than UTSAs. Lucky (or unlucky, depending on the outcome) for them, this is played on the field and not on a spreadsheet.

As far as I'm concerned, they can have Johnny Football taking snaps for them but he can't score if he's not on the field.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

What really jumped out at me after looking at those numbers is the size difference at the 2nd string OLers (string - do they even use that term anymore?). UTSA gives up over 20 lbs on average.

I always felt that our starters, for the most part, could play with the big boys but the reason they wore the non-AQs down is because of depth: they keep rotating those hawgs throughout the game without losing a step and we just can't keep up with the depth.

I am hoping the stats above reflect what will be a similar outcome. If they get a jump on us, relax and pay special attention to the substitutions in the trenches. See if they can keep up or if they get tired.

**EDIT:

Also noticed their apparent size advantage on the DL. I know they run a 4-2-5, which might twist those numbers a bit. (or not, I'm not sure)

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

I don't think UNT has a false sense of entitlement at all. We don't expect huge winning seasons with BCS berths most of the time, mostly because we have a ridiculous history of our fanbase disappearing primarily due to an unsupportive administration for decades, in what was a very small artsy town. Now that we have more support, are back to FBS for almost 20 years, and our fanbase is solid though not huge, it's not unreasonable to expect to beat FCS and new FBS teams. As was shown with FAU, that expectation doesn't always come to fruition but is still a reasonable one.

Another part of the problem is that we've changed our name 6 times. That disenfranchised some alums, and did make it hard to be recognized but if you travel, most people still don't know "UNT" but if you say "North Texas", most people with a college education (even in AZ, PA, CA, LA, etc - states where I've traveled the most) generally know who we are. So between our branding and our other problems already mentioned, it has been difficult to gather a steady fanbase and grow the idea of traditions and such, but it still doesn't make us unknown or low-quality, it just means we had a lot of weird crap that appears to finally be getting ironed out.

Luckily for UTSA, they did everything properly right out of the gate, and unless they someday break away from the UT system, have an instantly recognizable brand. Everybody knows the UT system and everybody has heard of San Antonio, so even if nobody heard of the school before, if you say you went to UT-San Antonio it shouldn't be hard to figure out. So they definitely have an edge in terms of how easy it will be (and already has been) to start and transition quickly.

This is more just an issue of awareness than preference. Obviously we each want our own teams to win, and everyone always hopes to pull out a W against a team that would be expected to beat them, but I think the Kool-Aid is strong in San Antonio. UNT is certainly not a powerhouse team, but for them to assume this as a win is a bit more of a reach than the other way around (that kinda sounded wrong but you know what I mean). Anything is possible in college football, but for our game to be compared to any of their wins last season - even with their team being more experienced than they were at the beginning of last season (as is ours) and healthier than during some of the tougher games (ditto) - is quite a stretch. We'll be better able to see how tough a game this is for each after the OOC games unfold, but for now it would be unreasonable to project a UTSA win over UNT. Their program's growth is such that we may not be able to say that for long if it keeps up at this rate, but for now I don't see any logical way to validate a prediction such as that unless you're predicting it as an "upset".

• Upvote 2

Big woop, you had an injury. Show me one school in the nation that goes through a full season without injuries. We had 3 go out before the season started last year (season ending injuries) but you don't see any Herd Fans claiming that's the reason we went 5-7. You are going to find out that your players are tiny and you have no depth. The difference with UTSA and Marshall is I have 100% confidence in our back up qb. Blake Frohnapfel who backs up Rakeem Cato. Froh could start anywhere in CUSA.

Dont be dumb. I know your homerism makes you think your back-up could keep the team afloat but if Cato went down your team would take huge a dip, same happened with Soza and UTSA. I still think we lose to Rice, Utah St and San Jose St regardless but I pointed that out to show how pointless your boxscore analysis was...and how that stat of UTSA getting outscored by quality opponents is misleading.

And predicting a 6-6 (or better!) record when is not a false sense of entitlement? Has UTSA beaten a FBS school yet that has posted a winning record?

I never made those predictions about UTSA. Ive said anywhere from 3-4 wins is the most realistic scenario for our young program, .500 or anything near it would be amazing. We have plenty of overly optimistic fans but Ive never seen any of them express the type of elitist attitude NT displays towards UTSA.

Edited by correcamino
  • Upvote 2