UNT brand

Hopeful

The other day I was informed (by a faculty member) that school officials are working toward dropping the university of north texas name and strictly going by UNT. My first response was, huh? I guess TCU has done the same thing. Everything would strictly say UNT and north texas would no longer be used on anything. My only thought was the football helmets. I dont really get the point, just thought it was interesting.

the big problem is a lot of people will try to pencil in C's in front of UNT when it floats around.

So do we also lose our "North" "Texas" chant??

does every athletic team now have to get new uniforms

do they have to change the huge "University of North Texas" monument on the corner of Eagle

the athletic site will have to change their domain.

All the brand new signage at Appogee stadium

The thing I do like about it is that it wont give UT and other schools the chance to refer to us as "North Texas State"

I just dont see this happening

I would assume it would be along the lines of this, to try and create an image that represents an idea/identity. Its probably for official, academic, and scholar use only. The athletic department would not be affected, they can make their own logos/rules.

http://www.identity.ucla.edu/graphicstandards/UCLAStandardsManual0904.pdf

We have our own rules as well.

http://www.unt.edu/identityguide/print-paper.htm

Our big stone signs won't be effected.

wait...how can we be UNT and not be University of North Texas?? isnt that what UNT stands for. :blink:

I would prefer as a compromise that we use "NT". If it's ok for Notre Dame (ND) to drop the U. it should be ok for us. Most USC fans simply refer to their school as "SC".

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The other day I was informed (by a faculty member) that school officials are working toward dropping the university of north texas name and strictly going by UNT. My first response was, huh? I guess TCU has done the same thing. Everything would strictly say UNT and north texas would no longer be used on anything. My only thought was the football helmets. I dont really get the point, just thought it was interesting.

Hmmm. This discussion sound familiar. I just can't remember where and when.... :rolleyes:

• Downvote 1

Athletics does not have to brand itself the same way as the university. ULL is a good example of this, although they decided to go with a mythical name for their athletic branding :lol: .

Regardless, this has nothing to do with athletic branding. I have always preferred North Texas to UNT, and like the "NT" abbreviation better as well. The academic portion of the university possesses a level of stubborness that is hard to wrap ones head around though, and they don't like North Texas, so I guess this will get interesting.

Football Tomorrow!!!

I would prefer as a compromise that we use "NT". If it's ok for Notre Dame (ND) to drop the U. it should be ok for us. Most USC fans simply refer to their school as "SC".

I completely agree. I find myself more and more saying NT more so than UNT. It's also the NT Daily...

My cheerleader friends were discouraged from using cheers that spell out UNT, and replace them with "We are, North Texas!" cheer. This supports the idea Athletics wants us to be called North Texas.

My friends from USC and ND refer to their schools as SC and ND. Why can't we refer to our school as NT? I tell my friends that I went to North Texas, never the University of North Texas, it's just easy.

Also:

The North Texas Spirit Mark

UNT designed the North Texas logo for use by athletics – the above North Texas logo. This mark was generated specifically for use on athletic uniforms and for other athletic purposes and is not to be used by any other UNT department for official or promotional use. The UNT lettermark and/or wordmark must appear in conjunction with the North Texas logo. Exceptions to this rule are only granted by URCM. Licensed apparel and merchandise and official athletic uniforms are also exempt.

That would be the North Texas logo on the helmets and the front of the Basketball jerseys.

I completely agree. I find myself more and more saying NT more so than UNT. It's also the NT Daily...

My cheerleader friends were discouraged from using cheers that spell out UNT, and replace them with "We are, North Texas!" cheer. This supports the idea Athletics wants us to be called North Texas.

My friends from USC and ND refer to their schools as SC and ND. Why can't we refer to our school as NT? I tell my friends that I went to North Texas, never the University of North Texas, it's just easy.

Also:

That would be the North Texas logo on the helmets and the front of the Basketball jerseys.

I usually tell my friends that I went to "THE" University of North Texas

• Upvote 3

Somehow, the higher-ups have decided that it has to be an "either-or" situation rather than a "both-and" situation. For decades, we have successfully been known as the Eagles with the nickname the "Mean Green." Since we changed our name to the University of North Texas, people have interchangeably referred to the school both as "North Texas" and "UNT" with no confusion whatsoever. You can say either "OU" or "Oklahoma," and people understand what you're saying either way, and no one gets offended.

As far as schools that want to be known only by their initials, usually it's because they're embarrassed about their name. TCU tries to downplay the "Christian," SMU tries to downplay the "Methodist," just like KFC tries to downplay the "fried." Florida International sounds like an airport, so "FIU" it is. But why would we be ashamed of North Texas? We're proud of our state, we have a long history as "North Texas" in some form or another--what's to hide?

• Upvote 2