Sonny Dykes predicts future split among P4, G5 schools: 'Alabama and La Tech aren't playing the same sport'

Plus, more financial differentiation might only accelerate the rate at which top G5 players transfer up to play at P4 institutions.

“These jobs are even harder now because if one of your players has a great season, he’s probably getting plucked away,” Dykes said. “Your only chance is to build a great culture and hope that keeps most of your roster intact.”

And for Morris, the question then becomes about keeping the G5 teams relevant and thriving if they’re more formally in the second class of college football nationwide.

link: https://www.on3.com/news/sonny-dykes-predicts-future-split-among-p4-g5-schools-alabama-and-la-tech-arent-playing-the-same-sport/

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

"Not playing the same sport"... Ok, I think he's overdoing it bit!  Let's not use the team that has been in the National Championship hunt for the past 10 years as the measuring stick.  The better question is your "run of the mill" G5 team versus the upper level P5 teams.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, GMoney said:

"Not playing the same sport"... Ok, I think he's overdoing it bit!  Let's not use the team that has been in the National Championship hunt for the past 10 years as the measuring stick.  The better question is your "run of the mill" G5 team versus the upper level P5 teams.

Exactly.  This coming from Dykes, while he's probably actively recruiting our (G5) rosters.  Anyone confused about his intentions need not be.  He benefits from there being a perceived, or real split.  Screw that guy.

• Upvote 5

SMU.....y'all better come get your boy....he's talking logic. No place for that....

“Would you rather get beat 48-7 to Georgia in the first round or play for a championship?” Lashlee said. “Some say it makes it FCS football, but FCS football thrives for what it is. What saves G5 football is competition.”

“I think fans would’ve loved it if Liberty, SMU, Troy and Boise State were in a four-team playoff last year,” Lashlee said. “Kids will still transfer up or down by at least each school is competing for something.”

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

SMU.....y'all better come get your boy....he's talking logic. No place for that....

“Would you rather get beat 48-7 to Georgia in the first round or play for a championship?” Lashlee said. “Some say it makes it FCS football, but FCS football thrives for what it is. What saves G5 football is competition.”

“I think fans would’ve loved it if Liberty, SMU, Troy and Boise State were in a four-team playoff last year,” Lashlee said. “Kids will still transfer up or down by at least each school is competing for something.”

Hard disagree w/Lashlee. If we end up having an 11-12 win season, I would much rather have the opportunity to play a good P4 team than play another G5 team.  

We already have conference champions. That matters way more than a hypothetical G5 championship to me.  I may be in the minority, though. 

• Upvote 5

It's easy for us to say that now that we're free(er) from these issues.

But Lashlee is only correct if you have resigned yourself to the idea that you'll never be competitive, never move up, and never have substantial interest from anyone other than your own alumni.

Would fans of those four schools, if they have given up all hope, enjoy a competitive playoff more than a meaningless bowl?  Yes.  But that's just joining FCS with more scholarships available.  Anyone could have joined FCS any time.  If you haven't given up hope, it's disgusting.

I do think there could be room for some kind of play-in structure where a G5 tour agent champion ends the year playing a main playoff team that loses in the semi-final or something.  Could generate interest and, since a bunch of the P4 school players will sit out, some Cinderella wins.

22 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

That's where his logic derails......   FCS football does not thrive. With the exception of some FCS dynasties, FCS athletics is largely ignored by the masses. 

If the TV networks would contractually lock in G5 programs into a stand alone playoff that financially made sense, then I am 100% for it. Until that fantasy guarantee comes around it is a bad idea. 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

That's where his logic derails......   FCS football does not thrive. With the exception of some FCS dynasties, FCS athletics is largely ignored by the masses. 

If the TV networks would contractually lock in G5 programs into a stand alone playoff that financially made sense, then I am 100% for it. Until that fantasy guarantee comes around it is a bad idea. 

Agree that FCS is largely ignored.  Even ESPN mostly ignores it on their site.  Dll and NAIA are ignored as well.  Any lower-division will become 3rd class seating and accommodations.

I have watched parts of Montana games and parts of SHSU games and NDSU and some of the Frisco FCS Championship games.  But I never had enough interest to watch an entire FCS game since it became FCS from 1-AA. 

8 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

But the networks largely ignore 99% of G5s, too. 

There are different levels of "ignoring."  Relative to UT and A&M, the networks largely ignore Tech and Baylor.  The football world is far more aware of us now than they were when we were 1-AA.  When we hung with Georgia for a half, the college football world paid attention.  When we spanked Arkansas in a game that featured (one of?) the greatest special teams plays of all time, the college football world paid attention.  If we become part of the "new FCS," the media and average football fan will pay us less attention than ever.

I know the current NIL and transfer portal situation works against G5 schools, but I don't think running away from P4 schools is the answer.  And I could be mistaken, but I don't think the current scenario is sustainable for college football generally speaking in the long term.  I hope a solution can be found that can bring some semblance of amateurism back to college football.  And maybe it can bring a little parity between FBS schools along with it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

There are different levels of "ignoring."  Relative to UT and A&M, the networks largely ignore Tech and Baylor.  The football world is far more aware of us now than they were when we were 1-AA.  When we hung with Georgia for a half, the college football world paid attention.  When we spanked Arkansas in a game that featured (one of?) the greatest special teams plays of all time, the college football world paid attention.  If we become part of the "new FCS," the media and average football fan will pay us less attention than ever.

I know the current NIL and transfer portal situation works against G5 schools, but I don't think running away from P4 schools is the answer.  And I could be mistaken, but I don't think the current scenario is sustainable for college football generally speaking in the long term.  I hope a solution can be found that can bring some semblance of amateurism back to college football.  And maybe it can bring a little parity between FBS schools along with it.

G5s aren't running from P4s. That's like me saying I'm running from Gisele Bundchen. The P4s are trying to find a place in the Power 2, which leaves us in the dust. G5s would LOVE to keep things as they are, just to have the P4 teams play them still and help pay the bills. Also, the crumbs that this level gets by allowing our best team to play a Power team in a playoff that is damn near stacked against them, the ADs and coaches at this level were fine with it as it could get them eyeballs from those power institutions. 

Then the portal business became law. And it has just bombed the rosters of G5s, as the resources aren't there to keep any kind of talent, nor do the G5 schools have the appeal that the Power schools have with these players that grew up dreaming of playing in Norman, Austin, College Station, Fayetteville, Baton Rouge, etc.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

G5s aren't running from P4s. That's like me saying I'm running from Gisele Bundchen.

How's that analogy hold up?  In the current setup, we still get to play P4 teams.  At least for now, the ones we have scheduled are all home-and-homes.  Do you have a comparable association with ex-Mrs. Brady?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

But the networks largely ignore 99% of G5s, too. 

Not true.... at all. Maybe in your mind, it's this way. Maybe when you're watching ESPN highlights, it's this way. The reality is several G5 conferences have multi-year multi-million dollar TV contracts with major networks. Sure. it's peanuts in comparison to major programs, but it's a gigantic financial gap from FCS. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

How's that analogy hold up?  In the current setup, we still get to play P4 teams.  At least for now, the ones we have scheduled are all home-and-homes.  Do you have a comparable association with ex-Mrs. Brady?

You said that you didn’t want the G5s to run away from P4’s. I can promise you the ones running away from the other one is not the scenario you listed above. Yes, schedules will get played or paid out (more likely) between G5s and P4s over the next few years, but UNT isnt running away from playing Tech, for example, but just watch Tech run from playing here in a few years or playing us ever again in the 2030s and beyond. We’d love to play them more often, but they will only play us when they need wins and butts in seats in Lubbock, which UNT will help bring from our fans and their fans who have friends and families that are connected to UNT.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not true.... at all. Maybe in your mind, it's this way. Maybe when you're watching ESPN highlights, it's this way. The reality is several G5 conferences have multi-year multi-million dollar TV contracts with major networks. Sure. it's peanuts in comparison to major programs, but it's a gigantic financial gap from FCS. 

I think being in the AAC greatly elevated our ESPN main channel access.   Every football game was broadcast on at least ESPN+, but we had a main channel game (ESPN, -2 or -U) at least once or twice too.  Never had that much good coverage.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I think being in the AAC greatly elevated our ESPN main channel access.   Every football game was broadcast on at least ESPN+, but we had a main channel game (ESPN, -2 or -U) at least once or twice too.  Never had that much good coverage.

Well, yeah. I know. That's what I'm saying. That's the very comparison I'm making.