Star Telegram

wardly

As if being in the WAC would suddenly fix that.

Oh but it would. I spoke with the FWST telegram sports editor and this is what he had to say: "I just can't respect North Texas while they're in the Sun Belt. With the student fee increase they're getting and the new stadium I have to wonder why they don't behave like one of their freshmen and blow it all on travel expenses to look slightly cooler in the eyes of the 3% of the DFW population who knows enough about college football outside of the big xii to differentiate between the sun belt and the WAC. I just can't conceive of why they would, knowing that startup costs for baseball are potentially around the corner, stand pat in a geographically sensible conference and put that money toward that. Nope, I can only write about them if they do what the school has historically (prior to the 200's) done and that's fail to build a nest egg to continually upgrade facilities and the game day experience as the program grows. When they come to their senses and continue to act in a manner consistent with ignorance of just how little the national media really cares about the small time conferences but rather the occassional 'star' among them we'll start giving them pres again. Who does North Texas think they are anyway, some smarty pants that realizes conferences come after program's and not conferrnce patches?"

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

I called and asked about that too. They have a link to TCU, SMU, UTA, and most of the Big 12 south, but not UNT. I was told that they had cut backs and the UNT guy had to go. The guy I spoke with said they would still cover big UNT events when they came up. At the time I was looking for results for the Sun Belt track and field conference tournement, which UNT was hosting. When I told him this his response was "oh". I don't know if it would be any better if we were in the WAC, but I really doubt it could be worse.

Everyone who has 3 minutes during the week should call the sports department and explain how we feel about being left out of their paper.

I called and asked about that too. They have a link to TCU, SMU, UTA, and most of the Big 12 south, but not UNT. I was told that they had cut backs and the UNT guy had to go. The guy I spoke with said they would still cover big UNT events when they came up. At the time I was looking for results for the Sun Belt track and field conference tournement, which UNT was hosting. When I told him this his response was "oh". I don't know if it would be any better if we were in the WAC, but I really doubt it could be worse.

Everyone who has 3 minutes during the week should call the sports department and explain how we feel about being left out of their paper.

I had cutbacks too and the Star-Telegram has now been trash-canned from my resource list! :P

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Really, cutbacks at the Star-Telegram so they cut out UNT? Two things here;

1) That is stupid

2) What is UNT and the athletic dept doing about it?

Always be careful starting a feud with someone who owns a printing press or a microphone.

I'n saying they should do nothing, but rather to do something positive rather than negative.

• Upvote 1

The Little Rock paper fired a bunch of people last year to cost cut and fired the ASU beat writer. They replaced him with a stringer who would get turned down by Bleacher Report but the number of stories stayed the same. I opted to apply the money from my newspaper budget to my mixed drink budget and I seem much happier.

This cut happened more than a year ago. It must have really affected everyone for this delayed outrage to just be setting in right about now.

Sort of lets you know how many people read the Star-Telegram. Maybe their attitude toward UNT and UNT athletics is one of the reasons.

Sort of lets you know how many people read the Star-Telegram. Maybe their attitude toward UNT and UNT athletics is one of the reasons.

Exactly - we agree! The FWST is a shell of itself with a lot of angry and overworked reporters left who will, if you slip a drink, tell you how much they hate their expanded beats.

I'll tell you what, though, don't ever take up kidnapping. You'll be terrible at ransom notes.

Well, it's like ol' Blue Eyes sang in one of his jillion hits "That's Life"...."riding high in April shot down in May."

Out here in Parker County the FWST is a strong influence. Hellsbells! People out here think because the Van Cliburn Competitions originally started on their campus that makes TCU a better music school than UNT (no kiddin' on that).

Here is one less West O' Plex reader of the FWST until they get their priorities in shape. Heck, the biggest car dealer in the West O' Plex is a UNT graduate, ie, Jerry Durant. Maybe ol' Jerry D. needs to make a call? Agree with another poster inasmuch as: What is UNT doing to very diplomatically correct this problem?

How many on the FWST advisory board present and past have had degrees or backgrounds from our UNT College of Journalism (if thats what they still call that dept.)? Bob Ray Sanders one of that papers local icons, also of PBS/Channel 13 fame is a UNT graduate and a casual acquaintance.

UNT's largest resource is still our numbers (which are hardly shrinking) and all those numbers have faces attached to them that do still tend to buy newspapers. Once the FWST corrects this problem, I will start buying their paper again. (Like Quoner said, though, all this with a scaled down UNT coverage started about a year ago).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I'll tell you what, though, don't ever take up kidnapping. You'll be terrible at ransom notes.

LOL No kidding. KRAM - what's that supposed to mean??

yaSaahtT

I hope you didn't just activate an Al Qaeda sleeper cell.

I noticed this a long while ago... I just get my news from denton rc. what do I care about the town of the cow? I never go out there, nor do I care what is happening out there.

if I wanted to find out if anything of significance is happening out there, I'd be notified by some other method that is more worth my time.