A Hypothetical

A hypothetical   

67 members have voted

1. 1. If you could add ONE to the current team, who would it be?

• Tylor Perry
    • Javion Hamlet
    • Thomas Bell
    • Tony Mitchell

4 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

You can only add one of the choices…and no adding options, just choose from what’s listed.  

Tony Mitchell and it's not even close... You can't get that athleticism very often and to see him develop under proper coaching would have been amazing

• Upvote 5

It's been said already but Tony Mitchell for the simple reason that we really need the size and rim protection. Actually, we'd also need his post presence on offense. We've now won 2 games without 2 starting guards. While either Hamlet or Perry would be the best player on this team, they also don't play positions of need for us right now. Comes down to Bell and Mitchell but I give the edge to TM because he's just bigger.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, GoGreenBeans said:

I’ve only been watching UNT basketball since 2018, so apologies on my lack of Tony Mitchell knowledge. I watched the other 3 dudes and I gotta say, Hamlet was something special. No disrespect to Perry or Bell, but Hamlet was a step above them

Just imagine a player that could shoot the three like anyone else. But play the big and people couldn’t get around him. Oh and he could also jump from center court  and touch the center scoreboard. And had some really decent ball handling skills for his height.

Dude was a treasure and we blew it with his last year with us. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

On 1/14/2024 at 4:04 PM, emmitt01 said:

You can only add one of the choices…and no adding options, just choose from what’s listed.  

This was a fun hypothetical to think through.  Regardless of the current makeup (or any makeup for that matter), adding any one of these players would make a team stronger.  Since many games are won at the charity strip or come down to the wire with a last possession shot, I looked for someone who's hands you wanted the ball in at the end of the game (and who wanted the ball) and had top-notch FT stats.  For these two reasons, I first narrowed my choice down to Hamlet or Perry.  Both are just rock solid from the free throw line and both won multiple games for us with last second heroics.  Once down to those two and for none other than a recency bias, I chose Perry.    

• Downvote 1

All 4 of those guys would make this team immensely better.
For me, it comes down to Hamlet or Mitchell.   
Javion for his handles, and ability to penetrate with that sweet left-handed floater.  And defensively, he'd get after you.
Tony for his off-the-charts talent/size combo, and defensive rim-protection.  A true videogame character.  If Allen wasn't contributing at the level he is, and we really only had Sissoko out there at the 5, it would be a no-brainer for him.

I haven't seen a dude with the killer instinct Javion had though (TP was close, as was Jordan Williams).   Adding his mentality and dribble into the lane, with the ability to either finish with that floater, or dish to an open Edwards/Scott/Jones/Buggs would be absolutely lethal.   
Give me Javion.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Mitchell was the most talented athlete by a substantially margin.   However, I would pick every other choice ahead of him to be on my team.  

I am sure there are players that can duplicate the feat, but Mitchell is the only player I have ever seem dump a basketball with each hand in one jump to the basket.   

• Upvote 3

I went with Bell, with Perry and Hamlet second and third but essentially interchangable. Primarily because I think having someone who can score at his position would help this team more than a great shooter as it would open up the whole offense. That said, the others capacity to find buckets when there are no open looks and the shot clock ticks down would obviously also be tremendously valuable.

Mitchell doesn't figure for me, as despite tremendous athletic talent he never developed into that good a college player.  Had he played for Mac/Hodge (or Jones) that might have been different, but then again they also have a bunch of players whom they don't play if they don't buy in.

Edited by outoftown
  • Confused 1

How was Mitchell not a good player?  He should have been POTY as a freshman and probably didn't only because he was an underclassman.  His sophomore season was a disappointment, but it was for the whole team.

• Upvote 1