Call me crazy...

Hunter Green

6 minutes ago, Hunter Green said:

But I'm optimistic about next year.  Now that Morris and Co. has seen this team for a whole season, they know what they have and what they need to shore up the defense.  They know we have to get bigger, stronger and faster.  I'm confident that will be addressed through the portal. As we have all said, if we just had an average defense, we'd have been an eight win team, at least. Our schedule should be a little easier without the stretch of death, so there's that as well. 

I don't think you are crazy at all.  We got the offense thing figured out.  We just need to shore up the defense and should be ok.

• Upvote 4

We drew a really tough conference schedule this year. Of 13 potential conference opponents, we played the top four and four of the other nine. Contrast that with the Dallas Ponies semi-pro team that played the bottom four and only four of the top nine. 

Plus, our conference schedule gets easier in 2024 with Charlotte (2-6), FAU (3-5), and East Carolina (1-7); and dropping Memphis (6-2) and Tulane (8-0). Of course, this could be subject to change with SMU departing AAC and Army coming in. 

I hear a lot of football guys saying the 3-man defensive line cannot work. I tend to agree.

Tech in Lubbock on September 14 and Wyoming in Denton on September 21 will tell us a lot about the rest of 2024.

Edited by rws69
didn't finish
  • Upvote 7

16 minutes ago, rws69 said:

We drew a really tough conference schedule this year. Of 13 potential conference opponents, we played the top four and four of the other nine. Contrast that with the Dallas Ponies semi-pro team that played the bottom four and only four of the top nine. 

Plus, our conference schedule gets easier in 2024 with Charlotte (2-6), FAU (3-5), and East Carolina (1-7); and dropping Memphis (6-2) and Tulane (8-0). Of course, this could be subject to change with SMU departing AAC and Army coming in. 

I hear a lot of football guys saying the 3-man defensive line cannot work. I tend to agree.

Tech in Lubbock on September 14 and Wyoming in Denton on September 21 will tell us a lot about the rest of 2024.

I knew it was something like that. Thank you for doing the research to clarify.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

It’s *SO* early to predict what we’ll look like next year but if we have offensive continuity and get even marginally better on defense, it’s not crazy to think we’d jump to 8-10 wins. 2024 conference schedule much more favorable than this years. 

So many ifs to make me so unsure of things. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Glory to the Green said:

I’m cautiously optimistic, too. I’m curious how this staff recruits during early signing period. I’m also eager to see how the TP could benefit this staff. I don’t hear much from our Light the Tower Collective.  Is our NIL healthy enough to attract/keep some talent?  I hope so. 

RV is in charge of the Light the Tower Collective. What do you expect. 

• Upvote 3
  • RV 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

I refuse to make any guesses on maybes and ifs. That's how people delude themselves into thinking we are going to be completely different with no evidence, and how we hold onto people here too long. We had a team this year that was very poor on defense, but also had flubs on offense that could have won us games. I don't need Morris and the others to talk about how we will be better next year, go out and show me you are better. 

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

RV is in charge of the Light the Tower Collective. What do you expect. 

RV has nothing to do with it anymore. I believe he resigned sometime last spring or so, and another group has taken it up out of Houston. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rws69 said:

I counted it up for when conference mates that NT had on its schedule played those it did not: The record was 17-4 for those that NT played.

• Upvote 1

There are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about next year. Many have been listed above. The professionals that analyze teams for a living like the writers at DCTF think we should be optimistic as well. I put more trust in those folks that can spend lots of time, resources, and money doing their research. 
Looking back, there were many here last year convinced we’d only win 3 games with a tougher conference and what was thought to be a couple of tough OCC games. We did better in a conference of our peers than they thought. 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1