SMU raises 100 million in a week?

3 minutes ago, drex said:

So sad that a "Christian" university is willing to piss away so much money that could be used for the betterment of society.

This is investment money.  ACC football means we collect even more NIL money to pay to athletes from largely low income families. 

Unlike UNT, our football program could be thought of as a 7 figure charity operation.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

Unlike UNT, our football program could be thought of as a 7 figure charity operation.

Except that's not even remotely why you would pay.

Chances are you are going to end up buying players from higher end and established athletic families. You aren't raising the poor to match the rich.  You're buying the next 5* athlete and patting yourselves on the back for altruism. 

This is why I hate NIL in the current state

• Upvote 4

Last week that blowhard Miller was bragging that he wouldn't lose sleep over a couple hundred million.  Now the announcement is only 100 million.  Looks like he lost a little sleep after all.

The ACC will bleed them for as much as they can.  The AD better hope the donor's get their money's worth because if the results are bad and the money dries up they are toast with no conference distributions.

• Upvote 4

8 hours ago, DentonStang said:

This is investment money.  ACC football means we collect even more NIL money to pay to athletes from largely low income families. 

Do the mods on this forum do anything?

How long does this dummy get to blatantly troll the forum, add nothing to it, and post weird shit like this for?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, DentonStang said:

SMU has always been charitable about giving conference opponents wins.

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I see this as being less about SMU and more about how the bar is shifting in D1 football and the DFW Metroplex itself.

The bar is being raised, and UNT will need to figure out a way to step up if we want to be competitive. 

Making big swings just isn’t in the DNA of this program.  The leadership swings the bats here for singles.  Waiting late to get rid of Seth and not hiring or even publicly pursuing a huge name is typical of UNT.  They hope a Seth or Morris will turn into our Gary Patterson.  And while I hope for that to ironically it is almost unrealistic as hiring Nick Saban.  What SMU is doing though is foolish IMO.  They could have used that money to money whip an elite coaching staff and NIL.  They could dominated AAC a few years, gotten the playoff bids coming 2024 season and after.  With that success they would been in basically the just as good a position when the ACC breaks up.  I don’t think being in the bottom of ACC with no revenue coming in is better than dominating a G5 conference 3-4 years and making the playoff multiple times. 

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

5 hours ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

Do the mods on this forum do anything?

How long does this dummy get to blatantly troll the forum, add nothing to it, and post weird shit like this for?

They only intervene on Fire Morris threads. They can only do so much. AD trying to control public perception on the board. Only thing that would help is a week long strike by all the forum members so that add revenue drops considerably. This maybe a private owned site but I'm sure they want to keep it going. Mods changing/deleting  threads is absolutely disgusting.  It's different if there are threats of violence but to just voice your opinion and for it to be deleted or altered is unexcusable 😉

Edited by herewego
Took out an unnecessary comment. Can't get rid of emoji.
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Surely you jest....

If not I cry Bullsh_t!!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Ok.  I keep hearing we have roughly 200K alumni in the DFW area alone. At $500 a pop, we raise $100M. 

no problem….get it done.  $500 should not be an issue. 

I've always said that if UNT Athletics could get $25.00 annually from every living teacher that has graduated from UNT we could probably raise $10's of millions of dollars each year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, drex said:

So sad that a "Christian" university is willing to piss away so much money that could be used for the betterment of society.

it's individual donors, not the university.

Bored billionaires do crazy things sometimes. 

• Upvote 2