If ACU Beats us…..

Cooke County Kid

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Hayden Fry's first two games coaching at North Texas in 1973...

vs UTA = loss 7-31

vs Memphis = loss 3-24

Eric Morris' first two games coaching at Incarnate Word in 2018...

vs New Mexico = loss 30-62

vs UNT = loss 16-58

The point is, it takes time for a program turnaround....

I am so sorry but do you know how genuinely stupid this is? INCARNATE WORD IS AN FCS TEAM AND BOTH THOSE LOSSES ARE TYPICAL SCORES AGAINST FBS OPPONENTS....

• Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

4 hours ago, Cooke County Kid said:

How is everyone on this board going to react when ACU beats us?  Let’s see we would be 0-4, wait until the end of a 0-12 season to fire EM.  Because if we don’t beat ACU we will be 0-12.  How does this SH*T happen, we go from bad to worse, can’t even just stay bad. Bad hire, admit it and go forward, cut our loses literally and financially. 

I fully expect ACU to win in Denton.  Wouldn’t surprise me at all.  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I guess you weren't around in 1988 when as a 1-AA program we beat Texas Tech and Texas (except for ref error).  Or when we were FBS and lost our home game (badly) to FCS Portland State?  Lol. 

The point that went over your head is Morris built a doormat program and took them deep into the playoffs.  Like Seth, we're stuck with him now for 2-3 years, so you better hope he can perform turnarounds at the FBS level too.

I was at the game in Austin as it was my senior yr.  I also drove up from Houston for the embarrassing loss against FCS Portland St only drive back home the same day and to hear the next day that Mac was fired after the loss.  

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

I guess you weren't around in 1988 when as a 1-AA program we beat Texas Tech and Texas (except for ref error).  Or when we were FBS and lost our home game (badly) to FCS Portland State?  Lol. 

The point that went over your head is Morris built a doormat program and took them deep into the playoffs.  Like Seth, we're stuck with him now for 2-3 years, so you better hope he can perform turnarounds at the FBS level too.

How did Morris do in the years at IWU against D1 comp even when that program was no longer door mat?

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, NT80 said:

Sorry, it is a turnaround.  We had no 69' Camaro with Seth, we had a base Buick with NO frills. 

The program was stagnant under Seth, everyone could see it.  We were losing our best players to the portal and needed to rebuild regardless of any coach this season. 

Morris may not be the answer, but the Program was in worse shape than anyone with NT officially would admit....as we have seen!!

Sure we have a '69 Camaro. It's not a solid matching numbers museum quality Camaro, but even with all the Bondo, no AC, & blown head gaskets, it still has value & potential. Being a university of 45K+ in DFW is an advantage most others just can't replicate. We just don't take advantage of it. For comparison, LA Tech is a '73 Pinto with a nice paint job, that actually runs well. But even so, Ruston is never going to have the resell value we have. 

Now I do agree... Seth had to go. And in my opinion, UNT held on to him for too long. 

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

On 9/10/2023 at 6:03 PM, NT80 said:

Hayden Fry's first two games coaching at North Texas in 1973...

vs UTA = loss 7-31

vs Memphis = loss 3-24

Eric Morris' first two games coaching at Incarnate Word in 2018...

vs New Mexico = loss 30-62

vs UNT = loss 16-58

The point is, it takes time for a program turnaround....

It was never supposed to be a turnaround...that's the real point.  We were supposed to go from 6-7 wins to 9-10 wins...from playing for a conference championship to winning a conference championship...from just going to bowl games to winning bowl games.  All those goals seem like pipe dreams now.  Heck, even where we were (building on a moderately successful foundation) seems like a pipe dream.  We've gone full reverse.  This coaching staff needs to figure it out soon or none of them are going to survive.

• Upvote 4

On 9/10/2023 at 4:51 PM, Cerebus said:

It was, but Morris wasn't here at the time most of the portal recruiting actually happened.   If you wanted us to make an impact this year, then SL should have been let go earlier so the new coach could 1) defend our guys from getting recruited, and 2) recruited other players actually in the portal.

Now that is about the only slack I am willing to cut EM.  The rest of the complaints, such as staff make up, scheme selection, game planning, in game adjustment, etc?  Those all have some (to a lot of) validity. 

I would say that yes....you could cut Morris a little slack there, he can't recruit if he's not here. However I think this shows some of the frustration with the Athletic Department as a whole. Not addressing Littrell sooner falls squarely on Wren Baker's shoulders. I guess his mind was already in Morgantown. 

As for Morris, recruiting time aside, through 2 games he looks woefully unprepared to lead an FBS football team. He's had time to evaluate his players and his staff, schemes, etc. This program doesn't need someone getting on the job training. It looks like that's what we have. 

• Upvote 2

On 9/10/2023 at 4:45 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

I had my doubts in the off-season. And, from what I've read, I think you did too.

While we were signing an army of WR's, I wondered why there wasn't more of an emphasis on the defensive side of the ball (which is where Seth had most of hie issues). The portal was there for us. We can't bring in new players to fit the scheme now. Why were these issues not addressed over the summer? And, why should fans give Morris/Caponi a pass for not doing their jobs? 

I have those same thoughts and questions .  But overall I think it all points a rudderless football program beyond the head coach.  If defense is the problem you address defense in the hiring process.  Maybe go against the trend and hire a head coach from the defensive side of the ball?   Guys who run the Air Raid/Spread are everywhere.  More than likely you aren’t going to find a diamond in the rough that is magically make our existing offensive talent play drastically better in essentially the same system.  You don’t bring in a head coach just to address the QB position unless they are bringing a 4 star QB with them.  And even if you do that you have to really scrutinize the defensive staff they want to bring with them.  Morris was an underwhelming hire imo.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/10/2023 at 5:53 PM, TreeFiddy said:

Our QB, who was benched at halftime, was our leading rusher.  Let that sink in for a minute.

On 9/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, Udomann said:

That tells me you make Cobb's your OC this week. And the waterboy the DC, cause he couldn't do worse, right?

On 9/10/2023 at 6:03 PM, jtm0097 said:

We ran for 41 yards the week before, but yes it's crazy to think about. 

On 9/10/2023 at 9:19 PM, C Rod said:

Exactly. Our defense is dead last in FBS and help isn’t coming this season. If we want any chance of winning, we need to consciously limit the time our defense spends on the field. Ball control and keeping the clock running is paramount. Turn the play calling over to Coach Cobbs, run the football with our stable of backs, and don’t snap it until 2 seconds are left on the play clock. 

I know it sounds strange but Earle was our leading rusher against FIU last season too. We actually ran for 40 yards more on them as a team this season than we did last year. The difference was we were missing Aune’s 400 yards and 5 passing TDs plus we allowed them to move the ball over 500 yards this year while we only allowed them 258 yards last year. 

I guess more than anything it comes down to stops. I guess someone needs to let Caponi know. 736e2ec5-d7ed-4bc2-a186-168ef381c40b_tex

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I know it sounds strange but Earle was our leading rusher against FIU last season too. We actually ran for 40 yards more on them as a team this season than we did last year. The difference was we were missing Aune’s 400 yards and 5 passing TDs plus we allowed them to move the ball over 500 yards this year while we only allowed them 258 yards last year. 

I guess more than anything it comes down to stops. I guess someone needs to let Caponi know. 736e2ec5-d7ed-4bc2-a186-168ef381c40b_tex

Image of Coach wants to see you. Bring your playbook.

• Haha 1

On 9/10/2023 at 9:46 PM, Side.Show.Joe said:

Being a university of 45K+ in DFW is an advantage most others just can't replicate. We just don't take advantage of it. For comparison, LA Tech is a '73 Pinto with a nice paint job, that actually runs well. But even so, Ruston is never going to have the resell value we

Does the administration really believe that we can activate that potential?   I don't believe they do.  Most of the programs that have jumped up to FBS after we did have hired coaches with better resumes that fit their programs better.  Coach McCarney was the first coach on paper that got me excited about Mean Green Football before he coached a game here. The rest were just uninspiring.  Besides McCarney, none with FBS head coaching experience or even FCS head coach to reach the quarter finals in the playoffs.  What should we really expect with these underwhelming coaches?

• Thanks 2
  • RV 1

McCarney remains the first coach we have hired since Bob Tyler to have had FBS head coaching experience. That has really shown, ESPECIALLY with the two worthless HS coaches we hired. Everyone else, except Corky Nelson, has been an OC at FBS levels when they got hired here. Corky, a DC, probably did more with less than anyone. 

That’s why I wanted Gary Patterson. A defense first guy in a state where everyone else focuses on offense first. I’d like to think he could do what Hayden Fry did coming here from the other DFW private. But it’s a moot point now.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

McCarney remains the first coach we have hired since Bob Tyler to have had FBS head coaching experience. That has really shown, ESPECIALLY with the two worthless HS coaches we hired. Everyone else, except Corky Nelson, has been an OC at FBS levels when they got hired here. Corky, a DC, probably did more with less than anyone. 

That’s why I wanted Gary Patterson. A defense first guy in a state where everyone else focuses on offense first. I’d like to think he could do what Hayden Fry did coming here from the other DFW private. But it’s a moot point now.

I liked Gary as well.. but I am not sure he is that interested in being a head coach at this point. Seems to be enjoying retirement and music. As far as the FBS experience as a head coach I can make a huge list of successful head coaches that didn’t have FBS Hc experiences before their job. I just think you have to do a good job evaluating. I can’t say that we have. 

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I liked Gary as well.. but I am not sure he is that interested in being a head coach at this point. Seems to be enjoying retirement and music. As far as the FBS experience as a head coach I can make a huge list of successful head coaches that didn’t have FBS Hc experiences before their job. I just think you have to do a good job evaluating. I can’t say that we have. 

I'm just guessing Patterson would not have come to Denton for what we are paying Morris?  We needed to find our Grant McCasland for football, someone that we could afford. 

Morris checked a lot of boxes that we wanted:  Texas background, college head coaching experience, good spokesman with fans and media, experience in building up programs, could re-establish connections to Texas high schools, familiar with putting together a staff and support staff, etc.

I guess we could have tried the Tom Herman route like FAU did, but he had baggage too.  And FAU got beat at home by Ohio 17-10. Is that much different than our loss to FIU?  Is FAU's roster worse than ours?  Is Herman responsible for that, or is that just expected on the coaching turnover (unless you're Colorado,  lol)?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, NT80 said:

I'm just guessing Patterson would not have come to Denton for what we are paying Morris?  We needed to find our Grant McCasland for football, someone that we could afford. 

Morris checked a lot of boxes that we wanted:  Texas background, college head coaching experience, good spokesman with fans and media, experience in building up programs, could re-establish connections to Texas high schools, familiar with putting together a staff and support staff, etc.

I guess we could have tried the Tom Herman route like FAU did, but he had baggage too.  And FAU got beat at home by Ohio 17-10. Is that much different than our loss to FIU?  Is FAU's roster worse than ours?  Is Herman responsible for that, or is that just expected on the coaching turnover (unless you're Colorado,  lol)?

Ohio won their division in the MAC last year with a 10-4 record!     
FIU finished with 1 win! 
So, YES. It's very, very different.

Bless you NT80, you're really trying... but you're continually missing very important details.

15 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I don’t buy the argument that Morris came too late to build with the portal. We lost all our best players after his arrival so obviously others were able to bring in people after early December. Players were out there. 

I don't either.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1