SMU's future??

GrayEagle

First of all, SMU's future as a member of the Pac 12 is about 99% dead.  It would take a miracle of no small proportion for that to happen.

In my opinion the only chance that I see is for Colorado to leave the Pac 12 and join the Big XII where they were a charter member when it was the Big 8.  If that should happen, Colorado would go to the Big XII after Texas and Oklahoma leave and then they would be one short of having 12.  Then, I believe SMU would be perhaps the #1 candidate.

That's probably the only chance for SMU in the near future.  So, for now, prepare for the Mustangs to stay a member of the AAC.  They'll keep trying as long as there is a P5; it's not that they are avoiding us.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 4

1 hour ago, GrayEagle said:

First of all, SMU's future as a member of the Pac 12 is about 99% dead.  It would take a miracle of no small proportion for that to happen.

In my opinion the only chance that I see is for Colorado to leave the Pac 12 and join the Big XII where they were a charter member when it was the Big 8.  If that should happen, Colorado would go to the Big XII after Texas and Oklahoma leave and then they would be one short of having 12.  Then, I believe SMU would be perhaps the #1 candidate.

That's probably the only chance for SMU in the near future.  So, for now, prepare for the Mustangs to stay a member of the AAC.  They'll keep trying as long as there is a P5; it's not that they are avoiding us.

I think you're slightly behind. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/14/2023 at 10:40 AM, MrAlien said:

What is the Pac12 going forward?  its certainly not what it once was, and it continues to trend down.  sure they could spend a lot of money, but what do they get in return, other then putting a Pac12 logo on their jerseys. 

Really?  If you are really asking this question, then you are pretty clueless. I don't mean this as an insult. There are obvious and substantial benefits to joining a post-USC/UCLA PAC.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 7/13/2023 at 6:59 PM, GrayEagle said:

None of the Big 12 schools in Texas want SMU in the Big 12.  It isn't beneficial to them in any way.  I would also assume the Oklahoma State isn't big on adding another school in DFW to the Big 12.   The last time any of them (besides TCU & Baylor) scheduled them non-conference was 2016.   It has been a decade or since any of the remaining Big 12 schools in Texas/Oklahoma scheduled them.   Baylor was the last one to play them in 2016.   TCU probably would play them just as infrequently today as Baylor does if TCU had gotten into the original Big 12 lineup.  And I don't think it's a coincidence the small private schools are the ones that played SMU most recently.   If PAC 12 was really thinking long term and willing to go short on revenue short term for long term market share they would add multiple schools in our state.  I would add SMU, North Texas, UTSA, and SDSU.   Memphis and Tulane are just too far east and they are smaller markets.  That line up of schools gives the PAC 12 real exposure in Texas and recruits that want to play back in their home state at least once a year P5 options beyond the SEC or Big 12.   We already have history of playing at night anyway and that fits right in with the PAC 12's timezone.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

SMU will end up in the PAC. But, it probably won't look much like the PAC at that point. Colorado is within weeks if not days for bolting to the Big12. Once they officially announce, things are going to get interesting. 

No they aren't. It makes no rational sense for they to happen for a ton of reasons, including from the B12 perspective.

If the PAC is so worthless that their media deal is so low teams will want to bolt, why would the B12 want one of their lowest value teams?  It would be substantially dragging B12 down.  It's gobbledygook.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

CO was one of the lowest valued until Deion set foot in Bolder. Even if they stay, the PAC has lost its marquee teams, will have a terrible media rights deal and the remaining teams will all have one eye continuously looking for a better opportunity. 

11 hours ago, DentonStang said:

Really?  If you are really asking this question, then you are pretty clueless. I don't mean this as an insult. There are obvious and substantial benefits to joining a post-USC/UCLA PAC.  

Of course, more travel miles and points!

8 hours ago, DentonStang said:

No they aren't. It makes no rational sense for they to happen for a ton of reasons, including from the B12 perspective.

If the PAC is so worthless that their media deal is so low teams will want to bolt, why would the B12 want one of their lowest value teams?  It would be substantially dragging B12 down.  It's gobbledygook.

Denver is the #16 ranked media market in the U. S.

Colorado would be a great fit geographically with Texas Tech, Okla St, Kansas, K-State, and Iowa St.

BTW....Phoenix is the #11 ranked media market....next target.

• Upvote 1

I am sure that even a slightly watered down (no UCLA/USC but everyone else) PAC-12 is still paying out a lot more than the AAC. But it is also a lot of traveling out west, and potentially even less exposure from what one hears. Add that remaining schhols will likely want newbies to come in on a sliding payout scale and it is likely not a financial risk, but it is  not an overall slam dunk anymore.

Still it would likely not be good for UNT if SMU left the conference. Right now that conference is regionally fairly nice for UNT. Take out SMU and it becomes less so.

44 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

I'll be crying into our extra $20M+/yr in media money

...while sitting in the bottom half of the conference standings, for everyone to forget.  Drowning in more money than your peers hasn't helped you win a football championship since the mid 1980s.  It'll continue to be the same no matter where you are.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, greenminer said:

...while sitting in the bottom half of the conference standings, for everyone to forget.  Drowning in more money than your peers hasn't helped you win a football championship since the mid 1980s.  It'll continue to be the same no matter where you are.

Sooo back when we were in a power conference and we were paying players we were pretty good? And we will soon be back in a power conference and paying players.

• Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

You will need it to ship your volleyball team to Pullman and your soccer team to Tucson.  

So you think that's all that different financially from where soccer and volleyball are going now already, like Temple, or UConn, or the multiple west coast games they play?