SMU's future??

GrayEagle

2 hours ago, Dpony14 said:

Sooo back when we were in a power conference and we were paying players we were pretty good? And we will soon be back in a power conference and paying players.

50% correct.  You will be paying players.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, DentonStang said:

So you think that's all that different financially from where soccer and volleyball are going now already, like Temple, or UConn, or the multiple west coast games they play?

Games at Tulane, Rice, UTSA, UNT, Tulsa and even UAB could be bus trips.  You can't bus to the PAC 12, and neither can fans by car.   

Yes, it's more $$.   But when UNLV, Boise, Colo St, you and SDSU replace the core Pac12 legacy teams is it really worth it just to have a P5 patch?   I mean unless you're in the SEC or BIG10 (P2) everybody else is going to be G8 anyway.

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Games at Tulane, Rice, UTSA, UNT, Tulsa and even UAB could be bus trips.  You can't bus to the PAC 12, and neither can fans by car.   

Yes, it's more $$.   But when UNLV, Boise, Colo St, you and SDSU replace the core Pac12 legacy teams is it really worth it just to have a P5 patch?   I mean unless you're in the SEC or BIG10 (P2) everybody else is going to be G8 anyway.

Yes, it is objectively better.  

It's looking like 3 tiers.  If it ever gets to just 2 tiers, well everyone is going to reconfig into geographic conferences and cut way back then anyway.  Why give up and not try just because there is a possible scenario 15 years down the line where you end up......no worse than you are today. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dpony14 said:

Sooo back when we were in a power conference and we were paying players we were pretty good? And we will soon be back in a power conference and paying players.

"Power" conferences did not exist until the BCS contracts came about.  But you know that.

And now, all your peers are allowed to pay players, too.

Edited by greenminer

My prediction for SMU is to continue to have more discussion about their team on this board than on their own.

SMU in the NIL era can be a juggernaut despite having to heavily depend on their opponents for much of their home crowds.   

I hope I am wrong, but I believe they will be in the top tier of AAC football with Tulane and Memphis.

I would be happy for SMU to move to the PAC, I think that would further alienate them from their potential DFW fanbase.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1