Breaking: Tylor Perry enters transfer portal

13 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I will just have to disagree. People these days are loose with commitments. To be fair it goes both ways and schools could also move away from players. To me none of it makes sense. People just quit on jobs, marriage, family, etc…. One precedent leads to the other. Somewhere over the last few decades we have lost our way. All about me me me instead of commitment and the betterment of others. I am disappointed in Mac as well. My wife use to see him at the coffee shop and think he was committed to the area. She liked him, but no more and her words were a whole lot worse than mine 🤣. She used it as an example for our son about commitment and actual family over fame and cash. Very disappointed in all of it. 
It was the same with JJ to an extent but he stayed longer and landed his actual dream job. 

Family (wife)> job.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BleedingGreen said:

Family (wife)> job.

Oh for sure! It’s just they bleed together. People who jump from friend groups or jobs are also more likely to leave a family situation as well. 30-40 years ago we saw a lot less of this. Something to be said about consistency and loyalty . 

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

On 4/7/2023 at 5:51 PM, Matt from A700 said:

I just hope he doesn't go to Tech. I don't want Tech thinking we can just be a farm system for them. I wouldn't even mind if he went to OU or OSU. Just not Tech.

This. I felt like for a while there that we were a farm system for UCLA in football.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Andrew said:

What a disgrace this is becoming. Go ahead and ruin your career…. Don’t go coaching and raising others to do the same. Kids need a good roll model. Not someone who ups and bounces to advance themselves. How sad for him. 😢

fred-sanford-you-big-dummy-6jf6fs3riybgiw0f.gif

• Upvote 4
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 2

11 hours ago, Zeleny' Orel said:

Just to add a little context after listening to Mac's introductory event at Tech.  Although I am sure that money and the possibility of advancing his career was part of his decision, there are plenty of family ties to Tech.  His wife played soccer for Tech, his older sister went to Tech, and his grandfather played football for Tech.  To me this seems as if Tech had a special appeal that other colleges may not have had and factored into this decision.  I don't fault Mac for his decison and I think Tylor would be remiss if he did not consider how this all affects his future.  He gave his all to UNT for 2 years, is getting a degree, and only has a one-time chance at setting himself and his family in a position for the future.  I am not sure how you can fault them for that.  And this comes from a 50+ year diehard UNT fan!  I think they are considering family.

Here we were thinking his dream job would be Baylor and it was Tech the entire time.  Oh well, you win some you lose some I guess.  Good info though @Zeleny' Orel

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

14 hours ago, p_phelps said:

You're a joke. Dude literally helped us win our biggest title in nealy a century.   He's EARNED the right to go on a bigger stage or earn an NIL that would set him up for an amazing future.  Get over yourself 

I don't understand the earning the right bit. There is not right to be earned. We could've went .500 and he's still entitled to transfer. There is no "earning".

• Upvote 6
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, L Ron Studdard said:

That betterment of others boiling down to you watching a better local basketball product?

That's called being a diehard fan of your school. Maybe if more North Texas fans cared about the best interest of North Texas, other than a "fan" like you who doesn't care about their "local" product, things could be better.

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

I don't understand the earning the right bit. There is not right to be earned. We could've went .500 and he's still entitled to transfer. There is no "earning".

Ok fair he's earned our respect to allow him to move on to bigger things with more money in his pocket 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

College basketball transfer portal: Ranking the best players available right now
-The Athletic April 10, 2023

1. Hunter Dickinson | 7-1 center | Two years of eligibility | Michigan

2. Tylor Perry | 5-11 guard | Two years of eligibility | North Texas

The Conference USA Player of the Year has declared for the NBA Draft and also put his name in the transfer portal. Winning the player of the year in that conference should hold more weight than ever before, because not only did FAU make the Final Four, but North Texas won the NIT and beat UAB in the championship. The league was good this year. Perry is one of the best shooters in the country. He has logo range and has shot 41 percent from 3 in two seasons at North Texas. That’s an impressive number considering some of the hard shots he takes. He can make shots all over the floor — off the catch, off the move and off the dribble. He’s elite in all areas. He makes 45 percent of his shots off the bounce, per Synergy, and was the second-most efficient shooter off the dribble among players with at least 100 attempts. He’s got a ton of wiggle and scores well out of ball screens and in isolation. He plays under control when he gets in the paint and his strength makes up for his lack of height. He has a high free throw rate and shoots 88 percent at the line. He is a scoring guard, and ideally, he’s paired with a bigger point guard, which is the setup he had at North Texas alongside 6-foot-3 Kai Huntsberry. Perry can also defend and has played for an elite defensive coach in Grant McCasland. The dude is just a winner who makes huge shots. Obviously Texas Tech is a school to watch here with McCasland making the move to Lubbock from North Texas, but Perry will get plenty of interest across the country if he decides to return to school.

3. Ryan Nembhard | 6-0 point guard | Two years of eligibility | Creighton

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Pissed 1

15 hours ago, Greenrex said:

College basketball transfer portal: Ranking the best players available right now
-The Athletic April 10, 2023

1. Hunter Dickinson | 7-1 center | Two years of eligibility | Michigan

2. Tylor Perry | 5-11 guard | Two years of eligibility | North Texas

The Conference USA Player of the Year has declared for the NBA Draft and also put his name in the transfer portal. Winning the player of the year in that conference should hold more weight than ever before, because not only did FAU make the Final Four, but North Texas won the NIT and beat UAB in the championship. The league was good this year. Perry is one of the best shooters in the country. He has logo range and has shot 41 percent from 3 in two seasons at North Texas. That’s an impressive number considering some of the hard shots he takes. He can make shots all over the floor — off the catch, off the move and off the dribble. He’s elite in all areas. He makes 45 percent of his shots off the bounce, per Synergy, and was the second-most efficient shooter off the dribble among players with at least 100 attempts. He’s got a ton of wiggle and scores well out of ball screens and in isolation. He plays under control when he gets in the paint and his strength makes up for his lack of height. He has a high free throw rate and shoots 88 percent at the line. He is a scoring guard, and ideally, he’s paired with a bigger point guard, which is the setup he had at North Texas alongside 6-foot-3 Kai Huntsberry. Perry can also defend and has played for an elite defensive coach in Grant McCasland. The dude is just a winner who makes huge shots. Obviously Texas Tech is a school to watch here with McCasland making the move to Lubbock from North Texas, but Perry will get plenty of interest across the country if he decides to return to school.

3. Ryan Nembhard | 6-0 point guard | Two years of eligibility | Creighton

Doesn't he only have 1 year left?

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, p_phelps said:

Ok fair he's earned our respect to allow him to move on to bigger things with more money in his pocket 

he is graduating from UNT with a degree, why do so many not realize that. 

He played his 2 yrs got his degree and he is utilizing the extra gift year due to COVID. 

Just wish him well and be thankful he got his degree from UNT. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, untbowler said:

he is graduating from UNT with a degree, why do so many not realize that. 

He played his 2 yrs got his degree and he is utilizing the extra gift year due to COVID. 

Just wish him well and be thankful he got his degree from UNT. 

Wait a second.  This guy had a chance to be the most beloved player in the history of UNT.  He always said his dream was to play for UNT as his cousin Jeff Simpson played here when he was a kid.

What you say is true, we do wish him well and thank him for all he did whilest here.

But excuse us if some can walk and chew gum at the same time.  We are not happy about him leaving and using this as a junior college.  Sorry if that hurts your feelings, but it is the truth and you know it. 

We have to get out of this, "woe is me I'm a UNT fan and I have a chip on my shoulder mentality."  It is ok to express disappointment when a key player in your history decides to finish his career and legacy somewhere else.

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Pissed 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I don't dislike the young man, but I hate that he is transferring and what the portal/NIL is doing to the college game.  I wish him well, but it will tarnish my thoughts of him being a NT player through and through and a legend of North Texas

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

All of you schmucks that are pissy because Mac and TP are seeking a better opportunity are being very disingenuous!  Do you berate your friends at work for doing it?  When the OC at Guyer leaves for a head coaching job, do you break out the pitchforks?  My gosh…life is about maximizing your potential and seeking new and more difficult challenges!  These men are moving up in ways that exceed what UNT can offer at this time.  I want us to be successful and become a destination program…but that happens with sustained success that is built over decades.  We are 6 years into a 20 year vision.  Ross is keeping a ton of skilled players that definitively would have hit the road if he hadn’t been promoted. This is how you become a Gonzaga, a Villanova, or an Xavier.  Get over yourselves!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

11 minutes ago, 2020 Sucks said:

All of you schmucks that are pissy because Mac and TP are seeking a better opportunity are being very disingenuous!  Do you berate your friends at work for doing it?  When the OC at Guyer leaves for a head coaching job, do you break out the pitchforks?  My gosh…life is about maximizing your potential and seeking new and more difficult challenges!  These men are moving up in ways that exceed what UNT can offer at this time.  I want us to be successful and become a destination program…but that happens with sustained success that is built over decades.  We are 6 years into a 20 year vision.  Ross is keeping a ton of skilled players that definitively would have hit the road if he hadn’t been promoted. This is how you become a Gonzaga, a Villanova, or an Xavier.  Get over yourselves!

My, aren't you pissy.

I would guess the one's that are good with this are a majority of mid-20's to 30 and younger and the ones opposed are older.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1